Calling the dentist tomorrow

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Neco

Calling the dentist tomorrow

Post by Neco »

Gonna have my tooth pulled.. as some of you may know already..

My mom had the same one on opposite side pulled a while ago and she said they stitched it but it didn't really hurt.. But I have also read about the risks and am kind of freaked out..

I'm also freaked cause I don't want to be stuck in pain afterwards.. I have poor tolerance for pain at all, and dental pain has always been evil towards me... It's really eaten into my supply these past few months and I don't want to go in almost a week early for the third month in a row and tell my doc the same old story.. I'm sure even he has his limits..

I got Tylenol 3 for a root canal once but that was from an endodontist.. I have no real relationship with this dentist, and the last time I saw him, I was squirming when he claimed I shouldn't feel anything because they numbed the nerve... so I dunno..

I don't want to be out of meds for a week, AND in pain. It gets harder every time I've tried to go without meds, I feel like I will snap one day and go bonkers

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've never had a dentist that didn't give T3s for root canal pain or pulled teeth.

I wish I had some device to transfer the feelings of one person into another...even if for a brief moment. From RLS to tooth pain, we all experience things differently. For ANYONE to think that the way they feel is the way all people feel is....I can't even think of the right word, but it's just not right, drat it.

If someone says something hurts, damnit, it hurts.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Thanks Ann..

You're like this comforting mother figure...or maybe that's the methadone talking...hee :lol:

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

On the other hand, if you have a pain contract, watch out. When I had my surgery a few weeks ago, the doctor was going to write me a script for Vicodin until I told her I was on a pain contract. Then she said she couldn't. I'm glad the pain clinic give me extra methadone for bad days, 'cuz I had a couple of them after that procedure.

You might want to talk to your doctor, Zach, and tell him when you are going to have the tooth pulled, and ask if it's OK if the dentist gives you something for the pain.

It really just shouldn't be so complicated, sigh. :?
Susan

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Zach

For me, tooth pain (whether from a cavity, abscess of and extraction, or whatever) and ear pain are two of the worst kinds of pain. Besides that, no one should compare your pain to their's--neither should you. Your pain is YOUR pain and, as Ann said, "If someone says something hurts, damnit, it hurts."

I can't imagine a dentist worth his salt not giving you anything when he extracts a tooth. I hope he does! Good luck! You shouldn't have to suffer from having a tooth extracted, for Pete's sake!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Guess I don't understand the "pain contract" thing. I mean if you are injured, have to go to the hospital, have to have some type of minor procedure, etc, blah, blah, blah...does that mean they can't give you something for the pain during/after the procedure. Know I'm being a bit absurd or maybe not. Never had to sign one of the contracts so maybe am spouting off from the point of ignorance. Seems there ought to be some sort of common sense to it.

Z, I know that wasn't much help to you. Is there something you can arrange with you medical providers which would take into consideration your surgery. Now, knowing you, I'm certain you have already done that so sorry for stating the obvious. I'm just as squirmish as you so I truly can relate to your apprehension. Does the surgeon have any meaningful suggestions. Duh, on the other hand, who like pain! Wish I knew or could help you more. Best of luck, my friend.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Mark wrote:Guess I don't understand the "pain contract" thing. I mean if you are injured, have to go to the hospital, have to have some type of minor procedure, etc, blah, blah, blah...does that mean they can't give you something for the pain during/after the procedure. Know I'm being a bit absurd or maybe not.
M.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. When I had my procedure the doctor couldn't write me a prescriptions for Vicodin because I have a pain contract with the pain clinic. If I'm ever injured and have to go to the ER it will be a hassle. Now if I'm unconscious and they haul me to the ER, obviously I can't tell.

The whole thing is absurd. :roll:
Susan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Zach- You should probably talk with your regular doc about an increased need for pain meds after your extraction. That way he knows what's going on in advance. He may have some advice on how to deal with it

Generally, dentists will offer a script for T3's (or something similar) this has been my experience with wisdom teeth extractions and a root canal. They don't let you go home and suffer. But you should cover your bases in advance so that you can either accept a script from the dentist (with your regular docs full knowledge) or decline a script from the dentist because your regular doc has you covered.

Whatever you do, don't over-medicate. My crusade for 2008 is to not allow anyone I know to overdose accidently or otherwise.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Zach,

I'm sorry to hear about your tooth.

I agree to talk to your doc about pain meds, explaining that he knows you and what it might take to help, rather than a doc that does not know you.
I always have felt better about my RLS doc taking control of any pain meds, as he really knows me best that way.

As per the dentist, if your on Mirapex it can make some of the stuff he uses for numbing not work the right way, so as that he researches that.

The other hint I can give you, if you squirm, ask that you be sedated for the event. Yup, you'll need someone else to drive you, but it's worth it.

I am the only client in my dentist office that has snored through the work being done, but heck, I didn't squirm or jerk, twicth at the wrong time. It's worth it if your dentist is willing.

Hang in there Zach, I'd bring you all the ice cream you wanted if I could, after! :wink:
Lynne

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Lynne,

Good to see you up and running.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Zach

I don't like going to the dentist at all cos it's always a painfull experience if any thing has to be done, as the nerve in my teeth are very close to the surface, so i always go to the hospital and get sedated it is a lovely experiance cos I know nothing about what is going on,although I have to tell them what meds I'm on so they give me nothing which will react with them.
This is not any help but i thought i'd tell you anyway

hope it works out good

moonlight
sleep is not only a dream

Neco

Post by Neco »

Thanks for all the replies..

I actually couldn't be assed to get out of bed today so I didn't call them.. which I'll probably regret. Once I do get it scheduled I do plan to call my doctors office and inform them, and then ask what to do..

Personally I'd prefer just getting extra meds from my doctor, as opposed to hoping the dentist isn't a moron.. But either way if my doc says it's OK I'll just make it clear that the first thing I tell them before they start is that my doc already told me I could ask for pain meds.

I think part of the worry is the fact they know I'm on methadone, and they'll either assume (a) drug addict, or (b) the methadone will "cover it" or whatever. But my real concern is the fact I won't have any methadone at all, and the whole business of early refills these past few months, etc.. I guess it adds up in my head, and I am always the senile pessimist.

I let my mother control my meds now, and I just didn't hand them over right away this month when I should have, so I've left myself with less than 2/day minimum that I can get by on.. I'm doing my best to push things back and get on track with my meds these past couple months. But the tooth has been an unnecesarry bother on it all.

I guess we'll see what happens come monday

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Live and learn, Zach. I'm glad you handed over the meds to your mom. I hope you can get your tooth pulled soon.
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Mphm...

So I called up the dentists office.. They refer me to an oral surgeon..

They quote me $120 - $240 depending on how difficult it is... Practically the price of a fricking filling ! ugh... I can swing that tho... Made my appt for Jan 25... Almost had to wait until Feb 6 but got lucky the person mentioned another location they had..

Called my doctors office a while ago.. explained to them that it is coming out.. I been doing my best to keep it at 4 a day (I'm allowed 1 - 3) because of the tooth, which they know has been going on for a couple months now... But now they know its coming out and when... I just hope they call back and don't say "Sorry, no early refill for you.. wait for the 23rd when you come in"... coz I'm out :roll:

Praying I don't get screwed here... Maybe I can bust my hand like House, and divert the tooth/RLS pain :roll:

Neco

Post by Neco »

God....why me?

Thousands of dollars out of pocket and my mouth just won't stop falling apart now! because I couldn't afford caps ? :roll:

It's not fair !! $#%#%#^#^#!^!@#%$!@#$@!#$! I just want to die... can't I get hit by a car or something?

my molar right behind the one to be pulled, now has a crack/gap clear as day.. Like it's going to split in half... half of it's tooth the other is filling...

what did I do to deserve this life? this is bullshit!