Savella

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Wayne

Savella

Post by Wayne »

At my last neurologist appointment, my doctor gave me a couple trial/starter packs for Savella. It's a treatment for fibromyalgia. A search of the forums brought up no posts about it. Has anyone heard of this or used it before?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry, I haven't heard of this drug. I googled and saw it is also known as Milnacipran.

Hopefully another member will be able to help.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

That's an SNRI (serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), similar to SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Since somewhat conflicting evidence suggests that SSRIs make RLS worse in some people, I wondered if there was any info on SNRIs making RLS worse.

According to Hening, Buchfuhrer and Lee (2008; Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome, the little green book), there are no published studies or case reports of the effect of SNRIs on RLS, but they say "patients have complained about duloxetine and venlafaxine exacerbating their RLS". Also they say venlafaxine has been shown to increase PLMs. (Those are other SNRIs).

So I would think it an odd choice to help RLS, but there is so much I don't know. Let us know what happens if you decide to try it!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If I remember correctly, SNRIs and SSRIs are used for fibro. As are Lyrica and Neuronton. Because of the painful component, I think some doctors see an overlap - and for some patients, this may work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Savella is an SNRI, like Effexor and Celebrex, but it has a much stronger effect on norepinephrine than the others. It's the effect on norepinephrine that helps with pain, and it also helps with energy. It may or may not affect your RLS and you won't know until you try it.

Good luck with it!
Susan

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

SquirmingSusan wrote:Savella is an SNRI, like Effexor and Celebrex, but it has a much stronger effect on norepinephrine than the others. It's the effect on norepinephrine that helps with pain, and it also helps with energy. It may or may not affect your RLS and you won't know until you try it.

Good luck with it!

I could use more energy!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wayne wrote:
SquirmingSusan wrote:Savella is an SNRI, like Effexor and Celebrex, but it has a much stronger effect on norepinephrine than the others. It's the effect on norepinephrine that helps with pain, and it also helps with energy. It may or may not affect your RLS and you won't know until you try it.

Good luck with it!

I could use more energy!

Which of us couldn't?????

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

My Physiatrist just gave me the starter pack for Savella; however my titrations will be lower. http://www.drugs.com/savella.html
I received two TrPs injections today.

I am going to start the pack after the Wellbutrin is out of my system...I haven't taken it a whole month yet; my pain is still real (Fibro) and the RLS is still just as disgusting as it was a month ago..even taking Requip 3x's a day; without it I'm doomed. :wink:

I will let y'all know if the Savella sends my RLS into outer space. I hate Neurontin and I didn't won't Lyrica (not yet, I have gained 10lbs since March!) and my doctor said that Savella is only for Fibro in the U.S. and a pleasant side effect is appetite suppressant. Haha, guess which effect made me jump at Savella! :P

Wayne wrote:
At my last neurologist appointment, my doctor gave me a couple trial/starter packs for Savella. It's a treatment for fibromyalgia.

Wayne, have you tried it and what have the results been? Plz, plz answer.
RLS sux

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Last night I think I had reflux from this med. I woke up at midnight and couldn't swallow or take a breath. After a few scary seconds it eased up. I slept the rest of the night with my head up on pillows.

I have a sick tummy this morning 2 hrs. after my morning dose.

Question:
Has anyone taken this drug?
RLS sux

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi Laura

No I didn't try it. I've tried fibromyalgia medications before and they do nothing for me. I don't have pain, just the creepy crawlies.

I only had the one sampler pack, not a prescription, and after reading the information packet didn't see it helping.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

FYI: side effect

Either this med. is causing Reflux and I am being woken up not able to catch my breath or the med. itself is having a side effect that is causing my heart to race and I cannot catch my breath for a few seconds.

Either way, it scared me and I couldn't quite wake up completely...I felt drunk or something. After a few seconds sitting up, my throat would relax and my heart calmed down...the drunk feeling took several minutes to leave though. I have been taken off this med. after three days.

Also, this happened all 3 nights; the last night the nighttime dosage was taken at 3pm.
RLS sux

badnights

Post by badnights »

Laura, that's too bad about the Savella. Couldn't have been pleasant.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds terrifying!

Managing Your RLS