MAD-1 Device

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ccarol

MAD-1 Device

Post by ccarol »

Anyone tried the New Zeland produced "MAD-1 Device"? Advertised as emitting low-eltro pulse that simulates/stimulates acupuncture sites to relieve RLS - among other things. I'd like to try it if anyone has had any luck with it at all....
thanks!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds interesting...wonder what a European or US equivalent might be...and if anyone has tried it.

Huh, now that I think about it, my BIL tried something that might have been this. It was for his neuropathy. I didn't try it because my meds work most times; I should ask if he still has it as there are nights the meds aren't working and I could try it to report results.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I wonder if it is at all similar to my Alpha-Stim unit, which sends a mild electrical current through the body/brain that is supposed to resemble the "native language" of the body. I have had great success with it for pain, but not with the other sensations of RLS, or with the jerking. In fact it seems like it makes the myoclonus worse for a while. And I do often have a pain "kickback" for a day or so after treatment, after which I get marked relief.
Susan

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

This sounds similar to the TENS unit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutaneous_Electrical_Nerve_Stimulator that my husband has for his shoulder pain. I've often wondered if this would help my legs too... I've tried it on my neck when I get bad headaches, but haven't put it on my legs yet.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know that the one my BIL has is supposed exactly opposite in terms of a TENS machine (at least that's what I think he told me....). I didn't quite get his explanation and it was a year ago I think. I wrote about it here, so maybe I can find the post.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

re MAD-1 devise

Post by mackjergens »

Here is a web addy that tells all about the MAD-1 devise. The only thing that bothers me is its listed for a help for about 10-15 different problems, RLS being one of those

http://www.mad-1.com/index.htm

ccarol

Mad-1

Post by ccarol »

As Mackjergens said, the web site for this device is pertty good - but altho there is lots of info, there isn't anything really definitive - more disconcerting to me is that I can't find any remarks, replies, mention of the device anyplace else on the internet. Could it be this thing is really THAT new?
So, gang-o-mine, check out the web site and give me your opinion - I'm ok with the price if you all think it's worth a try. I have seen on this site, as well as others, that acupuncture has been effective for some RLS sufferers, but it seems it only lasts for a limited time following treatment. If this device is like continuous acupuncture, it might do the trick. I'm really looking for something to use for travel (my meds work good at home, where I can go to sleep on a regular schedule). Airplane trips and long car rides are horrid and I dread having to do them! I'd be willing to give this MAD-1 a try if anyone else thinks it MIGHT work.
Thanks for your time and valued opinions!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

OK, not at all like my Alpha-Stim thingee, which was prescribed by my pain doctor and administered by a physical therapist until I got my own. I'd be a bit skeptical since it just claims to do so many things. Do they have any studies to back it up? I guess the disclaimer page says it all:

We make no medical claims as to benefit of our device and methods. Our products are not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The MAD-1 device, this website and any literature produced by M.E.S. Technologies Inc are to be used for research purposes only.

But you just never know what might work...
Susan