i dont know what else to do!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
eli711

i dont know what else to do!

Post by eli711 »

hello,
im new to this site and i am desperate for help. i dont have insurance due to the fact that i just moved to a new state. and i have very strong symptoms of RLS. I can not controll my legs no matter what i do! tonight alone i have had to take 2 hot showers and i have tryed walking, advil, everything!!! please dose any know what else i can do to find some comfort while i get settled in my new home??? i am desperate for some kind of help from these symptoms... i dont know how much more i can take! :cry:
EKC

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Couple things you can try. One is to go down to the county health department for your area, they will take you on a walk-in basis and you can usually be seen by a physician the same day, at little or no cost, and he can prescribe SOMEthing for your symptoms, be it the RLS drugs, or a tranquilizer, or opiates (that one if you're lucky). Two is to pull on some knee-high support hose or diabetic stockings, it should stop the seizing of your calf muscles long enough to where you can rest more comfortably or fall asleep. Keep in mind, the longer you are standing and using your legs, the worse your symptoms will likely be. You can stretch out your legs real good, after a day of activity, that helps a tiny bit, and be sure to stay well-hydrated.

Also, I might add, do not take any kind of over-the-counter sleeping medicines or cold medicines, the antihistimines will make RLS worse. You can also go down to the health food store, and you can try out any of a number of their "migraine" or "tranquilizer" type herb forumlas, they may ease up your discomfort, but keep in mind they will often give you a hangover, for some reason.

As for your insurance, you are going to have to make some phone calls to your last insurance people and ask them what in the world are you supposed to do with no insurance, perhaps they have a Cobra program that extends insurance, or maybe they can hook you up with a similar insurance group in your new state, just see what they say about the whole thing. You might can also sign up for a high-risk insurance, where you pay a little more, but they'll give you basic coverage.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

eli711

Post by eli711 »

thanks alot for your advice im going to do some research right now!
EKC

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

eli - click on the link in my signature - LOTS of info there that you can take with you. There is an algorithm that you can print - it tells the doctor what medications can/should be used. It was created by the Mayo Clinic, so should be accepted by any doctor (however, be careful how you present it - some doctors get there panties in a twist when they aren't top boss).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Re: Eli

Post by Betty/WV »

Eli: You just received some excellent advice from dogeyed and ViewsAskew. But I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your pain. And I hope you get some help. All of us here understand how miserable RLS can make you. Don't give up, keep on trying. I wish you the best. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm losing my insurance at the end of this month, and am in a new state.

County health department is a really good suggestion. If they can't help you chances are they have a social worker that you could probably work with to find something. Don't give up hope, you have a family here on RLS now!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, another potential option....RLS is usually the worst between, say 7 or 8 PM and 2 or 3 AM. By about 4 or 5 AM, it's sort of worn off and we can often sleep.

If you can (and a lot of us cannot), try to switch your schedule for awhile. Stay up until 3 or 4 or 5 AM. Keep busy. Do your laundry, ironing, cooking, whatever you'd normally do during the day. Then, go to sleep at about 3 to 5 AM. You might be surprised - this often works. Sleep until noon or 1 PM. Get up, go about your day, be keep your busywork for the late evening.

I know this sounds crazy, but being stressed absolutely makes RLS worse. Moving is very stressful. Try to relax during the day when the RLS isn't bothering you (if you have a time it isn't). Do some deep breathing, counter that stress. And make sure you're getting exercise - gentle walking is great, nothing strenuous. When the RLS starts up, take a deep breath and accept it. You can't fight it or you get more stressed...and it gets worse.

It's SOOOOOOOO hard to do this - the accepting part. But, it does make a big difference. When it comes, just be like, OK, the RLS is here, time to get up and get moving, rather than, AAARRRGGGHHHHH the RLS is back, I hate it, the is horrible, I want to kill it!!!!!!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Susie

Post by Susie »

:lol: LOVE that last paragraph!

eli711

Post by eli711 »

i agree the last paragraph sure dose put it in a nutshell!
EKC