ambien for sleep

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lyndarae

ambien for sleep

Post by lyndarae »

anyone use ambien for sleep with any luck and how much do you take

alwayssearching

ambien memory problems

Post by alwayssearching »

Ambien will make you sleep but does not stop the leg movements. The main problem is that you can't take it long term. It causes memory problems like you would not believe combined with RLS. RLS still apparently causes sleep interuptions while taking ambien.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey there alwayssearching, Yup I didnt do well with the ambeian at all. And I am having memory problems(old age) as it is... It did nothing for the leg jerks and I didnt even sleep on it. A big waste of money for me. But I needed sleep so bad I was willing to do just about anything including knocking myself out with a baseball bat.. Thank GOD I dont own one. thank for the feed back~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I tried Ambien. It did nothing for my RLS and made me halucinate.

Post by Guest »

My advice to you is to give it a shot, because everyone reacts differently, but be cautious. For example, the first dosage you take, make sure you are in bed; it'll knock you out. Also, I and many others have had memory loss (complete after it started until the moment I awoke.) What your doctor is probably doing is trying the first line of treatment, which is somehow, ignorantly, considered a non-addictive alternative, to treat a hopefully short-term sleep problem. My confusion with prescribing ambien for RLS is that ambien lasts for a very short time (around and hour, give or take) and is prescribed for short-term insomnia..why will this take a full night's sleep of moving limbs and help? The duration isnt near long enough. The first line of treatment, and the possible (quite possible) ignorance on the doctor's part about rls are my only 2 possible explanations on its being prescribed. Take what i say with a saltshaker, though :) hope i helped and God bless!

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey guest, Thanks for the info as you see that post was in JUly since that time I did try ambeian, and it did nothing for me either. I need something a whole lot better than that my Rls is 24/7 and becoming more painful by the day thanks~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

lifejoy

Post by lifejoy »

Lyndarae, it's nice to meet you. I was the one who posted yesterday as "guest"- i forgot to put in my name. Ya, I hoped that it would work for you but honestly had a hard time not considering all of the possibilities it wouldn't. If you are having pain, my personal opinion, and most docs, is methadone. As long as you take it as you are supposed to the addiction potential really isn't as high as many people over-exclaim. It's quite possible that a benzodiazepine (ativan, xanax, klonopin) would help with dulling the pain and hopefully get your mind off of the agony. For the sleep aspect Klonopin does a beautiful job for the majority of patients that take it, but it has side effects; you will probably forget things and feel slightly confused when you first start taking it, but wow..wake up and you're ready for the day like never before. If you haven't tried klonopin yet I highly recommend giving it a try, and if there is extra pain, as you had said, it's possible that your doc will prescribe ultram/ultracet which also seems to work well for rls. The only thing with ultracet that I'll warn you about is that i've read long-term use can lead to nerve damage, so I personally would stick to an actual opiate such as hydrocodone. Ultram/Ultracet (tramadol) isn't an opiate and has a different mode of working. Good Luck, and I hope all goes well at the doctor's! GOD BLESS :)