What's working for me ****UPDATE****

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
KBear

What's working for me ****UPDATE****

Post by KBear »

Just a little over a month ago I was in RLS hell. After 6 straight nights of almost no sleep I called my doctor for an Ambien prescription which she grudgingly filled. She wanted to give me Requip and I practically screamed "no way!" After my previous experience with the dopamine agonist class of drugs I will never take them again.

Once I got a couple nights of sleep on Ambien I started the more difficult process of trying to fix the imbalances that lead to this recent spiral.

I eliminated caffiene and started taking vitamin/mineral/aminao acid supplements. I also revamped my diet to include only "whole foods" fruits, veggies, raw nuts, some dairy, whole grain bread, lean meats, eggs, and lots of filtered water. No processed foods, white flour, sugar, etc. As a moderate drinker I have also cut back to being a "light" drinker. I also take epsom salt baths a couple nights per week and lotion my feet every night before bed.

I am pleased to say that my RLS symptoms have subsided and I am sleeping well on most nights.

I have suffered with RLS for most of my life I remember having it as a child and I have family members with RLS too. I have also experienced RLS on long car rides, airline flights, and at the movie theater.

I never paid too much attention to what made it come and go but I am now convinced that a healthy lifestyle, diet, and supplements, can make a real difference.
Last edited by KBear on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

ctravel12

what's working for me

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Kathy I am so glad that your rls is doing better and thanks for sharing that with us. You never know that you may help just one person and that is what this board is all about (sharing and supporting) I know what works for one may not work for another but if this works for you that is what is so important.

Good luck to you and hope that it continues.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

Cool, I wish it was that easy for all of us

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I second that.

The nutrition, food, vitamin etc. stuff really does work well for some of us. But others it just doesn't seem to touch. Must really be related to the differences in RLS itself. As Dr Rye said at the conference, there isn't likely to be just one gene, but many genes, possibly working together or a different combo in people, possibly causing slightly different results.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Since I know RLS can be progressive I have my fingers crossed that this will continue to work. If not, at least I'm getting healthier in the process. :wink:
Kathy

KBear

Post by KBear »

I think I've narrowed down the source of my RLS relief. I was trying so many things at once it was hard to tell what was working until I ran out of some of my supplements and the RLS came back.

One of my bedtime supplements contains; Taurine, B6, and 4-amino 3-phenylbutyric acid (a GABA derivative). I have been out of this supplement since June 28 and suffered with RLS every night until I got my refill yesterday. It isn't perfect but it does seem to dull many of the symptoms and allows me to sleep without having to resort to drugs.
Kathy