Soap in the bed? can someone explain?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jy13131

Soap in the bed? can someone explain?

Post by jy13131 »

I am wondering if I read it right!
jy13131

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am sure you probably did read it correctly.

A bar of ordinary white soap, placed under the bed sheet at the bottom of the bed.

Been there and tried it: it did nothing for me, but I was sceptical to begin with.
May be the placebo affect when it works, who cares anyway, I'd try anything.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I would EAT the soap if it would help! :D
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, it started from a Dr Gott column (some doctor who writes a column that is printed in many newspapers). He said to use it for cramps. Somehow it morphed into RLS. I once read a column by him that said he never meant it for RLS and that is doesn't work for RLS....but by that time, it was years later and everyone keeps repeating it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

If I hear one more person say "Put a bar of soap under your sheets " for my RLS I'll scream.Been there ,tried that! It just does'nt work! But then again, people just don't understand the severity of our disorder. I believe that alot of these home remedies and old wives tales for cure alls are just power of suggestion.It's a mind thing!

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Old wive's tale, placebo effect, whatever.

Home remedies are (mostly) harmless/cheap and you'll never know that it doesn't work until you try. I myself was delighted to find that I get some temporary relief with the vibrating pad on my recliner (which I read on this forum somewhere).

As jy13131 said "I'd eat the soap....".

That's the real problem with most of us, we are desperate enough to try anything. This also makes us more susceptible to the snake-oil salesmen. As long as it cheap or harmless enough, that it's not a big loss the snake-oil salesmen will still be in business

Keep reading jy and be forewarned. I found several documented snake-oil cures on this forum that I might otherwise have considered trying, because I was/am that desperate.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

As they say 'I was that soldier'... I tried the snake oil :oops:
wasted my money.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

After you try the soap under the sheets, then try turning your shoes upside down under the foot of your bed.*grin*, that is another old one that someone told yrs ago.. But hey at that point I was so desperated I tried them both but as most of us know they do not work.. But why always wonder, just go ahead and try them, they are cheap and certainly will not harm you.

leggtree

Lavender fragrant rather than soap itself

Post by leggtree »

Although I have not tried this soap concept, I did watched the Dr Oz show where he talked about soap under the sheets. He seemed to stress the soap was lavender and the benefits of the soothing fragrant rather than the actual soap itself.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

First time I've heard lavender mentioned.
Betty

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Some people swear by these "old wives tales". Myself, I don't understand, could be many reasons why they feel they have been helped. For 30 years I tried everything I heard of. Nothing helped, and I like you was desperate. From doctor to doctor. Finally I got on Mirapex and now I have relief for the first time. Its not perfection, but even though at times I have insomnia, it is insomnia with out the twitchy legs. RLS is a problem in the brain, how could "soap under the sheets" possibly help.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

sleepdancer

Experimenting with TENS Unit

Post by sleepdancer »

Hi. I am new to this board, but not new to RLS. I also have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. I came to this site hoping to hear from anyone using a TENS device to treat their RLS, because I'm hoping their experience will be transferable to PLMD also. I've run the gamut of meds in the last 12 years. They all end up causing more trouble than they fix. Just went off Requip after a few years, and I'm soooo hoping to find a non-medicinal approach to treatment that works.

Out of desperation I began experimenting with the TENS device, which I've had for my back pain. Found a couple general references about putting the electrodes on the legs, but had no success with that. For the past 2 weeks I've used the TENS before bedtime with the electrodes on my lower back, and my worst night with the TENS is still worlds better than my best night on any meds after being on them a while. I feel like I need instruction to fully benefit from this treatment, but neither my ortho doc or my sleep doc have heard of using it for this purpose. Can anybody help? Oh, and what about acupuncture?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello Sleepdancer,
I understand that generally speaking acupuncture is not a great success with rls symptoms, however as we always say, we are all different and there are those who benefit. It did not help me. If you search and check posts by Moonlight I think a few of her recent posts were about her benefits from acupuncture.

Regarding the tens machine I recall there being posts but not the content. A search should help but a search can be a bit tedious especially without the name of the member who posted. Its good to hear the tens is helping with the rls.
Betty

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Interesting that Dr. Oz would mention soap between the sheets. Usually he gives good information, but sometimes even he can pass on some strange information. It is true, though, that lavender is proven to help induce sleep, but you can spray the essential oil onto the pillow or into the air. There's really no purpose for putting soap between the sheets. Although I've always loved the scent of Yardley English Lavender soap.

I haven't heard of anyone having success with a TENS for RLS. There is one kind of electrical stimulation device that makes muscles contract repeatedly, and I can't remember what they're called. But those have been known to help with PLMD.
Susan

SmartKat

I tried it.

Post by SmartKat »

Did nothing. But it wasn't at the foot of the bed.

I agree it would have to be the placebo effect. But I wouldn't want to bust anyone's bubble. If it works, it works, even if it only works on your minds expectiations.