Knee Replacement Surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
RamblinRosie

Knee Replacement Surgery

Post by RamblinRosie »

I am scheduled to have knee replacement surgery in a few weeks and am worried about my RLS acting up, not only during surgery but post-op, also. Will my leg jerking cause damage? I am providing the surgeon with the brochure, Surgery and RLS, but still I'm nervous. Has anyone any advice or experience to share on this topic?

An update on a topic I asked about last summer - RLS and LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone). At that time, my RLS had again augmented and I didn't want another increase in my Requip. LDN wasn't prescribe for my RLS, but since taking it, my RLS episodes are minor and rare. Other benefits I've noted are my mind is sharper and I have more energy.

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone can share on knee replacement surgery.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RR - I know back surgery has been discussed - you might consider searching on the word surgery or knee surgery to see if past conversations offer any help.

I had knee surgery in 2002, but that was just before my RLS was bad. I didn't have any issues at all, but I didn't have RLS bad, either. The opiates probably helped keep any RLS at bay, so it wasn't an issue.

I hope someone whose RLS was more active at the time of surgery can be of more help.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Rosie, sorry I can't help with your question on surgery/rls, but just to wish you the best with regard to your anticipated operation.

I just wanted to make a general comment: - In case of an emergency, I have a copy of my medical alert card, the Mayo Clinic Algorithm, and the RLS and Surgery leaflet, all kept at the computer, available should I ever be rushed to hospital. However, Hubby says that if for instance, I was rushed into hospital in an emergency situation that was not from home, that its a bit late if the rls info is an home. But it is a little bulky to carry around all of the time.

Hope someone else can answer your question very soon.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Re: Knee Replacement surgery

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi RamblinRosie: I had a total knee replacement on Sept. 15th. Still recovering but doing better. RLS was a real concern for me before I had the surgery. I have had RLS for 30 or 40 years and take Mirapex and Clonazapam and sometimes tramadol. I read everything I could about RLS and surgery. Copied some information from Dr. B's book, "Restless Legs Syndrome, Copeing with Your Sleepless Nights." My RLS was one of the first things I discussed with the surgeon. And also the anesthesiologist. Especially about the anti-nausea medication etc. He was very understanding and co-operative. I had a spinal antesthetic, which doesn't cause much nausea, if any. So there was no problem there. I had a pain block, which didn't work. And after the surgery there was some problem finding a medication to deal with the pain. Finally they gave me diludid, which worked. After a while they took me off that and put me on Tylenol with codeine. So I didn't have much trouble with the RLS. When I came home the surgeon prescribed percocet. I continued with my Mirapex and clonazapam and took the percocet. I haven't had much trouble with the RLS. I still take the percocet, maybe once or twice a day. The surgeon insists I take it. He would even like me to take it more often than I do. I was given a booklet about pain meds., which says you heal better if you keep the pain at bay. Also, I went to rehab 3 times a week. And was to take the pain med. before I went to rehab, so that I could do better with the rehab because I was in less pain. It is very important to take the pain meds. And the rehab is VERY important, don't neglect it.
I hope I have been some help. I wish you well. Please let us know how you do. Take care. BETTY/WV BTW: If you have any questions I could help you with, I would be glad to try and help.
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV

Re: Total Knee Replacement

Post by Betty/WV »

One more thing, Rosie: Don't worry about your leg jerking or moving, they put a brace type thing on your leg so that it doesn't move. That was not a problem. You will do fine. The opiates they give you also helps alot with RLS, so that is also a plus. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV

Re: Knee replacement

Post by Betty/WV »

Me again, Rosie: I keep remembering something else to tell you. At first, when I came home I took the pain meds as perscribed. It was every 4 to 6 hours. Now that it has been some time since the surgery and I am not in as much pain, I take the pain meds less often. So at first take the meds regular. It is very important. BETTY/WV

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Betty, gosh, that was such a great post, GG
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

Betty/WV

RE: knee replacement

Post by Betty/WV »

Thanks Dogeyed: I went on and on alittle much but I kept thinking of things to tell Rosie. And I have received so much kindness and encouragement from ones on this site that I'm so happy :D when I can help someone out. BETTY/WV

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's what I like about this forum. :D
Susan

RamblinRosie

Knee Replacement Surgery

Post by RamblinRosie »

Thanks to all of you for your support, and Betty, your answers were wonderful. I feel so much better about having this surgery since reading your postings. I am copying them and will be referring to them and discussing them. I appreciate the additional notes as you thought of more things. If you think of more, please share. Nothing is too trivial. I can't thank you enough. Sending big hugs, Rosie