Bupropion (Wellbutrin) + Mirapax for RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
john_a

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) + Mirapax for RLS

Post by john_a »

I have been on 6 mg of Mirapax for months for restless legs syndrome, it's caused significant weight gain and I seemed to need more an more for relief.

After starting Bupropion (Wellbutrin), 300mg I have been able to reduce the Mirapax to 1 mg! I can also actually relax my legs in bed, and my depression seems better as well. Hopefully I will be able to wean off Miraxpax altogether.

Have many others had success with Bupropion (Wellbutrin)?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by john_a on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It didn't help me...didn't hurt it either.

What's great is that it's helping you. Hope it continues.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

john you are on 6mg of Mirapex a day? I'm not to up on mgs. but I take 0.5 mgs. 1/2 of this 2 X a day. Isn't 6 mgs. a huge amount? I have been on Mirapex a little over a year and I to have gained weight, which I can't afford to. I am already over weight and very short to begin with . what in the world do I do now.?

I tried wellbutrin and I didn't notice any difference. The doctor gave it to me for figromyalgia pain. I stopped taking it.

Can someone fill me in on the milligrams, I would appreciate it. I know .125 is less than 0.25., 0.5 is half a mg. and I thought that .75 mg was the limit for RLS.

take care.

Betty (as you can see by the time of this email, I have been awake all night. and I have a real busy day tomorrow. The story of my life with RLS.) :x :x
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

john_a

Post by john_a »

Hi Betty,

I take up to 6MG of Mirapax a day (or did). The maximum recommended PER DOSE for RLS is .75MG. Sometimes I need to take .5MG/hour until the RLS subsides. (Max 6MG/day).

Anyway weight gain out of control, and the bupropion has really helped, dramatically in fact. I think you need to take a min of 300MG/day in sustained release form for it to work, and then maybe augment it with mirapax, but 1 MG per day a huge improvement for me. (2X.5MG - or 2 x 500MCG) : )

JimmyLegs44

Post by JimmyLegs44 »

Glad you have gotten some relief! The Mayo Clinic Algorithm indicates a maximum dose of 2 MG for Mirapex, and that if you are augmenting an additional dose earlier in the day may be needed, so I suppose that means you could get up to 6 MG? That does seem like an awful lot. I wonder if your relief isn't partially attributable to the decreased Mirapex dosage?

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I must be extremely sensitive to meds.
I can't take Mirapex,been down that road twice and the Wellbutrin made me seriously depressed.
2 days on it and I began crying and couldn't stop.

So I decided to take half of the dose and was as bad as the 1st time.

I was trying to quit smoking.

Brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Bupropion has helped me a bit in the past with the RLS and PLMD, but no so much with depression, although it does have a stimulant effect for me. I'm not taking it now, because I take Ritalin for my narcolepsy, but my daytime sleepiness is so much better these days that I wonder if the bupropion alone might be enough to keep me awake during the day. Hmmm, something to talk to Dr. B about next month.

I'm glad you've found a combination that's working for you!
Susan

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Read your post about Wellbutrin, my doctor gave it to me for fibromyalgia. I took it for awhile and decided it wasn't helping so I quite but I have started it again. I'll see what happens.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand