EFFECTS OF ANGER ON RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
spitfirec

EFFECTS OF ANGER ON RLS

Post by spitfirec »

My wife has discovered that her RLS symptoms dissapear when she get angry. Anger releases, I know some kind of chemicals in the brain. If she gets angry right before she goes to bed she usually sleeps most of the night.
Has anyone else noticed this? Has there been any studies?

Tony S

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

She can sleep when she's angry???? I can't. That approach wouldn't work for me. But it is interesting.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It is interesting. Like you, Tony, I would guess that anger releases a specific set of brain chemistry for her that includes a release of dopamine and maybe the inhibition of serotonin.

No studies on anger per se. They still don't know what causes RLS, though they know brain chemistry is involved. They also know that attending to something else stops it. This could be what is happening. Maybe anger focuses her attention (video games, crosswords, etc. can do the same thing - focus us and the RLS stops).

I can't say I've ever noticed that anger helps me.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sleep when angry/upset... no Way!!! impossible for me.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Two thoughts; first, perhaps there is an arguement, yelling, or some other form of release involved and thus by "letting it out" she is no longer angry when she goes to bed but has stirred up those brain chemicals that help us to sleep.

Second thought, maybe the anger is similar to "attending" she is using her brain to review the situation she is angry about turning it over in her head and searching for solutions in much the same way that we solve puzzles which some people find helps them avoid RLS symptoms.

I find this very interesting, I had a bad RLS night last night so perhaps I'll try getting angry tonight and see if that helps. :P
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

ctravel12

EFFECTS OF ANGER ON RLS

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Tony S and welcome to this group. I really hope that this helps your wife.

I know if I get angry about anything before going to bed I can guarantee that I will not sleep.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

cadmonkey

Post by cadmonkey »

My legs go nuts when I get angry. Afternoons especially - I walk the aisles at work a lot in the afternoon. I feel best when my boss goes out of town :P

georger

Post by georger »

I think there is a big difference between being angry (and not being able to sleep) and actually being angry and releasing the anger......like really letting yourself express, explode, yell, beat on pillows in a safe but really whole hearted way, to move it through the body.....then it's over. And sleep come easily and naturally. I can see that would make big difference in some symptoms. We all need a special place where we can really let it out.

Sherry

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Yeah , being single I get to walk around here and yell at the walls and kick pilliows when ever I want only the dog and cat think I am crazy no one else knows (oh wait) not anymore, I think I just told on myself~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

For me, angry equals seething quietly. I try not to vent on people, unless maybe they deserve it. :)

Thus, for me, getting angry before bed is about the worst thing I could do. All I do is get really agitated. I could see an outburst helping, though.

I'm not so sure my wife would care for a screaming session every night before bed...
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Mmmm, like the post about angry and the name "spitfirec." Is that a coincidence or what! Anyway, hi and welcome.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

cadmonkey wrote:My legs go nuts when I get angry. Afternoons especially - I walk the aisles at work a lot in the afternoon. I feel best when my boss goes out of town :P

Love your post. When I was working I felt the same way. You talk about stress LOL.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Angry before bed......result toss and turn ......result no sleep

not for me ..I say always make up incase you don't wake up!

huggles
moonlight x
sleep is not only a dream