Low testosterone and RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rfishburn

Low testosterone and RLS

Post by rfishburn »

I know this sounds wierd but I was just diagnosed with low testosterone...very low. I bring this up because I still work out and had taken a testosterone boosting supplement and my symptoms eased up and I though it was a fluke but according to the doctor a lot of my symptoms including leg pain unrefreshing sleep, anxiety etc are caused by low test. Considering the blood results it will be interesting to see how fixing it helps the rls or if maybe rls was a mis diagnosis. Just kind of thinking out loud since the test levels were really low...can anyone give any input?
Randy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a relationship. . .women notoriously have more RLS when their hormones are disrupted or changed (pregnancy and mentrual cycles).

Let us know what happens and if you find anything else out.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aff

Post by Aff »

i'd be interested in knowing what your results say. i've never thought of that before but there may be something in it. who knows?!

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

My appointment is tomorrow for follow up, I will post then. I had so much hope for xyrem. I really don't want this to be the same kind of thing but one thing fir sure is getting treated will get me a lot healthier and that could not hurt the RLS : )
Randy

vinton

RLS and testosterone

Post by vinton »

Well!!!

I've had Ms for 35 years and low teso. is common with MS. I've been taking 80g of andriol daily and my testosterone is still low (6.5) and men according to the Canadian chart is between (9.00-20)in Canada.

So please send us your results.

Thanks

Vinton
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

I just had my follow up today and I will be getting hormone replacement therapy (testosterone) so I should be able to update you in a few weeks. From what my doc has said you still sound pretty low and from the sounds of it andriol is not necessarily the best option. I have looks around and the consensus is that weekly shots of testosterone cypinate 100mg is a good place to start. I guess it is oil based so it works for about 7 days per shot...I am learing so I will have all kinds of updates for you guys in a few weeks.
Randy

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

I've been on T shots for 4 years (100mg weekly) and have my RLS to be much improved on the day of and after my shot. So, at least in my case, the testosterone has helped somewhat. Food for thought.
Josh

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

So far so good. I am amazed how clear headed and calm I am. Anxiety almost gone....on the flip side sounds like I am just about sterile, at 30. I am not sure how to break that one with the wife, she has already been pretty worried about the whole thing. Sorry, just kind of venting here. Thanks fidget boyi think I can split the 100mg a week in three 28mg doses every other day to avoid bottoming out As far as the testosterone helping the RLS I give it a thumbs up as of now. Thanks for listening everyone.
Randy

ctravel12

low testosterone and rls

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Randy, Please do not apologize for venting. We are here for you and will always listen whenever you want to talk, vent or whatever.

Take care of yourself.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, this makes me wonder if a lot of the guys here should get tested. Maybe it's like iron and it only helps some people, but who knows? We do know that women are definitely worse at certain times when hormones change their balance. Maybe low testosterone has some effect of worsening RLS in some men.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

Thought I would put an update here, I have been on boards about hormones for a while. Having normal testosterone levels helped my legs so much...I reduced medication and anxiety had disappeared. Well they decided they wanted a retest and took me off everything for 6 weeks, I have two more to go and can say without a doubt that having normal hormones helped a lot. I am in hell now, ultram seems to barely work, or maybe I was used to the level of relief it provided.
Problem number two, I am out of ultram and ambien and insurance still won't cover them for a week or so. My poor wife, I bet she thought she was in the clear when I started feeling good :evil:
Past two days I have had no more than about 4 hours of sleep so if this does not make sense I will correct it when I am rested again.
Randy

Neco

Post by Neco »

Who needs a retest when the results are so obviously clear :?

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

That was my thought also.....
Randy

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Randy, you could probably pay for a week of generic tramadol out of pocket. It's probably not that expensive. Ambien is another thing, though, but you could ask how much it costs. Just a thought...

Susan

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

yeah, I am just gonna go out of pocket for now. They won't actually fill it till the 14th I guess....used a little more than I thought
Randy