What do you think about Sinemet?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Betty/WV

What do you think about Sinemet?

Post by Betty/WV »

I have a new neurologist, very young. He admits he doesn't know much about RLS. But I like him and think he will work with me.

He has me on Mirapex, .25 mg twice a day and .5 mg. Klonopin at bedtime. The Mirapex is working and I am able to sleep better (not perfect) than I have for many years.

Anyway, I ask him about augmentation, which he knew little about. And ask him what would he do if I augmented on the Mirapex. He said he would probably put me on Sinemet. I replied that I didn't think I would ever want to go on Sinemet. He said he had several patients on it and no problems. I know I have read that Sinemet is bad news. And not recommended.

Would just like to hear what other think of Sinemet??????? :?: :?: :?:
Any personal experiences of ones that were on Sinemet?

Thanks.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have no personal experience of Sinimet but from what I understand - it is not for use for daily rls, only for occasional rls.
I would likely have gotten this information from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm and/or Dr B's book.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I augmented on it quickly - but I've augmented on every DA I've tried, so my experience isn't all that helpful to you.

I wouldn't want to try it, though, because the other doctors are so adamant not to use it every day.

If it were me, I think I'd find a book store with a used copy of one of the two books co-written by Dr B and buy it for the doctor. Maybe he'll read it and become an expert for you and others.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mutsy67

Post by mutsy67 »

I was on it eons ago - before Requip and Mirapex became available and there just weren't many treatment options. I did augment on it but it served its purpose at the time. I don't think it makes any sense any more though. Just my two cents!
Shari

badnights

Post by badnights »

be sure you ask your doctor who has several patients on it without problem if he means Parkinsons patients. Augmentation is unique to RLS and is not a problem with Parkinsons.

up to 80% of RLSers augment on Sinemet - the flip-side, then, is there are 20% who don't. That said, I would be willing to bet that most of the 20% will augment eventually - the studies were not long-term, not 10 years, I think only 2 years but I could be wrong. Technically, tho, he could tell you 20% don't augment and he'd be right.

Neco

Post by Neco »

20% is an abyssmal success rate, especially considering all the other more viable, less torture-prone medications that can be tried.

I almost want to slap him on principle.

mutsy67

Post by mutsy67 »

I agree with Zach.

badnights

Post by badnights »

ya, I know, me too. I go overboard sometimes trying to be fair to all sides of a story.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

All I can say is i've been on all of the Parkinson's meds and sinamet was the worse for me.
One of the newsletters from Hopkins RLS clinic said sorry but it seems it can cause augmentation.
It did for me.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda