Neurontin?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Mark wrote: For those who have tried neurontin and stopped what has been your main reason for stopping? Wast it lack of effectiveness, side effects, or just because the dose was getting too high even though the effectiveness and side effects were ok? Did you ever get to a point where the effectiveness was good and you didn't have to increase the doseage for a long period of time? What was the longest period between dose increases?

Mark, I only tried it for 2 weeks, and then stopped. I took the first pill and it just made me goofy. That was OK, though. After a few days, I upped the dose to 600 mg. (what the prescription was for, no titration period). I didn't really mind the drug in the evening when I took it. After the first few days I hardly noticed it. But I had a lot of daytime fatigue. I quit taking it a week ago and am starting to have energy again.

For me the Vicodin is enough to control the RLS, and I really don't have any adverse effects from it during the daytime. Now I just have to convince my doctor to give me a prescription for it long term. Not easy in this day of DEA-run health care. I suppose I could try Ultram, but that affects the seratonin system, and has interactions with all kinds of other meds, especially antidepressants, and I just don't want to mess with it if I don't have to.

It's all one giant puzzle to figure out, isn't it.

Susan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Thanks for the feedback.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

brandy

Post by brandy »

I know I've mentioned it before, but in case anybody missed it - we cannot take antihistamines, but antacids can work when you have bad itching. I had a reaction to a medicine that was causing me to claw myself at night in my sleep. I would literally wake up bleeding. My doctor suggested I take either Zantac or Tagamet because drugs like Benadryl work on one histamine and drugs like Zantac work on the other histamine. I got some great relief by taking Tagamet. It might not work for everyone, but it is definitely worth a shot. Also, with regard to Mark's question - I have been on Neurontin for a number of months and have found that I have almost no side effects and it continues to be very effective with the PLM's - and I had a serious problem with them before. In the approximately 8 months that I have been taking it, I have not had to increase my dosage at all - although I am at 1200 mg, which is slightly higher than you. Keep your hope up and know that some people do find relief from drugs and have little or no side effects. It is possible that you have found what will work for you. I am so happy for you. I hope that you contine to find relief.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've found ONE antihistamine that I can take--Claratin. I've had hives and finally had to do something. Someone else who has RLS suggested Claratin and I can take that. I don't know how it would affect anyone else, but Benadryl is like poison to me. So, you might try it, if you feel lucky. LOL

Good luck with the itchies.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Brandy, Appreciate the info on the neurontin. Your post gives me hope that I also might continue to have some success without having to up the dose frequently. Best of luck with your continued success.

I also take Claritin on a somewhat regular basis and have not had a problem with worsening symptoms.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Ok , will make this my last post unless changes occur.

I have continued to do well on a single, 900 mg dose of neurontin for PLM. I have used an additional 100 mg if I awake at night with symptoms. Side effects continue to be manageable at this time. I perhaps am developing some drowsiness, which is a first, after about 90 minutes. Actually fell asleep on the couch watching Letterman one night. Have had at least two recent nights where I have gone to bed (regular schedule) and fell asleep like a normal person and pretty much slept through the night like a normal person. It has been more than a year, at least, since I remember having such a restful sleep and relatively normal sleep schedule for a few days. I continue to be greatful. I confess that I worry about when the bubble will burst. But, maybe I will continue to be lucky for a long while.

Am a bit troubled and self-conscious posting about my recent good fortune as I know, from being part of this board, the suffering so many have with this condition as well as how fragile and fleeting these arrangements are. I know that it was through the advice and encouragement of other posts regarding neurontin that perhaps I persevered in staying with it and have had the relief I am currently experiencing..no matter how brief. I hope my progress postings will be helpful to someone else with respect to neurontin and rls but particularly PLM.

I will still be here in my annoying way whatever happens and continue to sincerely wish all who journey here hope, peace, and rest.

ctravel12

neurontin?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Mark You are certainly are not annoying. You have given alot of good advise and support to all of us. I hope that you continue to post. We enjoy hearing from you.

Take care and glad that you are sleeping so much better and doing well.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Kwazylegs

Post by Kwazylegs »

Mark,
Once again...so glad that your Neurontin dosing is still working out for you! I also sometimes am hesitant to post about things going well for me, knowing that for many others, their search for relief is still ongoing. But, if nobody here ever posted about their successes, there wouldn't be much hope going around for those of us who are still in pain. We need an occasional dose of hope on this forum, to keep us trying to discover what will work for our own particular pain and discomfort. So keep on posting...whatever degree of relief you've obtained (or not), so that we can all celebrate any success, and offer support when relief seems elusive to you. I've got to remember that myself!
Josh, I know this is late in coming, but thanks for your research on vicodin and ureteral spasms. Although I don't have a clue about what started the whole urethral pain thing, it could be possible that my use of vicodin was delaying any healing of the problem by inducing spasms and stricture of the urethra. I appreciate your finding that information for me. It seems that the urethral pain is subsiding, but conversely, the right leg pain and numbness is returning worse than before the epidural done last month.
Jan, I hope you're doing well, and that your lower back isn't progressing to where you might need another surgery. Since I'm now living in fear of another epidural for my lumbar herniated disk, and since I also don't want to take a chance with surgery right now, while I'm still recovering from the urology stuff, I don't know how bad my leg pain will have to be to get me to request surgery. Maybe if I lose function of the leg or some other part of my body...I don't know. I just don't think I could deal with any more pain right now.
Sorry for getting off track from this Neurontin thread again, and Emily, I hope you're doing better...you've been through gobs of doo doo since I've first visited this forum last year.
I hope we all have a restful, peaceful night. ---Andy

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Kwazylegs wrote:Mark,
Once again...so glad that your Neurontin dosing is still working out for you! I also sometimes am hesitant to post about things going well for me, knowing that for many others, their search for relief is still ongoing. But, if nobody here ever posted about their successes, there wouldn't be much hope going around for those of us who are still in pain. We need an occasional dose of hope on this forum, to keep us trying to discover what will work for our own particular pain and discomfort. So keep on posting... ---Andy

Andy that is so true about hesitating to post with things going well foryourself. I know so many of them are in horrible pain and I am doing much better but if I can be there to support them, then I will be. I know when I was at my worst last year everyone including yourself was there for me. I thank God everyday for this board.

I hope everyone has a good day and find the right meds that will relieve all of your pain.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

sparky

Post by sparky »

I have been on neurotonin (Gabapentin) for a couple of weeks now. My Dr. increased the dose from 100mg 3xdaily to 200mg 3xdaily. Since then I have had a headache that does not respond to Advil. Is this a side effect? I will ask him tomorrow of course, but I am thinking should I even wait or stop or decrease the dose on my own.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Sparky, See some of my previous posts this thread. I also developed "head pain" but not what I would call a headache. It diminished over time and is quite tolerable now and often doesn't even register. The pain did respond to ibuprofin the generic Advil. Strangely, it also responded well to one Claritin plus a couple ibuprofin so I wonder if it somehow causes sinus pressure or something similar. Anyway, you'll have to be the judge what is right for you. For me taking some food with the neurontin also helped with any stomach upset. Seems that the headaches started with the dose increase so could be a relationship. Wonder if the doc would suggest backing down a 100 mg or so and see if that helps or decreases the headaches. Just curious if the neurontn is for rls or plm and if, headaches aside, it is helping.

sparky

Post by sparky »

You are right, it is not a typical headache. More of sinus pressure and kind of a pressure in the eyes. My neurologist said that he is not 100% conviced that this is due to Gabapentin, but he did ask me to cut the dose back to 100mg 3xdaily and see if that resolves the headache. I will try the claritin trick. Thanks for replying. Oh, and neurotonin was prescribed for rls. I am still unsure if it is helping or not, but I have been taking it only for about 2 weeks.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Sparky, keep us posted and hope you solve the headache dilemma. Also, hope you find some resolution for the rls.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Sparky, Just wondering how you are doing.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I don't seem to have any issues taking Allegra, also. If anyone ever wants to try that.