Sugar Free, Grain Free and Dairy Free food did the trick

Here you can share your experiences with substances that are ingested, inhaled, or otherwise consumed for the purpose of relieving RLS, other than prescription medications. For example, herbal remedies, nutritional supplements, diet, kratom, and marijuana (for now) should be discussed here. Tell others of successes, failures, side effects, and any known research on these substances. [Posts on these subjects created prior to 2009 are in the Physical Treatments forum.]

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jewelles

Sugar Free, Grain Free and Dairy Free food did the trick

Post by jewelles »

After 43 years with RLS I was put onto a sugar-free, GRAIN free and dairy free diet (alcohol, caffeine and nicotine free, too ) to try to fix a leaky gut and after 4 months the restless leg went away. I was able to come off of Cabaser, Rivoltril, Madopar and Effexor XR that my neurologist had me on because my RLS was so severe. My point is. Something actually worked. I was just constantly constipated. I just wanted to let you know. No easy fixes.
It has been 2 years now and still no restless leg with the exception of a brief period on the antidepressant escitalopram for severe whiplash 1 year ago. It seems antidepressants are notorious for causing restless leg.
All the Best

Polar Bear

Re: Sugar Free, Grain Free and Dairy Free food did the trick

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, antidepressants are notorious in their affect on rls/wed.

Wonderful that in working to relieve and condition that you also got relief from another condition.
Many of us have tried cutting out various items with somewhat limited success.

Well done.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's the joy of having secondary WED/RLS! It goes away when you stop the problem that caused it.

Only wish it worked that way with primary :-(.

For what it's worth, the incidence of WED in celiac patients (untreated) is about 35%, IIRC (if I remember correctly). I don't know if you were tested, but if you weren't, it's possible that you were celiac. It's also possible that you have a wheat intolerance.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I have a am currently doing the no grain, sugar, caffiene and alcohal and it has helped immensely. Have not done the dairy yet, but this might be worth a try.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

very interesting about the secondary and primary WED. How do you know which one you have?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Primary WED is genetic. People with genetic usually know it as they have family members who have it. Sometimes family members do not discuss it, however, so you may not know that they have it. There is no genetic test.

Secondary is caused by another condition. They know some for sure, such as pregnancy, renal failure, and celiac. Newly identified are some other gut issues.

Idiopathic means they don't know...could be genetic and you just don't know that they have it, could be secondary of an unknown cause, could be you got a different set of genes that expressed itself in a different way..... There's always a cause - it's just as to whether it's an identified cause. When they can't clearly point to primary or secondary, it's idiopathic.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

In my understanding, secondary WED is probably genetic too: in secondary WED, you have the tendency for the disease to occur if other precipitating factors are present (pregnancy, anemia, kidney disease, etc.). In primary WED, no need for other precipitating factors. People who have no genetic predisposition to WED can go ahead and get pregnant or anemic without having a WED flare-up.

To complicate things a bit, though, conditions like kidney disease may be able to induce WED in anyone, not just genetically pre-disposed people. That bit is total guess; I haven't read it anywhere.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Dumb question - what do you eat besides meat if you don't eat grains or dairy?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I don't think legumes are grains.?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd also guess that no all grains are out, but primarily wheat/gluten. Many people eat rice, some can have corn, and there are many other grasses and grains that are typically tolerated, from buckwheat to amaranth to qunioa.

And, all the veggies and fruit you want :-).

Managing Your RLS

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I personally cannot do ANY grain whether it's gluten free or not as it actives the WED super bad. I can do legumes, meat etc. And yes, there is tons of veggies and fruits etc.