No particular reason

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Lotus

No particular reason

Post by Lotus »

Dear Everyone,
Many people have RLS coexistinig with other disorders. I have experienced RLS (plus PLMD) since I was atleast 12 yrs old for no particular reason. I guess it is genetic reccessive in my case. My point is, it is sometimes genetic and not a cause or symptoms of another disease. Just something to think about :wink:

LCS

Co-Existing Diseases

Post by LCS »

I have both RLS and HHT (Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia), also known as Osler-Weber-Rendu disease. This disease can cause bleeding (and worse) due to arterio-venous malformations. Possibly bleeding episodes cause iron stores to be low and thus aggravate RLS symptoms.

Thiasearching

I also have...

Post by Thiasearching »

ADD. I am taking both Adderall and Celexa (because it has been untreated from the age of 17 to 40!). I had ADHD as a child, was on Ritalin, and had 'growing' pains, usually the front of the thighs to the knees.

ronh

Post by ronh »

Sleep apena can be another culprit. I've had RLS for years and simply managed it best I could since doctors back then had no answers. But, a few years ago I went for an apena test since I had begun waking at night gasping for air. Now, I fit none of the requirements which normally are expected of an apena
candidate. However, one question that caught me out of the blue was if I had experienced restless legs! I had never put the two together but began realizing that when I had my worse cases of RLS, the apena would follow in just a few days. With my usual mild form of RLS no apena would follow and thank goodness most of my experience with RLS is mild. However, the connection with a bad case of RLS preceeding an apena episode is very interesting. Don't know if its RLS that triggers an apena episode or if something is happening in the brain preparing for an apena episode that actually increases the effect of RLS a few days prior.