New! Voice Chat Option

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

New! Voice Chat Option

Post by ViewsAskew »

We know have a voice chat option. Hos worked extremely hard on this and will be hosting the sessions, as will Lynne. This is an exciting opportunity to use headsets and microphones on our computers to actually hear each other in a live chat.

Please read the sticky post related to it. Because it's about How To Use the new system, the post is locked. Please use this thread to discuss it, ask questions about it, etc. If Hos determines that anything in this thread should be in the sticky, he'll go back and edit it.

Oh, and never fear! The Monday Night Chat is NOT going anywhere! It will stay there and many people may prefer it. But, some people will want to use this method and we're thrilled that Hos initiated this and convinced the Foundation to give this a try.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is a post by Ann with RLS, member of this board, not Ann who happens to be a moderator.

Plese know that this technology costs money. This is money the Foundation that isn't allocated in the budget - if you've ever worked for a non-profit or even a corporation, you know how hard it is to fund things that aren't in the budget. Because we don't know if this will even be used, this is a trial run for the next 6 months.

If you appreciate the Foundation's willingness to add things like this to help you find a way to better manage and deal with your RLS, please consider a membership or small monetary gift to the Foundation. You can even note explaining that you are sending it to support the Discussion Board or the Voice Chat. Thank you. I am positive that they would appreciate it. Since I am not a paid member of the Foundation, nor have they ever asked me to ask for donations, please take this simply as the comment of someone who appreciates all the Foundation does for us and hopes that everyone who benefits from this forum would find a way to give back to ensure it's here for anyone who needs it.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Thank you Ann ...and Ann. :)

I put that sticky thread in my signature. All questions are welcome for I know it's new but it's fun stuff. I bet 5 years from now most of us will be talking online, it's free and can talk to anyone around the world.

I'll post a lot more when I get a chance to put a step by step pictoral together of how to do it. I just need to test out a few more things but wanted to get some buzz going first. 8)

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

This sounds awsome, thanks Hos!!! Just hope its not too difficult for one to figure out. One like me with few computer skills~~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Agreed my friend. I'll make it as easy to do as possible and will check my email often and this thread for any questions.

craigoh@gmail.com

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Thanks, dude, I have a lot of difficulties figuring things out, last night I had to restore everything, dont know how I do what I do or even when I am able to fix it I couldnt tell you how I did it........one thing tho I am learning...........
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

oops, I totall screwed up this post, oh well, it's outdated news anyway, see below for the update... :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Hos on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Woo-hooooo - you must know someone :wink:

That is sooooo cool. Now, is there any way we can do this at say, 5 or 6 PM EST so that those in Europe might be able to tune in? I realize that this is then 2 PM California time, but he's a doctor.... And, truly, there will be no time that's perfect for everyone.

Or, maybe on a weekend? I know that the majority of our members are in the US, but we have several in Europe (and some down under, but talk about hard to work schedules around!)

Sorry to put you on the spot publicly. Just thinking out loud about how to try to be inclusive for everyone. Any other ideas are not only welcome, but coveted.

Managing Your RLS

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Yes, we will want as many people to be there so we'll see what's best for the most and best for Dr. B. For instance, if the Europeans catch on to TS more then the Americans, then it's supply and demand and we'll meet early, but who knows. The weekend would be nice if possible. :idea:

TeamSpeak allows us to record it too...
Last edited by Hos on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hos, has anyone you know of tried this on a Mac? There isn't "official" software and I'm a bit nervous to try the unofficial version. Just wondering if you know of anyone who has used the "TeamSpeex" for Mac...
Susan

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

According to this review it'll work without all the extras which you don't need anyway:
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/mac/Te ... 0378.shtml

This is the only minor concern I see, "While the PC TeamSpeak client and servers can use any number of different codecs, this program only knows one of them, so you will only be able to interact with servers and channels that support it."

A "codec" is just the version of sound it uses. I currently have the TS set up to the best and most clear codec. It won't be hard to tweak that thru trial and error to see which codec I need to allow that Mac's will recognize.

I also emailed a friend of mine who I think uses a Mac and I talk to him all the time on TS. I think it should be fine and worth the shot. It's not an envasive type program that will mess up your other settings so I don't think it would hurt to download it and test it out.

After you download it, go to this screen in "options" and make sure the input (to listen) and output (to talk) is set to your headset.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Hos wrote:I also emailed a friend of mine who I think uses a Mac and I talk to him all the time on TS.

He said it works good on his Mac. take care,

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

We have a special guest in around 6-7 weeks to start us off with this TeamSpeak stuff the right way...

Dr. Mark J. Buchfuhrer has agreed to donate his time for a Q and A on our RLS TeamSpeak server. So, bring some good questions and it'll be a party.

Update: I misunderstood RLS staff and the NightWalkers newsletter won't go out until mid-May so we'll do this interview around the end of May, not in "6-7 weeks." Plenty of time to work out the kinks, if there are any. 8)

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Hey Jan3213, it was good to hear your voice yesterday on TeamSpeak. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I am impressed with the sound quality on the TeamSpeak server. Fun stuff to hang out and "veg" together from time to time.

Thursday's at 10 PM EST is the current weekly time if y'all are available but I'm open to change that to accommodate others.
Last edited by Hos on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

It is so great that you did this, Hos! I meant to post right after our talk yesterday, but got interrupted and forgot!

If any of you haven't downloaded Teamspeak yet because you're afriad it's too difficult, it isn't. Not at all!

Hos, it was so good speaking to you yesterday. Thank you, again, for doing this for all of us!!!

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.