Brain Fog

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
dogeyed

Brain Fog

Post by dogeyed »

I can't remember if I asked this before. But does anyone else with RLS have my "brain fog"? My concentration is terrible. And I used to be the encyclopedia. Now I don't know anything. Can't work for two years. I'm trying to narrow down the source of it, as I have other health issues, too. I may re-apply for disability, so I just wanted to know if I can attribute my inability to think straight as coming from RLS.

I know lack of sleep will do this. And so will the various meds I take. But are there lots of us who can claim brain fog as one of their symptoms? Thanks for feedback.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Oh my goodness yes! Although I call mine "fibro fog" cuz i get it a LOT with my fibromyalgia...

sometimes it feels as if i have to put the jumper cables on and kick start...

sometimes i sit at my desk and just stare straight ahead and it's like i'm in la la land and just need something to get the wheels moving....

Your other health issues? include Fibro????
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My best friend has lupus - she had it. Another friend has fibro - she has it. And, I have RLS/PLMD - I have it. No question, but anytime sleep is impacted (and it is for all three of us), cognitive function is impacted. I read studies on sleep that support this - sleep is essential for memory to actually occur (different sleep stages assist in memory of different types of tasks), and lack of sleep impairs cognitive ability.

Not sure, but the research literature might support this regarding RLS. I KNOW that Dr Early (or was is Allen - see, no brain) mentioned this at the Long Beach RLS conference. He said that there IS cognitive loss with long-term RLS.

Maybe email Dr B and see what he knows about it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I totally have brain fog. :( I have a website and a newsletter and most days I can't write a thing. I'd be frustrated, but I'm too tired.
Susan

razorbackmatt72

brain fog

Post by razorbackmatt72 »

YES....at least I did. Not so much since my meds seem to be working and I'm getting a full nights rest, but before.....absolutely. I have or had a memory from hell, could remember the smallest of details from a very long time ago.....now and especially during the worst of the RLS, I couldnt remember why I got up or where I was going....leave lights on, forget to unplug the iron, shut the fridge door, etc. You arent alone with the FOG.

Kimberly

Re: Brain Fog

Post by Kimberly »

dogeyed wrote:I can't remember if I asked this before. But does anyone else with RLS have my "brain fog"? My concentration is terrible. And I used to be the encyclopedia. Now I don't know anything. Can't work for two years. I'm trying to narrow down the source of it, as I have other health issues, too. I may re-apply for disability, so I just wanted to know if I can attribute my inability to think straight as coming from RLS.

I know lack of sleep will do this. And so will the various meds I take. But are there lots of us who can claim brain fog as one of their symptoms? Thanks for feedback.

Yes. And I did so at my SSD hearing, although I believe it was clearly evident. When I was working, one of my responsibilities was managing the checking account of the Chairman. I paid all of his bills and always had a balance, to the penny, of more than $30,000 in the account. That was 4 years ago. Today, I cannot handle my own finances or pay my own bills. When I go shopping, I am easily overwhelmed and become exhausted. It's as if my brain begins to 'misfire'. I cannot keep a running total of what I am spending and by the time I get to the checkout, I cannot operate the debit/credit maching, remember pin numbers, or count out the right amount of cash. 9 times out of 10, I leave the store in tears. The other day someone came up to me and said they had been trying to reach me by phone. The number I had provided them was my phone number from 5 years ago! And, when I tried to give them my current numbers, cell and home, I had to ask my son for them. I was also recently asked by a new doctor to always be accompanied by an 'advocate' to office visits.

I don't believe that this is directly related to RLS, but rather a secondary symptom that comes primarily from long-term sleep deprivation. I took the time to research the symptoms of LTSD after a Rheumatologist told me that along with all of the serious health risks, it could be fatal. Scary stuff. LTSD can lead to weight gain, heart problems like hypertension and diabetes, along with severe cognitive problems. I have progresssed over the past 4 years to acquiring all.

I would encourage you to continue your petition for SSD. As you may know, it took me a long time to finally be determined 'disabled', but don't give up, that's exactly what they are hoping you will do.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Thank you so much, Kim, and the others here. Felt so good to hear someone else having identical problems. I fumble at the store, fumble with my money, fumble talking to people, I'm just a fumble mumble bumble. Lost my house like you, and haven't worked for two years. I will look at the disability thing again soon. I read all your posts at the disability thread, and they were so helpful and encouraging.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I can't think straight a lot of the time, especially in the morning.

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

th i nk s i g h
t r a t ???? Now there's a concept I haven't been in touch with lately after this last round of drug trials. I seem to stay in a fog and somedays can't remember who I worked with or what I did, knowing full well I'll have to testify to it at some point..."Well your honor, I that was one of those foggy moments so can we just skip that part for now?" should fly well. Thinking I may need to quit my career and go to work 3rd shift Wally-World greeting :D

Is it the meds, lack of sleep, or what exactly gets us into this fog state?
Who took the FUN out of disFUNctional?
Kim <><

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

For me, it's the meds, because I do sleep 6 to 7 hours on meds (Requip, Neurontin). That is why I just adore Tramadol (daytime). From 11.00 am I can start my day.

Corrie

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

[quote="walkindafloors Thinking I may need to quit my career and go to work 3rd shift Wally-World greeting :D

Is it the meds, lack of sleep, or what exactly gets us into this fog state?[/quote]

IMO, it's probably both meds and lack of sleep, mine is mostly the lack of sleep and fibromyalgia.

I went through an orderal after loosing my 9am to 7pm job to RLS/PLMD. Out of desparation I actually started interviewing for 2nd and 3rd shift jobs in a manufacturing environment. I had no qualifications as I had always been in a corporate office. My sleep doctor burst my bubble on that idea. I didn't realize that RLS/PLMD were what he called 'cyclical'. In other words....it didn'tt matter what shift I chose to work, the RLS/PLMD would kick in as soon as I tried to sleep and I'd still suffer my 6 hours of 'torture time' followed by 4 hrs of interrupted sleep, no matter what time of day or night.

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

cornelia wrote:For me, it's the meds, because I do sleep 6 to 7 hours on meds (Requip, Neurontin). That is why I just adore Tramadol (daytime). From 11.00 am I can start my day.

Corrie

Wow...glad to hear you're getting pretty good sleep on that combination!

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

dogeyed wrote:Thank you so much, Kim, and the others here. Felt so good to hear someone else having identical problems. I fumble at the store, fumble with my money, fumble talking to people, I'm just a fumble mumble bumble. Lost my house like you, and haven't worked for two years. I will look at the disability thing again soon. I read all your posts at the disability thread, and they were so helpful and encouraging.

Your welcome. I'd be willing to help with SSD in any way I can. Just pm me.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

In June I got a letter from the court that I was granted disability because of severe 24/7 RLS (I live in The Netherlands). I was delighted of course. I can´t work because of a tremendous lack of energy, both mentally and physically.
But the institute that will have to pay me has decided to go a higher court, so this will take another 2 years. But I will fight on, I will not give in!

I agree with Kimberley, they want you to give up, I think it's the same all over the world.

Corrie