Methadone Withdrawals !!!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bharrod

Methadone Withdrawals !!!

Post by bharrod »

Wow, I have not been here for such a long time!! Hi everyone! I have missed you all.

I have recently tried to stop the methadone for health reasons and I ended up with HORRIBLE--- terrible withdrawal symptoms that I almost put myself into a psych ward, they were so bad.

I was crying all day long, and I couldn't sleep and my arms had restless legs syndrome SO BAD (not my legs at all)....and I felt nauseated and sick and I went from being hot to cold to hot to cold all day long...........I just felt HORRIBLE like I was going to DIE!! I laid in bed for days, couldn't even care for myself at all.

Finally I gave in to the evil drug and took it after 4 days without it. Once I started back on the methadone, my horrible (and I mean HORRIBLE) withdrawal symptoms went away after about 2 to 3 hours.....

Now I am on a mission to get off the methadone for good, if it can put me into that bad of withdrawal then it's not the drug for me....Also, my adrenal glands have stopped producing cortisol and my pituitary gland is malfunctioning, I believe it's because of the methadone. So I am getting off this crap very soon, my husband is going to take 2 weeks off of work to help with the kids while I go through withdrawals here at home. I already know that it will be TERRIBLE because I just recently tried it and I caved in after 4 days

But this time I will have a plan and some back up meds to get me through. Maybe some ambien to get me some sleep...

I am thinking 2 weeks should be enough time to get me through the worst part. I feel that the methadone is the cause of a lot of the issues that I am having including absorbtion of foods in my gut, adrenal issues and other things and that is why I feel that I must get off of it right away....

Don't get me wrong, it's been a wonder drug for fixing the RLS - it works, but at what price?

Mia

bharrod

Post by bharrod »

PS - If anyone here has any pointers on how to withdrawal from Methadone I would love to hear them, as I can tell you that those 4 days were some of the worst days of my life!! So trying to come off of this stuff is going to be very difficult and I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks
Mia

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry you're having difficulty, Mia.

Please indulge me - how much do you take and how many times a day?

Per the withdrawal, have you talked to your doctor? I would hope he or she would be knowledgeable regarding how to help you. I have never had to do this and all the people who've stopped that I know of have either not had any problems or have just gutted it out (not the best option).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bharrod

Post by bharrod »

Hi, thanks for replying.........

I only take 5mg per day (2 hours before bed).

That is why I was SO shocked when I had severe withdrawal symptoms, in fact I didn't even believe that it was withdrawal symptoms at first, but when I finally gave in and took the Methadone I felt brand new after 2 or 3 hours, that is how I knew it was bad withdrawals.

Mia

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's interesting...and a bit scary. We've had several people over the years - in fact someone in the last week or two - say that they've stopped it cold without any problems. Not sure, but it seems only one or two people have had difficulty at all (that they have written about here). It sounds like you may be very sensitive to dependence (I know I am). I guess nothing we can do about that; we could never take anything that causes dependence, but then I'd never be treated for my RLS.

There is no doubt that there is a trade-off with ANY of the RLS drugs. There are NO drugs for RLS that can't cause side effects, and most cause dependence, such as the methadone is doing for you.

I can unequivocally say that the price of potentially going through withdrawal is worth it to me to not have RLS 24 hours a day; it's definitely not worth it for you. We each need to know what our bottom line is. Without medication, I'd sleep from zero to 3 hours a day. I'd lose my ability to work, my husband would lose his wife, I'd be depressed, unhappy, anxious....no quality of life at all.

But, not all drugs are "right" for everyone. This may be something that isn't right for you. I hope you find one that does work as well that doesn't cause these other problems.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Mia,
I have never taken this med, so maybe should not comment. But if it were me, I would not just quit cold turkey. I would start cutting back each night just a little at a time. That way your system will adjust to less meds and hopefully, that will prevent the horrid problems you had.

Have you done a research on google . how to get off methadone. I think you will find many suggestions.

Please check with your Dr before trying to do this again.

bharrod

Post by bharrod »

Why would my doctor need to know? What benefit would that give me? ....................................................

Unless he could be here at my house 24 hours a day helping me, feeding me, and watching me, I don't see how his help could help me out at all?

The ONLY possible help that he could offer me is some prescription ambien or other sleep aid.

Getting off of Methadone isn't like getting off of alcohol (which I have done myself succesfully in the past - more then once....)

Alcohol can KILL you if you quit it cold turkey (if you are a bad drunk) the withdrawals alone can kill you from alcohol, but no other drug can kill you while you are coming off of it, just alcohol. I learned that in rehab :=)

So, there is no need to let my doctor know, as he would probably just say "ok, if that is what you want then stop the drug".... I will let my other doctor know though, because I want him to prescribe me some ambien or other drugs first, as back up in case of emergency (ie: I cannot sleep).

THanks
Mia

mackjergens wrote:Mia,
I have never taken this med, so maybe should not comment. But if it were me, I would not just quit cold turkey. I would start cutting back each night just a little at a time. That way your system will adjust to less meds and hopefully, that will prevent the horrid problems you had.

Have you done a research on google . how to get off methadone. I think you will find many suggestions.

Please check with your Dr before trying to do this again.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

He might have experience in how to help you, Mia. He could tell you how to cut it back - how much, how fast. There are also drugs he can give you to help with the process.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

I've read accounts from many an addict, that getting off Methadone was hell. Even after being tapered down to 1mg..

Methadone stays in our systems a lot longer than other painkillers. Up to 72 hours in some cases. As a consequence, the withdrawal period is longer.

I'm sorry you've decided to stop taking it. I hope you have another plan for dealing with your RLS, as it seemed like this was one of the only options you found to work... I would like your doctor know your intent, and maybe ask him about the possibility of stepping down onto weaker painkillers by a process, each time stepping down to the next weaker painkiller, etc.. That might be a possible way to come off it easier.

As you will still have opiates in your system while going thru Methadone withdrawal, but once the Methadone withdrawal is over.. You are only taking short-acting opiates that do not linger in the body, and at reasonable small doses, you can quit with minimal or no severe withdrawal symptoms.

Have you had significant testing done to diagnose why these problems are occuring? I have never heard of Methadone causing these kinds of issues (except maybe at a certain forum that will blame anything on Methadone) and Methadone is one of the MOST well studied, safest opiates available, if not the #1. I've never heard of or seen any warning literature about these kinds of side effects and to be blunt, if you haven't had significant testing done by a doctor, who tells you who believes the Methadone is the problem, I think its unfair to blame it like that..

If I recall you were also an alcoholic. These problems could just as well be related to past damage to your body. Or it could be something else your body is going through right now.. You've been on it for a long time, and it seems odd that things would suddenly stop working, and show no warning signs or problems so far into your treatment. Those things are more likely to happen when you initially start taking a drug.

But that's just my opinion.. I really hope you do have a plan, you seem to have had a rocky history with Methadone, and I can't blame you for being scared by stuff like that. I just don't think its right to pin the blame on it because of a thought you have, etc.. If a doctor told you this, then I suppose its worth looking into, but if you haven't been to a doctor about any of this yet, you need to go.