Plea for help

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Rubyslipper

Plea for help

Post by Rubyslipper »

This is a long thread. Please read it through.

I recently attended the Board of Directors meeting for the RLS Foundation. Sitting there listening to all the areas they have to contend with was amazing. This is a very dedicated board and the same goes for the Foundation staff.

One thing I came away with that I want to share with all of you is this; the RLS Foundation needs money. In the past there have been lots of grants from pharmaceutical companies to fund what the Foundation does. That is a problem. For one thing, the pharma companies are not giving like they did. For another, the Foundation wants to get away from depending on that money. We receive a large percentage of money needed from them, much more than other non-profit charities. Restless Legs Syndrome has taken a lot of bashing in the media lately. It is a misconception made by many that most people only think they have RLS because of the ads they see that are put out by the pharma companies. So if a project is funded by pharma money, their logo is included which just adds fuel to the fire.

The Foundation runs on a tight budget. They don’t have enough staff for the work-load and there isn’t money to hire more. The Board of Directors pays their own way to the Board meetings. I’ve seen the budget and can tell you there isn’t any extra spending gong on.

New memberships to the Foundation are not coming in. Current members do not renew their memberships and many donors aren’t giving like in the past. Part of this is the economy, part because there are so many worthwhile charities asking for donations. But if you suffer from RLS, please seriously consider either a membership or donation to the Foundation. The money you send in can be designated to go for research, education or just where it is needed most.

I am not a person who likes to ask others for donations. I am asking now. If you get anything from the RLS Foundation then please think about giving back. Everything they do costs money; the website that brings you information as well as the NightWalker newsletter, informational brochures, the chat room and discussion board among others. But mainly funding is needed for what we all need so badly, the search for a cure.

Please give me some feedback on your ideas, questions or concerns.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

maxietobias

Post by maxietobias »

I joined a few weeks ago. I received lots of info in a packet. It included a nice professional looking pamphlet to give to your doctor. I gave it to mine and he seemed pleased to receive it!

Ruth

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Wonderful!!! A big thank you from me and the Foundation.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

Add me to the Thank you List, for your support of the foundation and it's works for us. Thank you.

The foundation is worthy of our support and I sent my check in yesterday!

Doesn't matter how much, just what you send is in support of US, all of US.

Do what you can and know that we are fighting for everyone of us and our Quality of Life.

Lynne

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, thank you Ruby, sometimes we need our attention drawn to such things.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Ruby

Thanks for drawing to the attention.
Hope your ok?
Im not.

love gill :cry:

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I'm drawing attention but don't know if I'm doing any good! Thanks for all the responses and the donations. Check out what's being said on this subject on the Non-RLS side.

Waterloo2. what's going on? Can we help?

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Heh. It was very tempting to pick "The" (instead of "Mr." or "Dr.") as my title on the foundation membership form. It was worth joining just for the chuckle. There's such a long list of other fun options, too.

Ah, Restraint, where did you come from?
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Wish I could contribute something but I barely make $50 a week right now.. I will always remember to do what I can to donate small amounts when I finally find a steady job again tho.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thanks to both of you. The Aiken...too cool! Zach, I know that when you can you'll donate. Don't worry about it right now. I appreciate all the feed-back and hope I do't come across as too pushy!