stockings

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
sugbrendas

stockings

Post by sugbrendas »

I tried my husbands knee high rx stockings and wore them all day yesterday.
My pain level increased but the bug/rolling vein feeling decreased alot.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Some people get great results from wearing the compression stockings, and some don't. If it helps, keep it up. I haven't noticed that they help my RLS, but they do make my legs feel better in general. But they make me itch.
Susan

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

thanks Susan,
I don't think it's the whole answer. They are very hot and I rip them off at bedtime.

Brenda
Brenda

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Certainly not the whole answer, especially if you have RLS elsewhere in the body. And yes, they are hot and this summer has been too hot to wear much of anything!
Susan

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

After a few days of the stockings i noticed that yesterday my legs were much calmer.
My Dr started me on Mirapex,saw him yesterday. I was on it before with no luck many years ago,we'll see BUT

I didn't even take it or any of my other meds, I fell asleep at 6:30pm and didn't wake up til 3:30a, with nothing! So giddy,LOL

It has to be the stockings since i haven't slept this good in over 2 years.

I'll take the stockings hot or not!
Brenda

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That is awesome, Brenda!
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Brenda: wonderful
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They seem to work for quite a few people. I think everyone should try them to see if it helps. They don't help me - I wish! - but they help enough that it's definitely worth a try.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I was on and off with the stockings then finally I have been wearing them everyday. The difference in pain is frankly amazing. Also a big difference in the RlS.
They do take getting used to. BUT last night I forgot to take them off and wore them all night.

These were my husbands stockings. Although they are the right size the compression may be too much..These are very much like Jobst stockings but less expensive.

I'm gonna measure today and go on eBay to find some with a little less restriction. It appears they measure differently depends on what brand.

So I'm gonna see if I can get away with a more relaxed compression.

I just can't get over how much they help the pain. We'll see...If I need more compression then so be it.

Brenda
Brenda

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

So happy!! I feel like yellling I SLEPT 10 HOURS STRAIGHT LAST NITE!

All I know is nite before I hardly slept, I also forgot to turn my oxygen on and was really tired yesterday.
Last evening I was miserable, felt sick and just didn't want to be bothered. Was extremely grouchy..

Last nite everything was done right. 02 on, all of my meds plus tylenol pm and of course my stocking all day yesterday. I take them off at bedtime.

Of course i'll do exactly the same thing tonite but my history says it's a one night relief. Still hoping though!

Brenda
Brenda

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Fingers crossed....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Fabulous..... 10 hours sleep.
You must be ecstatic
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Sorry to say the following nite was awful but
last night(today) was another awesome nite. Slept 8 hours.

Normally I can look forward to maybe sleeping right every few weeks.

The night in between when I couldn't sleep my legs hurt really bad. Last night I just left my stockings on and it made a difference. When I don't wear them even for a hour the legs go crazy.

Gosh why does getting our God given right to sleep have to be like a science project.
Brenda

bekull

Post by bekull »

I am following this discussion about compression stockings and want to try them. I have a few questions. What type of stocking is a compression stocking? I searched and found many different types ex. for embolisms, painful legs, thrombosis etc. Also, what strength compression is recommended? Knee thighs or thigh highs?

Thanks for any help.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I tried firm compression and they were too much for me,felt like WWIII going on in my legs. The compression was too firm and the RLS was fighting them.

I went to Ebay to thesupportstore and they have a chart. You measure your calf at the largest and the length from your knee to the floor.

I have found both personally and professionally that thigh high's are good if you have knee concerns or "fat knee's" but they are a little more combersome.

My trick to the knee part(knee high) is to wear mine down a little. I don't pull them up tight,the heal may end up under my arch. This way the band at the knee will unfold and hopefully not pinch. it works for me but everyone is different...Also different brands size different.

And I have to say my stockings have gotten me more sleep than any other thing for this past RLS flareup.

good luck,

Brenda
Brenda