WHAT DO WE DO?????

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I sure will, Charlene. I think my appointment with my neuro is in May, so it will be awhile.

Love ya
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks Jan you are such a dear and special friend. Hope that you have a great weekend and a restful one.

Love you too.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

KBear

Post by KBear »

I definitely do not subscribe to the "it's all about will power" school of thought. It's about choices and learning to make the right ones. I consider myself to be one of those people who has no will power if it's in the house or set down in front of me, I will eat it.

However I am learning that when I make the right choices I am less likely to make bad choices later. Example, if I start my day with oatmeal and raisins with a glass of milk and a fruit snack mid morning then I don't over eat at lunch because I'm not starving. If I then eat brown rice and vegetables at lunch I don't over eat at dinner because I'm not starving, and when I eat a sensible dinner with a lean meat source and plenty of vegetables I am less likely to reach for an evening snack. (this is where I usually go horribly wrong).

We have all been programmed to believe it's about will power instead of about eating food that is good for us. This leads to guilt every time we fall off the diet. I'm done with guilt and I'm done with diets. I am however trying to make better choices.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Kathy

You sound like me---if it's in the house, it's in my mouth!!!

You gave me "food for thought"--pardon the pun. You also gave me encouragement and hope that may I CAN do it. I know I feel crummy when I eat the wrong things. And, even though I said I eat fairly health---well, if I told you what I had for lunch and dinner today, you'd know better!!

I tend to beat myself up way too much. Instead, I should channel that energy on something positive. So, tomorrow's a new day. I'm going to give it a go. I may be back with questions, Kathy....or maybe need a nudge or two. Hope that's okay.

Take care and thanks, again, for your input.

Hugs
Jan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

jan3213 wrote:
I mentioned the patch--I don't know the name of it, but my doc says there has been a lot of successful use of it. I'll find out and let you know, ok? I don't know much about it yet. But, I'll find out before I go on it. However, I AM seriously thinking about getting it. I'm up to 2.5 mg. of Mirapex and do not want to increase that dose. I had night terrors on 3 mg. UGH!

Again, thanks everyone!
Jan

Jan, sorry to tell you this, but the Neupro patch has been recalled, and the stock in the US is supposed to be depleted by the end of April. I think there's a post in the Pharmaceutical section of the message board. Doctors are having people wean themselves off of it. It doesn't sound like the company that makes it is in any hurry to bring it back, either.:( So maybe it's time for a different kind of medication? I do hope you find something that works for you.

Lyndarae, I totally agree with you that sleep is sleep, and we need to take it when we can get it. But it sure is hard not to feel guilty about sleeping during the day, even though the sleep doctor told me that I have circadian rhythm disorder and that it would be almost impossible for me to change my sleep schedule to "normal." At least I work for myself and can do a lot of my work at night. I really feel badly for people who have to work during the day.

Well, it's 4am and I'm finally getting sleepy so I'd better take advantage of that. I hope you all are resting well tonight.
Susan

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Jan, sorry to tell you this, but the Neupro patch has been recalled, and the stock in the US is supposed to be depleted by the end of April. I think there's a post in the Pharmaceutical section of the message board. Doctors are having people wean themselves off of it. It doesn't sound like the company that makes it is in any hurry to bring it back, either.Sad So maybe it's time for a different kind of medication? I do hope you find something that works for you.

Well, dang!!! I guess it's a good thing I didn't go on it in January, then. Oh well, maybe we'll think of something else.

Thanks for telling me, Susan. I completely missed that post.

Jan

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Jan

Im also diebetic type II its a hard struggle to lose weight,
but now its Spring Im going to try and lose a couple of
or more stones. Did you have a good day out.
Dont forget to alter your clocks ladies. Spring is here.

Hugs to all

gill

mackjergens

diabetic/RLS

Post by mackjergens »

I have also discovered that IF I stay away from all the sweets, and strickly stay on the diabetic diet, my RLS is much less. So there is just one more reason to eat healthy. NOT that I dont cheat at times, because I am human and certainly do so, but it seems each time I cheat, I pay for it with either feeling bad, bleary eyes, or strong RLS, so for those reason I pretty much stay on the straight and narrow path when eating.

We all say we would do most anything to keep the RLS beast away, so try staying on the healthy eating and just see IF it helps your RLS. As I said I certainly think it has helped mine, but as we all know its different for all of us. But Certainly worth the try!!! Let me know if you try and if it helps your rls, we known for certain it will help control you diabeties and that helps all the rest of your body functions and organ.

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Hey Jan,

I'm sorry to hear you feeling this way about weight. I struggle with it to. Until my rls flared up and the doc changed my meds I had lost 25 lbs. on my "strict" diabetic diet. I have gained 20 of those pounds back due to the meds. :cry:

Now, my doctor has switched me to the protein injection for my diabetes. It's not a road to insulin, just the only way this particupar diabetes med can be given. In pill form the stomach digests the pill like it is food so pills aren't an option for this. It also takes away my appetite and I don't really snack much any more.

I have bought some cereal that is good for snacking but only has 19-25 carbs per serving. I take bowls from my cupboard and fill them with the serving size on the box and when I feel the urge to snack I eat the cereals. It keeps the carbs (which we have to watch) low per serving and doesn't send my blood sugar up. I also buy the low carb ice creams and let myself have some of that a night or two a week. Keep the serving low and it doesn't upset the blood sugar balance but you feel like you've cheated with the sweets.

My doctor and I sat down and discussed ways to "cheat" without cheating. He suggested these snack tips. As well as there are foods that are good for keeping the blood sugar level. I have a list of them at work (good place for them, I know!) and will bring it home this week and post the foods for us diabetics out there that look for ways to control our blood sugar without feeling deprived of what everyone else eats.

Hope you feel better now. You are in no way a rollie-pollie girlfriend. I consider myself "pleasantly plump" right now. :wink:

Love ya girlfriend,
Cyn
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Gill, thanks for your reply and support.

Mack, you know---I always notice that when I eat a lot of sugar (i.e., candy at the movies), I have really bad RLS that night. So, I know what you mean.

Cyn, I would appreciate you posting the info you have at work. I am sure I'm not the only one who would find it useful.

You are all great. Maybe we should keep this thread going as a support thread for me and anyone else who struggles with this issue. What do you think?

All I know is I have to do something. Mack, you're right when you say "I'd do anything to make my RLS better." Absolutely!!!

Thanks, again, guys.

Hugs
Jan

becat

Post by becat »

Jan I just wanted you to know that I'm with you every step girlfriend. No matter what.

I understand your frustrations and I know your will. Your strong and when you make your mind up, nothing stands in your way! You have the will of a warrior and the strength of an army.

Stand proud my girl, your on your way.....a new path, but one with less stones to remove than before.

Hugs and love
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Thank you, Lynne. Thank you........

Much love
Jan

KBear

Post by KBear »

Cyn- I love your snack suggestions, sort of like a "bag of tricks" for the diet. One of my latest tricks is choosing a piece of fruit or a small handful of almonds when I feel like I need a snack. Then I get busy doing something with my hands. If I'm still hungry a 15-20 minutes after the fruit/nuts I may go for a handful of pretzels or a single scoop of ice cream (I can't get my husband to stop buying ice cream) but I try to fill up on something good first.

Jan-We can help each other :wink: , like I said previously when I first read your message I felt like I was reading about my future. I already have many of the same health issues. If I don't do something now it is only going to get worse. If I am truely willing to do whatever it takes to have better health I need to live that way.

I hope no one thought I was "lecturing" this is simply what I am trying to do. This is an uphill battle for me but it seems to be getting easier. It's not just about "weight loss" (although that would be a great side benefit). I'm tired of being "sick and tired" and I'm tired of hearing myself talk about my health issues. I want a life that is more upbeat and positive and healthy, and I figured out that they only way to get there is to make it happen myself and not get discouraged when things go wrong but just get up and keep moving forward.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Kathy

I didn't think you were lecturing, and I doubt anyone else did, either. I asked for advice/help and I got it! AND, I appreciate all of it.

We ARE all in this together. Some things you can do, I can't (like almonds)--I can't do any exercise except walk, but walking is the best thing for you, anyway, IMHO. We are all different and have to adjust, but I CAN do it.

Thanks for caring, Kathy. Thank all of you for caring. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, that's what I love about this place! When you're down and out, you can find someone to help you row that darn boat!

Love
Jan

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

We'll all help you row your boat, Jan. Well, those of use who don't have rls in our arms anyway. :lol: And we'll just let them go along for the ride too.

cyn
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.