Latest on TENS Unit Use for Nighttime Symptoms

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
sleepdancer

Latest on TENS Unit Use for Nighttime Symptoms

Post by sleepdancer »

Just a bit of an update since I haven't been around for a while due to relocating across country. Living on the west coast in the USA has given me 3 more hours before bedtime, and going to bed at a decent time was a struggle for me. Seemed to sleep better the later I went to bed, so this works for me. Even though I'm sleeping on a couch, I'm sleeping better than I have in many years. My use of the TENS Unit at night for my WED/RLS PLMD has become routine, and has now allowed me to be medication free for my legs for a year now, along with supplements for nutritional support. Was surprised today to find out someone on another forum has started using a TENS before sleep and is having encouraging results with longer more restful sleep. Sure hope it becomes more mainstream as a viable treatment option. Because I have experienced the torment of unsuccessful use of meds with augmentation, I am grateful if I can avoid or at least prolong going on to stronger meds. Hope this helps someone else.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I'm missing something. How does living on the West Coast enable you to go to bed three hours later?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

At 10 PM, say, your body thinks it's 1 AM, so your body clock thinks it's three hours later :-).

I love traveling to the West Coast - I can almost be normal :-). I normally go to bed around 3 AM - though can be a bit later - so when I'm on the West Coast, it's like going to bed at 1 AM for me. Makes a difference in being closer to "normal" per the rest of the world.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

But it doesn't last, if you live there.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That may be true, but it would be helpful for awhile!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have heard about the TENS unit before and if it works, then I would be interested in trying it. Someone told me that our local hospital has reconditioned ones for sale at a reduced cost. I think it might be worth a try anyway.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I got a tens from Amazon at around £30.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

skn0412

Post by skn0412 »

I have a Tens unit. What do you put the settings on and where do you position the patches ??? How long do you leave it on before you go to bed ??

sleepdancer

TENS Unit Use

Post by sleepdancer »

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. My particular TENS Unit has icons for different positions, and I select the one for the lower back. It is set to pulse, although I don't know if that matters as far as effectiveness. I try to dial it up to 55, and keep it on about 20-30 minutes before bedtime. As far as electrode placement, I place them in a square on the very lower back (more accurately, buttocks), about 3 inches to either side of midline. I use one lead wire to connect to both electrodes on the right, and the other for both electrodes on the left. I have found that low batteries or electrodes that aren't sticky enough cause the treatment to sting and be less effective. I've heard there's a product that extends the use of an electrode. I get 3 uses out of them, usually dampen the sticky side of them before storing after the 2nd use and it gets me one more use. Ideally one would have a physical therapist who could instruct them in proper use of the TENS. I do what I do based on trial and error, and believe me, that trial period was absolutely miserable! I have rare occasions these days that I have to get back out of bed and use it again to really rest, but most nights it is quite effective. It saved my sanity on a recent train trip and settled my legs down enough to let me sit still.

sleepdancer

TENS Use

Post by sleepdancer »

Forgot to add that I would love to hear of any experiences with using the TENS. Also, I am taking nutritional supplements that I feel help my symptoms.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

What are the nutritional supplements you are taking? I have been taking amino acids from SomaLife and they have helped immensely. I tried to duplicate their formula at the vitamin store, but the first night the WED was right back to where it had been prior to taking SomaLife.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sleepdancer

Supplements

Post by sleepdancer »

I'm afraid I'm not very discriminating about my supplements. Maybe I'd see even better results if I were more in tune with the different formulations etc. But I just take an OTC multivitamin + minerals, Vit D, & CoQ-10 in the morning and a Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc Combo & Melatonin at night. Also on Rx for Iron and Potassium.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

sleepdancer how come you only get three uses out of your electrodes.......do you mean the pads....i use mine for months......i was told to keep them in the fridge , it seems to keep them sticky.

i dont get any relief from rls with the tens but i do for my trapped nerve, thats what the tens was issued at pain clinic for,

where do you actually place yours for the rls? i may try again
moonlight
sleep is not only a dream

badnights

Post by badnights »

My instructions said to clean the skin where the electrodes will go (to get the oils off), just before using. I took to using rubbing alcohol to clean with, way simpler, just wipe a big area. I don't use my TENS much but I got it ~2 years ago and haven't changed the electrodes yet. At least 2 dozen uses, maybe more.

I didn't know about the fridge trick. That's pretty interesting.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

sleepdancer

Tens Use

Post by sleepdancer »

I am referring to the sticky pads that I get 3 uses out of. I hadn't heard the fridge trick to extent their usability. I have talked to one person who gets only two uses out of theirs. I have pushed it to 4 or 6 uses and found them to be less effective if the seal wasn't tight. I'm just amazed at the reports of long term use of the pads. Maybe I'm getting disposables and the others aren't.