wearing pantyhose at night?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ricjo55

wearing pantyhose at night?

Post by ricjo55 »

This seems like an odd therapy, but someone mentioned to me that they wear thi-hi stockings or pantyhose at night to relieve the symptoms. She said she found during the day when she was not wearing pantyhose, the symptoms were worse during long periods of sitting then when she wore them. To see if it that was the reason, she tried wearing them at night and had a better nights sleep.

Has anyone else tried that or have any logical reason why it might work? I'll try it if it works.
I'm not old and worn out...I'm a classic

RE: Pantyhose

Post by Guest »

It's certainly worth giving it a go!

When I was working full-time I found the lycra support stockings helped relieve symptoms when I had to sit at my desk for long periods during the day.

Will keep you posted...

Nadia

jumpyowl

Post by jumpyowl »

All right Gals! 8)

What do you do when you are a male (not necessarily a chauvinist pig, but not into cross-dressing either)? :oops:

And too old to change??? :wink:
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

jumpyowl wrote:All right Gals! 8)

What do you do when you are a male (not necessarily a chauvinist pig, but not into cross-dressing either)? :oops:

And too old to change??? :wink:

ROFLMAO :lol:

Oh dear, we forgot about that. I might go for a ferret through the menswear section while i'm out shopping tomorrow.

There must be something!! :P
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

dairyguy

not too macho to save a few bucks

Post by dairyguy »

Hi folks.

If I am home at night in my own bed and wearing pantyhose takes care of my symptoms, I'll try it. Heck, a pair of pantyhose cost a whole lot less than the meds I am taking, and if it works, its a cheap fix. AND, I don't know of any negative side effects in this type of treatment. . . well except if you don't like your spouse laughing at you!!

I guess for that side effect you could just tell her you'd take them off and kick her at night!!!

It would be nice though if we had any more reports if this worked or not.

stevey

It seems to work

Post by stevey »

I am at a point that I try most things that seem reasonable and not likely to cause more problems. I have tried support panythose at night (for about a week now) along with my normal medications. It seems to have a noticable effect on improving my sleep. As far as I can tell the pantyhose has reduce the "antsy" feelings in my legs. So far I have been sleeping for a longer stretch and waking up a little more refreshed. I will keep you informed if the pantyhose "therapy" continues to be beneficial.

With the help of my wife, I found a pair that felt a little snug on the legs. I will continue to use this kind as long as they are producing some results.

I was a wrestler when I was younger, and these are not much different than the wrestling tights I wore.

Thanks for the idea.

Steve..... Yes, I am a guy.

soupy

panty hose

Post by soupy »

A long time ago I posted that a tensor bandage helped me significantly. I move it up or down the leg, to the knee or wherever is giving me trouble. A tensor bandage is snug, travels easily, won't tear, and the slightly rough texture feel sgood when rubbed against the other troubled limb (eg foot, calf, knee). I still don't know why it helps. This method is my only saviour, but a cure would be good! I also find I have less RLS during my period. No idea why.

ricjo55

Giving it a try!!

Post by ricjo55 »

I think I have enough feedback to give this a try. I will keep you posted on the "Men in Tights" experiment. Maybe Joe Namath had a good idea when he introduced men's pantyhose in the 70's. He was just a little ahead of the times. LOL!!!!

It's often the odd thing that works. Maybe this is a revolutionary discovery..... Maybe I am a fool..... but hopefully we can at least have a good laugh in the process!!!

8) "we are men; men in tights! . . ." Watch the movie.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

What about something like an ACE bandage? I wonder if that would work. Or is a Tensor Bandage the same thing? Wearing socks definatly doesnt help, and I dont have any pantyhose around.....not that I would wear it anyways.

jumpyowl

Another idea

Post by jumpyowl »

There are men support hose but I could only find knee length. :cry:

What I am afraid of is that it has to be full length including the hips?

Sorry to be so dumb, I am not an expert on female underwear and my wife or daughter do not wear panty hose. :roll:

How about ventillation? I will probably not get any answers, so I have to do some research in the neighborhood :wink: . Yesterday I visited the maternity depertment of J.C. Penney's and they either ignored me or were almost hostile to me (I could almost hear them whispering "there goes a dirty old man")! :oops:

Just a bit of humor: "Do you know the difference between a dirty old man and a senior sexy citizen? -- No? -- It's money!
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Male leotards pr Tighs (sp)?

Post by jumpyowl »

How about those black leggings that male ballet dancers use? :idea:

Or are they not elastic enough? :P
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

How about surgical stockings?

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Jumpy

What about surgical stockings?

Not only are they used for post-surgery, but they're advertised for use on longhaul flights. My hubby's grandfather has to wear them at the moment because of the surgery he's had on his legs & Nana suggested that they might be good for to me to try, which I will.

Pharmacies should be able to supply them, and if not, know where to get them. It's a long weekend here, no shops open, so i'll be going shopping tomorrow to see what I can find.

They should be of the right elasticity, and you shouldn't get nasty treatment for wanting to buy a pair!

Happy shopping :wink:

Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

Surgical stockings

Post by jumpyowl »

Great idea Nadia!

Thanks a million!
Jumpy Owl

ricjo55

Hey, this works!!

Post by ricjo55 »

I've read the replies, and have tried a variation of things. I have very sensitive skin, so maybe my results would not work for some. I tried a pair of surgical hose (found at a thrift store, they are too expensive for me), a nylon type body shaper that only went from the waist to the knees (It looked more medical), an ace bandage(too annoying and hard to keep in place), and plain support pantyhose. The plain support pantyhose was the cheapest, most comfortable, and works. When my wife is not laughing at me, she discusses the PH therapy and how it is working.

Like I said, I have sensitive skin, and the gentle pressure of the hose against my skin, seems to have a positive effect. I am sleeeping better, and able to avoid the after the med wears off sensation of having to get up and going.

I just went to Walmart and picked mine up. There are no sales people there. My wife was of no help, she gave me advice, but didn't want to be seen in the pantyhose section with me.

So, it works for me. I'll get back to this posting if the effect wears off.

PS It's not wearing pantyhose, it's PH therapy. ... And don't tell any medical supply place, because they will start selling the same thing as a medical product at 30 times the price. I'll stick with Walmart.

DONNA

PANTYHOSE FOR RESTLESS LEG

Post by DONNA »

I HAVE BEEN USING SUPPORT STOCKINGS FOR A COUPLE YEARS. THEY ARE VERY TIGHT. THE MOMENT I START HAVING RESTLESS LEG I PUT THEM ON AND IT WORKS. UNFORTUNELATLY, I ALSO SUFFER FROM IT IN MY ARMS AND HAVE YET TO FIND ANYTHING TIGHT ENOUGH FOR THEM. I HAVE ALSO RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT WHEN I WENT ON A LOW CARB DIET AND STARTED EATING JELLO EVERYNIGHT THAT I NO LONGER WAS HAVING RESTLESS LEG. I WANTED TO TEST IT OUT SO I STAYED ON THE DIET BUT STOPPED EATING THE JELLO. I HAD RESTLESS LEG EVERY NIGHT THAT I DID NOT EAT IT. IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT I NOW EAT SUGAR FREE JELLO EVERY NIGHT FOR DESSERT AND MY RESTLESS LEG IS NOT LONGER A PROBLEM. I WAS HAVING IT ABOUT 5 TIMES A WEEK AND NOW I HAVE IT ABOUT 1 TIME EVERY TWO TO THREE WEEKS AND IT IS NOT AS SEVERE WHEN I DO HAVE IT.