Does your RLS increase with human contact?

Share how living with this disease can and does impact your relationships. How do you cope? What questions to you have?
davew

Does your RLS increase with human contact?

Post by davew »

I just posted this, but realized that it was in the wrong section (the non-pharma remedies section).

I always assumed that everyone with RLS has difficulty with being in close proximity to partners or pets.

I usually ended up sleeping in the guest room 6 nights of the week because I couldn't handle sleeping beside my wife. My legs would be too intense. It was worse when our cat was sleeping at the bottom of the bed.

When watching TV, holding hands was not an option. If my wife put her arm around me or held my hand, I'd almost go through the ceiling. Same deal with airplanes.

I also found that when sitting that I couldn't put my own hands in my lap. That would often trigger a reaction.

I see that there are others on this board that have the same kind of difficulties being close to their partners.

David

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never noticed anything about having my hands in a certain position,but certainly the close proximity bit will strike a chord with all rls-ers.

The memory foam mattress helps lessen the disturbance for a partner but doesn't do much for the sufferer who feels the need to 'flail' about but can't for fear of waking a partner. This is a pressure in itself and so I think our symptoms are easier dealt with when sleeping alone. This is no comfort for those of us who want to share our bed.

And yes, pets are just as bad. My cat befriended my husband because I couldn't bear for it to sit in my lap.

However decent medication has been a great help to me even tho I am up out of bed for a spell each night, tho this is not cos of rls symptoms but because of insomnia and possible a bad habit.

And as for watching tv and holding hands...... not really an option, even when well medicated.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I don't like feeling trapped, and can't sleep near somebody else because their presence seems to ramp up my hyper-alertness, but their presence per se does not seem to set off my RLS symptoms - just the inability to move about for fear of disturbing them.

Curiously enough, wayne_00 posted on the WeMove discussion board that he has had the opposite experience to you! He said: "Recently I have become involved with someone, after a solitary lifestyle for some time now, and have found by coincidence that I do not need any medication whilst I am sleeping with my new partner (please do not infer sex, as this is not the case). My assumption is that higher levels of Dopamine are occurring naturaly and supplementing/replacing the need for medication. Has anyone else experienced this....?" However, his neuro is no longer sure he has RLS. So, don't know how useful that info is.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

bethf wrote:I don't like feeling trapped, and can't sleep near somebody else because their presence seems to ramp up my hyper-alertness, but their presence per se does not seem to set off my RLS symptoms - just the inability to move about for fear of disturbing them.

This explains it very well.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't stand having anyone touch me if the RLS is active or even if the RLS is quiet but it's a time period where I get RLS. Period. For me, it activates the RLS immediately. I also have to have a pillow between my thighs because the skin touching my skin will cause RLS. I can touch my own skin though, with a firm touch, and I'm OK. For example, massaging my thighs can be helpful, but only if it's my hands with a firm pressure. If my husband tries, immediately the RLS is worse and if the pressure is light, the RLS is worse.

My mother and sister experience RLS similary. I wonder if this is the genetic "version" of RLS we have. For example, we cannot tolerate tight clothing or dry skin without getting RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

bethf wrote:Curiously enough, wayne_00 posted on the WeMove discussion board that he has had the opposite experience to you! He said: "Recently I have become involved with someone, after a solitary lifestyle for some time now, and have found by coincidence that I do not need any medication whilst I am sleeping with my new partner

I'm not the same Wayne, but I do seem to sleep better when I'm fortunate enough to have a partner, as long as they don't keep me awake with their noises and movements :D

badnights

Post by badnights »

Ann wrote: I wonder if this is the genetic "version" of RLS we have.
Sounds reasonable. Maybe the "version" also accounts for things like how we interpret the sensations (pain vs creepies vs whatever).