rls testing

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
rthom

rls testing

Post by rthom »

What is the score I see occasionally referred to in people's posts? ( Sorry I can't find it again) I would like to know what test is being referred to. Who does it, how high can the scores go etc.

ViewsAskew

Re: rls testing

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmmmm- there is a score for PLMs - periodic movements in sleep. Maybe that's what you saw?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I remember it being 38 I think but don't remember what area I was reading in, does PLM go up to 38? I don't really think that was it or else I miss understood what I was reading. I am aware of PLM from my own experience. Thoughts?
Do you know of any other testing that a neurologist might perform for rls?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If it was 38, it was probably about serum ferritin levels. They should be a minimum of 50 and better if they are 100. Many of us find our levels to be below 20. When mine was first checked, it was 8, if I remember correctly.

Improving it doesn't mean that the WED is better, but there is a chance it will get better or at least less severe.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

WED?

rthom

Post by rthom »

I was trying the chat and it says it's non-responsive. Make sense to u? Just wanted to see if anyone is on.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WED - Willis-Ekbom Disease. It's the new name of RLS - or proposed name.

I think the chat module is non-functional. One of the RLS.org board members was telling me it's the next priority to fix.

Managing Your RLS

rthom

Post by rthom »

Thanks much!

rthom

Post by rthom »

This is one of them, make any sense to anyone?

Efficacy assessments were secondary and included the International Restless Legs Syndrome study group severity rating scale (IRLS). Mean IRLS score of patients entering the open-label study was 27·8 (SD 5·9) at baseline of the double-blind trial. In patients who completed the maintenance period, mean IRLS score was reduced from a baseline score of 27·7 (SD 6·0) by a mean of 18·7 points (SD 9·5) to a score of 9·0 (SD 9·2)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's a scale developed to quickly determine how severe a patient's WED is. I've never seen a doctor use it on a patient. Could be they use it and don't mention it to patients; could be that it's not been adopted yet. My guess is that it's usually used in clinical studies all the time, however.

http://www.mendeley.com/research/valida ... yndrome-2/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566275_3

Managing Your RLS

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

rthom wrote:This is one of them, make any sense to anyone?

Efficacy assessments were secondary and included the International Restless Legs Syndrome study group severity rating scale (IRLS). Mean IRLS score of patients entering the open-label study was 27·8 (SD 5·9) at baseline of the double-blind trial. In patients who completed the maintenance period, mean IRLS score was reduced from a baseline score of 27·7 (SD 6·0) by a mean of 18·7 points (SD 9·5) to a score of 9·0 (SD 9·2)

Are you kidding?? I don't have any idea what they are saying. I have trouble reading "Little Red Riding Hood". :lol:
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

rthom

Post by rthom »

Me too and thanks, they make it sound like it's olbvious! I think i'd be better off if they had written it in dutch. :lol:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

rthom wrote:Me too and thanks, they make it sound like it's olbvious! I think i'd be better off if they had written it in dutch. :lol:

Unfortunately, that's how all medical journal articles are written. The audience is doctors and researchers - and it's obvious to them :-).

I

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

fyi it's just a questionnaire. I think it's reproduced in Hening, Buchfuhrer and Lee?or on of the books I have but I;m not home right now. It has questions like "do you have RLS nightly, twice a week, once a month" and stuff like that.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.