Natural sedatives

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
snowbound

Natural sedatives

Post by snowbound »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a natural herb sleep aid. Something that is proven and safe to take everyday if need be. My insomnia is a terrible trigger for my RLS so if i could find something to aid me in falling asleep, it would help tremendously. Trying to stay away from the pharmaceuticals as long as i can.

Thanks for any replies.

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've had good results with Sleep MD. It's a mixture of Valerian, hops, lemon balm, melatonin, etc. The thing I really like about the Sleep MD is that the valerian is deodorized - I've used other valerian preparations and the smell is enough to kill me.

I used to buy some stuff online called "Somnatrol." It worked well, but it has regular valerian in it and it stinks.
Susan

Terrytunes

Post by Terrytunes »

Any food with Tryptophan (turkey, milk, almonds, others), camomile in tea or tablet form (found at good health food stores), magnesium (I use it in a powdered form that mixes with hot water, like a tea), valarium (if you can stand the smell).

TT

Pippen

Post by Pippen »

I should say that I'm a newcomer to RLS so take anything I offer with that in mind.

I have had good luck with Melatonin. My symptoms seem mild in comparison to what many are describing here so once I'm asleep they usually don't disrupt me.

My chiropractor recommended a natural product called Min-Tran (short for mineral tranqualizer, I believe) made by Standard Process. Main ingredients are calcium, magnesium, iodine, and sodium. It doesn't work as a knock me out kind of sedative but I think it does help in calming the nervous system down before bedtime.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Thanks for the suggestions. It's greatly appreciated. I found this top ten rated list,

http://consumerhealthdigest.com/sleepai ... le/sleepmd

If anyone has tried any of the products listed in the link please chime in, good or bad.

Thanks.

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Try over-the-counter Melatonin. (3mg) Until being diagnosed with sever RLS I used to use this an hour before bedtime at certain times of the year when insomnia was prevalent, typically late Spring/early Summer. I did not use it in connection with RLS. I just couldn't go to sleep. Melatonin use to be found naturally in milk and then the FDA made them remove it, if my facts are correct. Thus the old wives remedy of drinking a glass of warm milk before bed.

Ken

PS the brand I use is Nature's Bounty