MIRAPEX MAKES ME HUNGRY

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sandrala

MIRAPEX MAKES ME HUNGRY

Post by sandrala »

Gosh, Lauren, maybe you've hit upon the next weight loss wonder! I'll take 2! Hope you know I'm kidding, but this is all such a crazy mystery, isn't it?
What are you grateful for?

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Same thing happened to me when I started the mirapex I lost so much weight that the doc was freaking out, I thought it was because I was taking vitiams and I have never done that regularly before. But then slowly I started gaining and eating and I was not hungry at all. Just had this urge to eat , eat, eat.

Now in the last month I have made better food choices started exercising and I have lost a few pounds but nothing like you would think. I know its the mirapex. I am fine all day food doesnt control me but I swear not 20 minutes after taking the mirapex all I think about is food and its bad because its at night the worse time to eat...............Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

maxietobias

Post by maxietobias »

Oh my gosh!! I just found this post and I couldn't believe it at first. I take Mirapex 1 mg three times a day! I've been on it for a long time--probably 4 yrs. and I have gained 50 lbs.!!! I've been blaming it on my diabetes. I have severe RLS and I have symptoms all day long, even in my arms. I'm always hungry!

Last week my doctor prescribed gabapentin and WOW my symptoms just about disappeared! I tried going off Mirapex but the symptoms increased. Hmm---I'll have to think about this!!

Ruth

sandrala

MIRAPEX MAKES ME HUNGRY

Post by sandrala »

My doctor prescribed gabapentin last time I visited. He said he'd seen the best results in his RLS patients who used it. (Isn't it wonderful that doctors know what RLS is now? Up until recently, I had to tell the doctors what it was and what I needed.) Gabapentin made me too loopy. I took it at night or early evening and still felt disoriented in the morning. So I've begun taking the Mirapex earlier - between 6 and 7 - and it seems to be working better. The eating is still a problem - more during the day now it seems, as well as evening. I don't know if I can blame it on the Mirapex, but I can say it has nothing to do with hunger. I've had RLS in my arms, too, and it's awful. What have you figured out about the symptoms getting worse when you decreased the Mirapex? That's strange.
What are you grateful for?

becat

Post by becat »

I found that I ate at night, the n the study or warning, whatever.......came out saying some people do. Which a whole other sleep disorder.

I was shocked. Yes, I gained weight, however, at one point shortly before I wuit Mirapex, I got toxic over the course of 2-4 days. Nope have no idea why. I'm not sure it was Mirapex, but more that I was so agumented on the stuff and my body had to scream at my mind.

Certainly talk to your doc if your eating at night after you go to bed.

Take care,
Lynne

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

I have my 6 month follow up coming next month, and I am going to talk to the doc about the weight gain. I dont think it is helping my rls at all. I am hoping he will have some ideas. I eat healthy(mort the time) do not drink soda or fattening beverages and I work very hard jobs that work up a sweat.

So I am not a couch potato, and I am active so the only thing I can think of is the mirapex, I am not hungry during the day, like I am after I take my nightly dose of mirapex, it happens in about 20 minutes.......cant get enough food in my mouth or fight it off.

So I am hoping he has some ideas for me~~~~~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I hope so, Lyndarae. It seems like the Mirapex is working well for you otherwise.
Susan

doety

Post by doety »

Hi: This caught my eye -- when I took Mirapex, just like clockwork, I could count on being hungry within 15-20 minutes. When I finally stopped, I lost about 10 pounds. I stopped because it was augmenting, and it was hard to get off of. I'm now taking Welbutrin (anti-depressant, supposed to suppress your appetite), Methadone (don't know whether it has an effect) and Klonopne (I think it also makes you hungry; I need to stop it but just haven't), plus, right before bed, a couple of puffs of a joint (which, yes, makes me hungry!). Looks to me like it all ought to cancel each other out.

Ann, I wondered whether your experiment with Mirapex was working. I've been tempted to try a tiny bit again, but with your experience, I think I won't. The Methadone isn't as effective as it was. Now, when RLS visits me, I try not to get scared that I'll be up all night, and I just get busy doing something active -- throwing clothes in the washer, taking out the trash, just something to take my mind off it and I also know it will pass if I do something else.

It really is weird how we all need something different. I read the posts about Neurontin -- I tried it once and it didn't touch me. BUT, I only took 100 mg, which apparently is nothing. I just thank my lucky stars I can now work from home and be weird when I need to, not be embarassed when I had to get up from my desk and pretend to be doing something.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi there!

Hmmm, it seemed to work really well...for me....as Mark says, everyone's mileage may vary, lol. I added it in only two nights in a row - tiny amount - then off for three nights, sometimes four. It helped me with the PLMs, but it keeps me awake and that was bad. Adding in the tyrosine solved all problems for a few months until I augmented. I think it was the tyrosine, but I have stopped both. After about two weeks, I'm back to "normal" doses of methadone, and am tired again, presumably from the lack of deep sleep from the PLMs.

In a week or so, I'll add it back in again and see if I can find something else that knocks out the side effects of the Mirapex that keep me awake. If I can't find anything, I guess I'm back to straight methadone and being tired and brainless 85% of the time. Better than RLS 24/7. Just wish it wasn't asking to much to have both.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stitch

Post by stitch »

I just happened to see this post and started reading because I take mirapex and have for over a year now. Before that I was on requip and had to get off of it but have been on neurontin since fall of 2002. When I started taking the mirapex my RLS stopped and have not come back. Like I have said I take .05 3x's a day and neurontin 600mgs 3x's a days. Last June I had back surgery again and my weight always drops some.

I can't remember when I started gainning but I think it was before the end of 2007. At 1st it was 5lbs, then 10 and right now I am somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs over what I would like. Because of all the back surgury's I have had (5) and being a small bone person my weight is good at 115/118. Right now I am between 130 and 135. I like to stay up late and I have been eating more then I ever did before. Never thought it was the mirapex.

I guess I am different from most people because I can take neurontin, mirapex and oxycoden and it doesn't make me feel any different and it does help with the pain in my back. I have never had pain with RLS. But I have had it in my arms and legs all at the same time and that is the worse. Wow I wonder if it's the mirapex? Because I don't like the weight I am at and the dr's have told me not to gain anymore, not good for my back. WOW :shock: Who knew :roll: I guess I can live at this weight if the RLS stays away and I don't gain anymore. WOW who knew. Everyone is different and everyone reacts different to these meds we have to take.

Who knew, guess we know now, take care, Jeannie

Michelle

Reply to ctravel

Post by Michelle »

This is a reply to ctravel's response down below. I'd like to tell you that I get RLS in my arms too. The doctor once told me that RLS is an all over disease. It's not just your legs that it can effect but they just call it "Restless Legs" syndrome. I guess it's better than "All over Syndrome" ha ha. But your nerves just overact and so does your muscles. I get so figity when I have an RLS attack, everything is overactive!

"It is not a the creepy crawly feeling just a constant ache. Can this be rls? I know we are not drs and cannot give exact answers but just wondering if other ones have this feeling."

milliga

Weight Gain

Post by milliga »

I have been on Mirapex for about 8 months and have gained about 50 lbs. I always want to eat even when I'm not hungry. I understand Requip has the same side effects.

I also have some anxiety which I believe is another side effect...

milliga

Weight Gain

Post by milliga »

I have been on Mirapex for about 8 months and have gained about 50 lbs. I always want to eat even when I'm not hungry. I understand Requip has the same side effects.

I also have some anxiety which I believe is another side effect...

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some of us are bothered by these drugs...and some aren't. Also, though the side effects are the same, they don't necessarily affect each person the same way, nor to they affect the same person the same way.

Yikes, that was a complicated sentence.

The crux is simply that while they both CAN cause weight gain, they don't always do it, even when taken by the same person. Some people can take both, some can take neither, and some can take one, but not the other.

That just makes it harder, I think, for some of us to know what to do.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.