Anyone tried a muscle relaxant?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
brona44

Post by brona44 »

I gave up on Pramipexol after only 2 weeks just didn't feel well on them. Now my doctor has prescribed Halazepam (brand name Alapryl) it is a Benxodiazepine! it possesses muscle relaxant properties and sedative. I take one 40ml before bed. Just on it two days seems ok getting some needed sleep. Now as far as I know it is not available anymore in America (I live in Spain) due to poor sales.
Anyway has anybody had any luck or comments on this type of medication..... would love to hear from you!

Neco

Post by Neco »

Benzodiazepine medications have been used for RLS before with some success.

Usually it is something more "mainstream" though, such as Valium or Xanax that people end up having success with, sometimes by accident because they were prescribed for other medical issues.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Benzos used to be commonly prescribed to treat WED/RLS, usually clonazepam. They are now widely believed to not directly treat the RLS, but to sedate people to the point of being able to sleep in spite of the RLS. That said, a lot of people do seem to get relief from those drugs.

I took diazepam for years for a different condition, and it helped a lot with my RLS. When I stopped taking it, my RLS seemed a lot worse. Then I took Requip and had augmentation and it got exponentially worse.
Susan

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I tried a couple different benzos and felt like they just kept me unconscious vs. helping me sleep well. But other people really like them. They are definitely worth a try.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

brona44

Post by brona44 »

Thanks everyone I going to stick with it for now and I don't think the side effects are as serious and I feel fine on it though I try not to take it every night! :?