Rain, Tornadoes, and Flooding, Oh My!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Rain, Tornadoes, and Flooding, Oh My!

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know we have people here who are in States experiencing horrendous problems with flooding, rain, tornadoes, etc.

I hope that everyone here is OK. My sister was just 1 mile from where a tornado touched down a few days ago. She is fine, though the water came so hard and fast, the sump pump couldn't keep up and their basement flooded some. Where I am in Illinois, you'd not even know that there were problems. Yet not that far away, many people are losing everything.

Zach and Kathy - not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but golly the stories have been heartbreaking. Ruby just posted, so I guess where she is all is well. Anyone in Indiana? Jan is in So, Il - not sure if she's by a river.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

our glass door in our breeze way was blown out the other night glass shattered and went everywhere..sounded like a bomb... and all the trees were touching the ground....power out ...tornados all around....it sucked...hail too

pics of sky on webpage www.myspace.com/chaoticupheaval
[url]

click on pics and its in the scary weather album

hope everyone with bad weather is ok....every evening we get a severe thunderstorm....this is why i hate summer

dee[/url]
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

The tornado that we had a couple weeks ago, where there was a young child killed, was way too close to us. Just a couple miles. My son had wandered downstairs to take cover but didn't bother to tell his sister that there was a tornado. (He got a lecture about that.) So I went up and got her. Then the sky turned green, there was hail, the spouse went outside to watch, then about 20 minutes later it was over and the next suburb over was flattened.

'Tis the season. Lately though it's just so oppresively gloomy and rainy that I can hardly stand it. And humid. The basement carpets are all soggy. Yuck.

I hope everyone is OK.
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

I didn't think it would be a big deal at first, figured I'd get a good storm or two while riding around for work, on Sunday. I have driven through some pretty hard downpoors that scared the scrap out of me, but this was something else.. I think because I have been driving longer I was more nervous then scared but everywhere I went at the end of my work trip, there were water pumps hooked up to manholes to pull water out. Water was right up on bridges, and on the way home had to drive through water on some streets..

Plenty of tornada watches and warnings, and we got sirens only once, but that was about it.. It was mostly water and wind. Our roads are still flooded. Its real hard to get around some points in town and between towns even on the state highways.. They even closed some I-94 on ramps to keep people away from Rock River, which is supposed to crest on Friday or something. All the land out here is like a giant swimming pool, heh...

I had a hell of a time driving to the E.R last night but that is a totally different story.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

tazzer wrote:our glass door in our breeze way was blown out the other night glass shattered and went everywhere..sounded like a bomb... and all the trees were touching the ground....power out ...tornados all around....it sucked...hail too

dee[/url]

Damn! I that when that happens. :shock:
Susan

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I am in southern Illinois an hour SE of St. Louis, so not near a river. And, luckily, we've had no tornadoes right here in Mt. Vernon, but we've had several tornado warnings and they have touched down all around us. Nothing like those poor people in Iowa and Kansas (and anywhere else they've really bee hit hard).

It's been the worst year I can remember in a long time for storms. We have had a lot of rain. About a month ago, we were about 8" above average. Terrible year for so many.

You know the 5.4 magnitude earthquake that happened in the mid-west in early spring? The epicenter for that was just an hour from us. We really rocked and rolled that early morning (4;20 a.m.). Of course, I was already up. LOL

It was so cool here for so long. Now, it's been in the 90's and the humidity is almost as high. UGH!

I hope everyone stays safe and dry!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Neco

Post by Neco »

More Tornados around today, got more sirens but nothing came close to town that I know of..

I broke a window though... this damn house, I swear... I always regret not going with my mom when she was looking for houses out here.. We have no central air, radiator heat, mostly plaster walls.. and the windows are on old **** rope pulleys..

Several have broken, and I was confused about which window needed to be pushed UP, raised the wrong one, let it go.....smash...ugh

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad to hear from several of you, but sorry to hear of the problems. It certainly has been an odd spring - at least where I am. We often have few spring-like days and go from winter to summer, but this year was worse than normal. It was sooooo cold for the entire month of May. Truly. Like I was wearing my winter coat on May 24th.

Like Jan said, now it's hot and humid. Ugh. Last night we thought about a bike ride in the late evening....but it was still 84 degrees at 11 PM. That's just wrong unless you live in Dallas. And I left there because I hated it, lol!

Hopefully the rain will moderate soon. Many parts of the country are low, but this isn't how you want to make it up!
:shock:

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

I have been without news for a little over two weeks.

This HOME BODY has not been home and TV is last on the list of things to do.

However, caught up some today (I'm at my mom's TX Panhandle).
It's less humid, but still reaching into the 100 marks, pretty easy here.

I have been worried bout everyone, but have limited time to make a post, call, or anything. However, I've been filling the moon every night that all of our family here is ok.

Prayers for all in this weather nightmare's way.

Hugs to all
Lynne

KBear

Post by KBear »

There is more flooding in Zach's area than my area, we are only about 30-40 minutes apart. There was a small F1 tornado just a couple miles from my house on Saturday June 7th and tornado warnings again on Thursday June 12th and of course tons of rain and severe weather in between.

Like Zach said it's hard to get places around here as roads are closed all over the place. I-94 westbound remains closed at the Rock River between Madison and Milwaukee (it's been closed for several days) which means you can get from Madison to Milwaukee (in the eastbound lanes) but you can't go from Milwaukee to Madison on I-94. The re-route to get around it is ridiculously long because so many of the back roads are flooded too.

Looks like the rain is going to hold off for a few days. Hopefully.

Zach- are you going to tell the ER story?
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

we are having more crappy weather here in virgina too...had a 63 mile wind gust, lightning heavy rain....still under watch till 9pm yay :roll: i am so sick of this weather....i hate the summer time.....ruined my fishing trip 2 weeks in a row.

dee

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was just reading a story about how toxic the floodwaters are. I don't know how many people are affected, but it's many thousands, it sounds like. One town is deciding if it will rebuild....or move. A whole town! Now, I know it's not a huge town, but what a thing to have to go through.

I hope it all stops soon; many parts of the country were in drought (and some still are), but this isn't exactly what we needed to resolve it.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry about all the difficulties some of you are having.

Looks like we are fortunate here, we don't have your fabulous hot summers, we are lucky to hit 24 centigrade in a heat wave !! but neither do we have the extremes in either summer or winter.

Take care all you folks.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

golfball size hail yesterday ugh but it is beeeee-u teeee-fulllll today not supposed to get out of the 80s all week and down in the 50s hooray

doing the happy weather dance 8) 8) 8) [img][img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/eli46_bucket/Dancing.gif[/img]

dee[/img]

Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945