RLS deviation

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
drdonut

RLS deviation

Post by drdonut »

I have been treated for RLS for several years fairly successfully. My symptoms used to be primarily in my left leg; however, over the last year my left arm has gotten increasingly worse. My neurologist thinks it is a deviation of RLS (he did check for Carpal tunnel - not it...). Anyone else have it in other areas of their body? If any of you have it in your arm, any suggestions other than prescription meds? Appreciate any discussion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, lots of us have had it migrate. More strange, a few people here have had it primarily in other body parts and only mildly in the legs.

We all joke here. . .it should be restless body syndrome. . .or better yet, a whole new name with no connotations of body part being affected.

Sorry to hear yours has migrated :(

Oh, in terms of management, what have you tried? Check out the "sticky" posts, especially the one called "managing your RLS" in the New to RLS section. The, head over to the Non-pharm area. People have written in hundreds of things they have used. The problem is that none of them work for the majority, with the possible exception of massage (hard to do all the time and only works while doing it for some of us) and taking iron if you have low ferritin.

There is so much great info here. . .but, because nothing works the same for everyone, reading through the posts is the only real way to get a feel for the possibilities.

Happy reading. . .and good luck trying things. And, welcome to the board. I hope you find what you need here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

drdonut

nice to hear

Post by drdonut »

[color=violet]Although I would wish RLS on no one, it is nice to hear that I am not the only one with these symptoms. I have tried Neurontin and that helped for years, but have recently switched to Requip since Neurontin is not doing the trick anymore. I do next to no caffiene, I exercise and try to eat healthy. My iron levels are fine, as is most of the rest of my health so I don't have the comorbid symptoms many of the people on the board have shared. In a nutshell, my arm just drives me crazy after 8PM at night.[/color] javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, other than me having really low ferritin (my iron is fine - hemoglobin -but ferritin is abyssmally low), I also don't use caffeine, eat well, am mostly gluten-free (my DH has to be), exercise, take vitamins and supplements, etc. And, have no other conditions. But, the RLS is a nightmare.

For some of us, it just doesn't seem to help to change diet, vitamins, etc. because we're already doing it. Funny how it works for others. I wish it worked for you, drdonut.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

rls deviation

Post by ctravel12 »

HI drdonut and welcome to the group. Ann gave you some good adivse in reading info in the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" reading alot of the older posts is informative too.

I hope that you find the relief that you need. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Unless someone walks in your shoes for just a day, week etc. they have no idea what you are going through. We are here for you, so please do not hesitate to talk to us at anytme. Take care and have a nice and restful weekend.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I wouldn't wish RLS on anyone, not my worst enemy (as far as I know I don't have any)... But I wish EVERYONE had it for 1 full week every night. I wish this because unless you've experienced it first hand you just can't get it.

Best of luck to you all!!!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

woodsie357 wrote:I wouldn't wish RLS on anyone, not my worst enemy (as far as I know I don't have any)... But I wish EVERYONE had it for 1 full week every night. I wish this because unless you've experienced it first hand you just can't get it.

Best of luck to you all!!!

I have often said let them walk in my shoes a day, week or whatever and see how they feel. What you said sums it up to what I have been saying.
I hope that you are doing much better. Take care. Thanks for posting this.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I say two weeks. You don't really start losing your mind the first week.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I just wish that ALL Doctors/and med field people would have rls for 2 wks non stop. I can assure you we RLSer's would recieve much better medical help!!