Hello From SC!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Dixie Angel

Hello From SC!

Post by Dixie Angel »

Good morning, and it is a very good morning for me. I finally got some rest last night after battling my legs and arm this week during bed time. I have not formally been diagnosed with RLS but I know that it is something that I suffer with. My mother had the same condition, also. :(

I found this site by looking for information after three nights of no rest. I was so relieved to find that there is help for the crazy legs. Too many nights of no sleep could really drive someone insane. :roll:

I am planning on visiting the doctor soon to discuss this new condition with him for the very first time. Though I have dealt with RLS for years, I have never really had ongoing problems with it where it hung around more than a night or two. I am glad to find the information to help me to describe what I am going through.

Thank you all so much for being here! :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Dixie - so sorry you had to find us.

Since this hasn't been something regular in the past, I might suggest that the very first thing is to ask the doctor to test you for ferritin levels. Your ferritin should be at least 50, and even better if it's 100 when you have RLS. But, the labs and doctors think that anything over 10-20 is fine. But, it's not for us!

I'm sure others will have lots of good info, too. Reading old posts is wonderfully helpful.

To me, most helpful (because I like to read, I guess) are the sticky posts in each section.

Happy reading!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dixie Angel

Post by Dixie Angel »

ViewsAskew, I have had problems with RLS in the past, just never mentioned it to the doctor for some reason. I guess I thought my legs were just tired... :roll:

I am just wondering what my doctor will say about this. In the past I have been told that I should be aching or not feeling well because I am getting older. Sort of upset me when he brushed my complaints of chest pains off. My cariologist had to write him a letter to inform him that my chest pains are not in my head. I have been searching for a more sympathetic family practioner... :wink:

Ferritin levels? I will be reading a lot on this forum, I am sure, to help me understand what is going on with my legs. I can't stand it when they are ready to go walking when I am ready to sleep and now my arm has started doing the jerking, too. :( I didn't know RLS could affect the arms until I started reading here.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum... :D

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Welcome to the forum, Dixie. It sounds like maybe a different family doctor might be in order. If he doesn't take chest pain seriously, what DOES he take seriously?!
Susan

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

dixie,
please do not be surprised if your Dr knows very little about rls. please read and educate yourself as much as possible before going to the Dr, because most of us find that many Drs know very little about rls. know all the meds used to treat rls and the proper dose for rls. Also know the meds known to make rls worse. So much reading and learning before seeing a dr, can actually save yourself from recieving a wrong med or wrong info about rls.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

D.A., Another welcome. Think most here will agree, a good doc is an absolute priority. Probably applies to searching for a doc in general, but maybe made even more important as relates to rls. Don't settle for that "you're growing old" bit or worse that you chest pain is in your head. Let us know how the doc visit goes. Again, welcome. M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yikes - another doctor had to tell him your symptoms were NOT in your head????

I think you might indeed want to find a more sympathetic family doc...yowsa.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Dixie Angel

Post by Dixie Angel »

Thanks for the additional welcomes Susan, Mack, and Sojourner! :D

I haven't been to the doctor yet. Until I can understand exactly what is going on with me it is probably prudent to read as much as I can so that I can explain it. Maybe by the time I understand I will have found a new family doc and he/she will be more sympathetic... :wink:

I definitely need to study what makes the symptons worse before I visit the doctor. I don't think I could handle having this get worse because of medication. Don't think my husband could either... :lol:

Neco

Post by Neco »

Click the link in my signature for the Mayo Algorithm.

It's real easy to understand, and establishes treatment protocols about what drugs to try first, what to try next, what to do then, etc..

Its mean for both patients AND doctors, so bring a copy with you when you go see a doctor.

Dixie Angel

Post by Dixie Angel »

Thanks for the link, Zach! :D

I will be printing it out to take to the doctor with me when I go. Maybe it will help with the diagnosis and the treatment.

My husband kept patting my leg the other night while in bed and telling me to be still. I was thinking that our pup was moving, but it was my legs having a midnight stroll. :lol:

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

D.A., I think it's great that you are learning more and hopefully how to express your concerns and symptoms in a way that will be helpful to your doc. I think we all experience "things" in different ways so be sure to editorialize with respect to your own symptoms. However, IMO, while I think learning more is helpful in the "you to your doc" communications it can be even more valuable in the "doc to you" communications as you will know if what is being said or if he/she is just blowing smoke in your face. Best wishes, my friend. M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sojourner wrote: However, IMO, while I think learning more is helpful in the "you to your doc" communications it can be even more valuable in the "doc to you" communications as you will know if what is being said or if he/she is just blowing smoke in your face. Best wishes, my friend. M.

I think M articulated something I find the algorithm most helpful for: helping me discern if the doctor is at all on the same page with the RLS experts. If he says to do something and it's not supported by the algorithm? Hmmmm....

Managing Your RLS

Dixie Angel

Post by Dixie Angel »

I am sure the "me to doc" conversations will be met with skepticism, as are a lot of my concerns. :x Right now I have had a lot going on and haven't been able to find another family practitioner. I will soon, though...

If I don't find another soon that is taking new patients, I just hope my present doctor will read the copy of the algorithm I carry in with me... :roll:

I am so tired of trying to sleep and my frog legs wanting to jump around all night long... :(