Latest on TENS Unit Use for Nighttime Symptoms

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't heard of disposable sticky pads. I get about 6 uses out of them. Didn't find wetting them helped an awful lot. 6 uses isn't a lot considering the price.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Y'all, I use surgical tape. I have for the same TENS since 2006, lol!
No comments at how cheap I am either...we did this on the Ortho floor when I was in nursing because of sweaty patients.
RLS sux

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Do you mean you've been using surgical tape to secure the electrode pads to the skin after they have stopped being sticky.

Does this method make the entire pad lie completely flat on the skin? I'd be concered that the pad was just lying on the skin as opposed to being attached to the skin.

I am more than happy to think that your method works well. Would micropore do the same job.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

yes, I criss-cross the tape "X" over each pad...lies flat and the edges touch completely. Only complaint I have is pulling on the peach fuzz though but no biggie.

Paper tape needs to be longer to adhere; particularly in peach fuzzy places like your lower back...but I myself do use a paper tape sometimes and because I am lying down the pressure just secures it a little bit more. I'd rather use the surgical tape though but can't always find it unless I stop by my local pharmacy.
RLS sux

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks, I will check local pharmacy and see how surgical tape differs from paper tape (I assume this is what we know as micropore?)
Betty

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

polar bear do you not get your tens and pads issued free by your pain clinic?
I do I feel pretty lucky as nobody here seems to get that
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've never been to a pain clinic. Bought the tens myself well before I was diagnosed with fibro.
Betty

ruby

Re: Latest on TENS Unit Use for Nighttime Symptoms

Post by ruby »

I bought my husband a tens machine last week...in desperation for his suffering. I thought it might be a gimmick with lots of marketing tactics but to our surprise it does provide him with relief and the effects last quite long. He still takes codiene at night, but uses the tens in the day when he needs it.
I have had a very sore back for ages and I get a full days pain relief off one tens session.
Double win! :D
I'm in the UK so not sure if this one is available in the US but it's called :Medfit1 plus. It has a pulsing function which gave me quite a fright at first :o - and variable pulse speeds.
It's well worth a try if anyone is thinking of buying one.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I also clean my skin with alcohol. Afterwards I take a cotton ball and clean the pads. I also use tape to secure the pads. I get many uses from them.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Works great for my sciatica, does nothing for my RLS/WED :( Maybe it only works on particular variants of the disease. Or maybe it's time to try it again :)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Glad it's working for you. I think it worked for me for about 2 or 3 nights. That was a few years ago and I've not tried it since.

PLMDGirl

Post by PLMDGirl »

I haven't seen any recent posts on the TENS Unit for PLMS. Is anyone having success with this? I am concerned about taking the Mirapax and Gabapentin and want to try alternative treatments.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

PLMDGirl, if you will type Sleepdancer into the search box in the upper right hand corner, you will find quite a few posts that discuss successful use of a TENS unit for PLMS. You might also be interested in some of the reports on the use of the Relaxis pad, which was approved in 2014 by the FDA for the treatment of RLS.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

yawny

Relaxis

Post by yawny »

You might also be interested in some of the reports on the use of the Relaxis pad, which was approved in 2014 by the FDA for the treatment of RLS.

The Relaxis Pad for PLMS/PLMD...I've looked but haven't found any information about the pad being successfully used for it. Any feedback?

ViewsAskew

Relaxis

Post by ViewsAskew »

Pretty sure someone posted here that Relaxis is working...but meds are kicking in and I could be misremembering...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.