Video Games

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Wayne

Video Games

Post by Wayne »

I bought a Nintendo Wii this afternoon after my appointment/test. Got it hooked up and started in on the included sports game. Wow! Great fun. You play the games as you would in real life by standing, swinging, punching, throwing etc.. I really got into the bowling game. I almost forgot to eat lunch I was having so much fun.

My point is here that you can have some fun playing games instead of just pacing the floor when RLS is bugging you. For about three hours, I was bowling, golfing, boxing, and playing tennis all while jumping around my recroom. A great diversion.

Gotta see what other games are available for it. Anyone else into video games?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Naaahh.... Not into video games at all. Probably partly a generation thing. However last xmas day one of our 'kids' (4 of them whose ages range from 26 - 33) brought their Wii and we all had fun with it - skiing, boxing, horse jumping and best of all, cos I won it, the hula hoop. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I love the Wii. It took us a long time to get one, but now we have some fun programs and the Wii Fit program with the balance board. I'm not great about exercise, but the fun stuff is, well, fun. My favorite is cow racing against my kids. :wink:

(BTW, I split off the posts from Betty/WV into a topic called "Worsened RLS" under the Pharmaceutical Therapies" heading.)
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

The wii is great, since it involves the whole body, but I think even games that just use the hands, or even just the thumbs, can be really good for ignoring symptoms. It's probably the mental distraction more than the physical action. I think we've established pretty well that anything you can get deeply engrossed in will do it.

Don't assume you're not a gamer, PB... you might not have found your genre, is all. Some people want first-person shooters, some people want role-playing games, some want party games, and some want tetris. I've never met someone who couldn't find at least one game that would suck them in for hours on end.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hmmm... hubby and I keep trying to beat each other's score on spider solitaire.... pretty basic :oops:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

See, you're a gamer! :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yeah, we shout at it!! It has a twisted mind, you think you're doing ok, then wham....

Lures you in.... just one more go.... just another go..... I must beat my/your best effort.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

On a slightly different track - One of our favourites is a cryptic crossword. Lift it up, put it down, go back on it. Like it challenging, but don't want it so difficult that there is no chance whatsoever of completing it, there has to always be the possibility of solving it.

I recall many years ago but after I had left home, my father and I used to do the same sunday newspaper crypic crossword. Oh.. the joy when I solved a clue that he was struggling over, and vice versa.

I can still see his chest go up and down with silent laughter when he beat me to an answer.
Betty