Hello from IN!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I dont know that this Dr. knows whats goin on..
She acted surprised at my appt. the other day that the Sinemet made it worse and said it should make RLS better..
Now she doesnt think I have it but she has ordered an MRI on my lower back and more blood work as well as put me on Klonopin .5mg.
I took the Klonopin for the first time lastnight and it calmed me down and made me feel as if I was weightless.
I enjoyed feeling better in that way but it didnt do anything for the twitching/electrical volt type feelings in the legs..
Maybe another few days to a week?
They wanna see me back in 8 weeks but I'll be moving so I guess I better call and schedule in sooner and I hope this MRI might show something..

Neco

Post by Neco »

Jeff, it sounds like you need to see another doctor.

From http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=1296
Dopamine Precursor (Levodopa): Best for Intermittent RLS or to
Confirm RLS Diagnosis
The dopamine precursor levodopa is converted to dopamine
in the brain. Typical doses are in the range of 25/100 to
50/200 (mg carbidopa/mg levodopa) usually taken one
hour before symptom onset. Effectiveness on the first night
of use at low doses supports the feasibility of intermittent or
as-needed use of levodopa, as well as its use in a therapeutic
trial for patients in whom the diagnosis of RLS is in doubt.

Sinemet clearly causes augmentation and can be used to confirm RLS when it is in doubt. If you took it and your RLS got worse, even after a brief period of relief the first couple of doses.. Then I would think it is clear you have RLS..

Did you bring in the Mayo Algorithm at all? The document makes it very clear that Sinemet (levodopa) will make RLS worse in 70% of patients.

If she is ignorant of this or unwilling to acknowledge clinical sources such as the Mayo Algorithm, you really need to see someone else who is more educated and open minded.

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Even after the first dose, I could tell it wasnt working..
One symptom of too much dopamine in the brain is twitching uncontrollably..
The Sinemet only made that worse so it makes me think my dopamine levels are fine..
Im no Dr. but thats the way I feel about it..
I'll wait and see what the blood tests are gonna show and see hwo the MRI looks and if they cant find nothing there, Im gonna stick with it being RLS because everything else has almost been ruled out..
Thats when I'll bring the algorithm and show her..

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well, as long as you can emotionally and physically wait it out until that time, I suppose that is up to you..

But I would go in as soon as possible, there is no reason to suffer and put off proper care for something that is her fault for lack of knowledge.