RLS and Cholesterol Meds?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Lewis21403

RLS and Cholesterol Meds?

Post by Lewis21403 »

Hi. I am taking Zetia for High Cholesterol. I have been on a bunch of statin drugs in the past but they bothered the muscles in my legs. I have been on Zetia for a couple weeks with no problems and it got me to thinking, has anybody out there run into a problem with chol. meds and RLS? Lewis........If so, what did you do about it?
Can some one get the snakes outa my veins?

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

Lewis21043, I don't personally take statins, however I work in a Cardiologists office and take many phone calls/complaints regarding statin drugs. Most patients complain of deep muscle and joint pain. No real RLS problems. But, this side effect may feel like your RLS. Zetia is a totally different drug category and won't cause the same side effects. At our office if a patient really needs a statin drug, we try 2 or 3 different meds, ie)Zocor, Crestor, Lipitor etc. If that still does'nt work we will start out by giving the patient the statin drug once or twice a week and gradually increase, if tolerated. However, if that does'nt work, Zetia, Fish Oil, Niacin and a well balanced low fat diet is what's in order. Hope my info was helpful. Good Luck!

Lewis21403

Post by Lewis21403 »

Thank you so much. I dont feel anything yet but with the internet you hear so much garbage it's hard to sift out the real from the bunk.....
Can some one get the snakes outa my veins?