Careless

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Careless

Post by Polar Bear »

I really gotta learn to lift my feet!!! Ten days ago I was carrying an armful of dripping hand washing from the kitchen to the washing line, moving very quickly so as not to soak the kitchen floor. I tripped over the bottom of the door frame, losing my footing, tried to right myself as I stumbled.

My face hit the garage wall and then hit the bolt on the garden gate. At this time I was still holding the washing. Blood everywhere. My husband came running out of the house, both of us were covered in blood. Our d-in-law lives next door and she is a nurse, of course she calmly sat me down, took my pulse etc. hubby soaked a towel to mop my face and look at the damage. Fifteen minutes later with icepack on face, we were at the Emergency Dept.

Result was 12 stitches in my forehead, two black eyes (one closed), swollen nose, bruising to my shoulder, grazed arm.

Today, ten days later, I am a sort of mellow yellow colour!! There was surprisingly little pain with all this swelling, but oh... it did look bad.

I felt like I needed a sticker saying, 'I did this to myself'
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I'm trying to remember what my wife did... she literally did one of the classic cover-up excuses for being bruised, something like walking into the edge of a door in the dark. I was horrified at the thought of her telling people how she'd gotten hurt, because they'd assume I'd been beating her. :roll: I told her she had to stay home 'til she healed. :)

Hope your recovery continues quickly...
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh my! I am happy you are doing fine now; it sounds very scary and painful. Your description does sound like something you'd not want to tell people for fear they'd say your husband was beating you...Aiken I can see why you wanted your wife sequestered!

When I first read it, I had a vision of myself doing something similar. I never have, but I easily could. I have very wide feet and often can't find shoes that fit that are attractive (or not extremely expensive). So, I often buy a slightly larger size than I need to get extra width. This means I have too much space in the shoe in front; if I don't pick up my feet carefully, I trip. As I've aged, I'm less inclined to do it, but I still have one pair that I really ought to give/throw away.

You have just given me the encouragement to do this and to NEVER buy another pair that could contribute to such an accident. (The things I do for vanity...)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

And I thought my recent fall was bad...

My face ran into various furniture on the way down and I got a black eye, and royally aggravated my foot which apparently my crappy shoes have overstressed because they have no arch support.. I limp everywhere, and can't wait to get home to my meds after work :?

But I didn't need stitches at least...yuck..

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You are both so right.

Hubby of course played the joker, with friends. 'She'll do what she's told next time!!!' :lol:
To which my response is, it only looks like he won !!

Trust me, I really did do it to myself.

But you could see strangers looking, and in stores where people would normally say about an injury ... oh, that looks painful ...... it was all carefully ignored - to the point of being ridiculous.... I mean, we all knew I was black and blue.!!

And yes, I was wearing footwear with no support. These very comfy leather 'slides'. Its a shame I own 3 pairs in different colours. And for the same, but different, reasons as Ann. My feet are very narrow and proper fitting shoes cost a fortune. I love shoes but hate looking for them as I can leave a store with nothing fitting, never mind what I am actually looking for. Therefore if I find a shoe that fits well ...... I Buy It.... whether I need it or not.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I need 10-1/2 wides... Try finding those :evil:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey Zach, sorry you were injured also.

Don't forget, my stitches are out and all is healing.
Your foot injury is something else, I reckon cuts and breaks heal better that strains etc. which can seem to go on forever.
Yeah, good supporting shoes are important.

Shoe size - 10 and a half wide...... hmmm
I don't know what that is in UK sizing, but our eldest boy has extreme difficulty getting decent stylish footwear.
He is 6'5" tall and wears UK size 13 footwear.

Hope you are painfree soon.
Betty

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh, ouch! I'm glad you're on the mend!
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Funny that the shoe thing is a bit common...sorta sad, too.

Even funnier is that I have a compulsion to buy shoes that seem to fit - when a child, I had to wear ugly shoes - special ones that fit my wide feet. I hated them. I'd lose them every chance I could. It was because everyone made fun of me.

Now? Give me anything that seems close to fitting and I buy it, whether I need it or not, because I feel like I can never find anything that fits. So I fool myself.

Humans are funny sometimes, lol.

added - even funnier that I wrote foot for fool above! I edited it...probably should have left it :lol:
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu May 21, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Susan, yes I am well on the mend. wore make-up today for the first time in 11 days. And with very fair skin and blonde eyelashes etc. I really do need make-up.

Ann, funny you should say that about the shoes you wore as a child.

Cos I love shoes. And as a child we didn't have much spare cash. My mother would have gotten me shoes off the man with the van who came around with goods from a store in a nearby larger town, and then called for his payment weekly. If he was asked to bring a certain size in a shoe you got about 3 pair to chose from. You took what fitted best.

I recall a particular pair of shoes... OMG how I hated them... black patent with a big buckle on the front, the kind that are worn sometimes by Scottish Dancers. There was also the winter boots, ankle high suede with a zipper on the front, the type that old ladies wore - I was about 8 at the time.

Perhaps this explains our love of shoes. Kind of ironic that some of us are so hard to fit. :roll:
Betty

Neco

Post by Neco »

I looked at a chart, it didn't list 10-1/2 wide width, but 10-1/2 in Europe is 44, in UK it's 10..

But in the US it can be hard to find 10-1/2 wide width.. I used to wear 11's for years but got sick of the huge amount of toe space at the front, and when I bought my most recent pair, the 10's were snug but better after I broke them in, however the tight fit and lack of arch support combined is probably what really screwed me..

When you do find 10-1/2 in a store there is usually a very thin selection and they don't always look appealing.. But I am using a pair of my dads wide widths until I can find a pair I like.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I found this store online, but they are expensive! Even for non therapeutic shoes..

http://www.justwideshoes.com

Maybe I should stay after work one day and look at some shoes, if I can arrange to have a register opened by someone when I'm done with my cleaning duties.. They might have some decent shoes at Pennies.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Zach, I don't think buying shoes that need broken in are doing your feet any favours.

I am a big fan of Charity Shops and find great bargains of good quality nearly new. I have found really good quality clothes and shoes. It's fun and you can be very particular, just taking your time, and if you found shoes that fit and are a nearly new but worn enough to be broken in, it could be an option.

A couple of months ago I bought 2 new dresses in a well known chain store, they were £60 each. Last week in a charity shop I came across the same dress in a different colour for £4 which of course I bought. So pleased !!

I only look at the more up-market stuff be it clothes, shoes, costume jewellery, or household goods.

Look on it as a hobby. Tho, you often have to wade through lots of mediocre (sp) before coming upon your find. Also, you get to know the more suitable charity shops, in certain areas, i.e. more affluent areas. My favourite shoes were such a find, barely worn, and a make that would be £100 plus, and I got them for £4.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is a fun thing if you are in an urban area with enough shops. In the US, it is a bit harder if you live away from a large town.

Even here in Chicago, I don't have a really good shop around me. The two that are close are very poor quality in terms of clothing. Sometimes I can find great houseware deals, but not clothing. There is supposedly a great shop a few miles away, but I don't get to that area of the city very often. I should do it one day soon just to see how great it is. A friend was telling me that she found some designer purse (I admit I'd never heard the name before) that would sell for about $1000 USD for $50 USD. She was very pleased with herself.

I guess you have to know some of these things before you go, don't you, such as who the in designers are and what costs what at a department store.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, for the charity shop search to be worthwhile they really do need to be convenient. You could visit a shop several times and find nothing of interest, then one day.... there it is.... your bargain find. It is a very random shot if you have to travel a distance.

I am fortunate that altho I live in a small market town there are 3 such shops, and several more within a 10 minute drive.

The city is a 25 minute drive and in particular there are a couple of shops in what is perceived as the affluent side of the city. The worn once special occasion sort of stuff of good quality.

I probably miss a bargain cos I wouldn't know who is an 'in' designer, but can usually tell what is a little bit 'different'. I think perhaps I have a latent 'hippy' streak.... a little bit of the 60s that I never quite outgrew.
:roll:

Now that I am a little more comfortable I still find it impossible to pass a charity shop, ignore a car boot sale, or buy something that is not in a sale. Don't misunderstand me, I believe I am a generous person, but waste is an awful thing... and its great to give something a new life.
Betty