Exerciser 2000 Elite

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jrb1122

Exerciser 2000 Elite

Post by jrb1122 »

Has anybody used the Exerciser 2000 Elite for RLS or PLMD? In the literature for this foot/leg vibrator it say it can be of help.

Befoer I buy one I wonder if anybody else has used it and if it works.

John B.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I honestly don't know, and am still confused about how excersize affect RLS.. It seems like doctors are always telling us we need to do more, and wear ourselves out, etc.. But then some people who do vigorous workouts, etc complain that it actually makes their RLS worse, etc..

I don't know either way, but I'm very reluctant to believe a machine is going to make your RLS go away for a long term period over several hours or more. You could just as easily do pushups and get a 5 or 10 minute respite, but that's about the best luck I've had. I'm not even sure it really makes it go away, but more like the feeling of your limbs being stressed to the point of tiredness simply blocks out the RLS until you recover a few minutes later.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Exercise always makes my rls worse, just going to the mall and walking around shopping for a few hours, I know that night the rls will be worse. have tried a treadmill and that really for some strange reason makes my rls kick in. But each person is different

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

A recent study showed that average, moderate, aerobic exercise makes RLS better...in the long run. People sometimes DO worsen when they start, but they get better after they get used to it.

But, too vigorous activity is out. And no activity does (for some of us at least) make it worse.

The study completely validates what I'd experienced before my artificial-RLS caused by augmentation. When I would do moderate gym workouts - 1/2 hour or so, 4-5 days a week - I'd be much worse for the first two weeks. By the third week, all RLS would be gone.

Now? I think it does still help, but since I'm on methadone, the effect is much smaller.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi. I don't know of anyone has used that particular variety of massager/passive exerciser, but I have seen them in health clubs. Since it moves your legs for you it might be a way to lie down and actually relax, which could be a real treat.

You could always give it a try. It has a 90 day, money back warranty, and the company is a member of the BBB. If you try it, do let us know how it works!
Susan

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

This one has looked like heaven to me since I first saw it advertised. If my RLS comes back (it's under control w/ .125 Mirapex) I think I'll buy the device. Please let us know what you decide--good luck.

jml945

Post by jml945 »

Exercize almost always makes my RLS worse. Maybe not right away, but I feel it afterwards tenfold.
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

What seems to be the case for most of us is the following:

1. Intermittant exercise makes RLS worse

2. Regular exercise makes RLS better, but after a period of worsening - maybe a few days to a week or so.

3. Regular exercise seems to work best when moderate or light - walking, swimming, biking, hiking.

There are two new studies out both showing that regular aerobic exercise over the period of several months decreased RLS significantly. Of course, we are all different and some of us may not have this success. Now that my RLS is in the sort of constant stage, the exercise has less effect than it did when it was intermittent.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I've had RLS for a long time years. I'm to tired to do the math... anyway I have 4 kids. My last pregnancy I had hardcore RLS when I got pregnant. And I knew what that meant... anyway after she was born and worried that I wouldn't be able to not sleep for 5 days at a time and be able to care for her.... I signed up for the YMCA which has free babysitting for members.. the hitch is you have to remain in the building the whole time. But that didn't matter to me I wanted her to be attented to better then I trusted myself at the time to be able to do. So after my older kids went to school I'd head down to YMCA every day check her into nursery and go to the gym. I'd treadmill, then do some weights, then go swim in the therapy pool. It didn't do anything towards making my RLS, but I knew my baby was ok. She's ended up being one of those kids that wakes up and runs every min she's awake. But YMCA got me past the 2 steps fall down, repeat stage. We moved out of state, now she plays chase the cat all day.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights