Ankle Weights???

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
SquirmingSusan

Ankle Weights???

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm going to get some nice heavy weights for my ankles and my wrists and see if that helps lessen the force of the myoclonic jerks. I got that idea last night when I was sitting with a large, heated rice bag on my leg. I figure that weighting them down will at least limit the force and the range of the movements.

I'll let you know. 8)
Susan

jbowles84

Post by jbowles84 »

Susan,

I think you are on the right track. Here is why I think so. I have had RLS for years. I have found relief for over a year when I STARTED THINKING. What causes this horrible thing? Then it hit me! When you stand up AND PUT WEIGHT on yor legs the crazy stuff goes away. So I do two things to simulate standing. #1 I bought one of those tempurpedic pillows. The kind that are shaped just like a regular pillow. Because they are heavy. I place it on top of the blankets my legs under the pillow between my knee and my ankels right on my calves. Then I sleep on two pillows. However the weight of the pillow is what really does the trick. Hope it works for you. They are cheaper online I got mine at bed bath and beyond 99.00.

Thanks for your post take care and I wish you many good nights of sleep

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Let us know if this works Susan. That would be wonderful if it does.

What JB says does make sense.

Keep us posted and good luck to you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm embarrassed to say that I misplaced my weights. :roll: I don't know how I did that because they are huge. But now that I'm taking 1/4 of a Mirapex at night, the jerking isn't nearly as bad, and most of the time I don't notice it. It still seems like a good idea, though, especially if you're one of those who kicks themselves out of bed...
Susan

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Oh Susan I am glad that your med is working better for you. I hope that you continue to feel better and that you find your ankle weights.

Have a great day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Susan,

I'm glad you are doing better, too! Good for you! I'm sure your ankle weights will show up. Interesting idea that JB has. Glad it works for him.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.