Antidepressant add-on

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pedrime

Antidepressant add-on

Post by pedrime »

Hello, I hope you all are well. I've successfully taken 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL for several years now with no significant side effects. Previously tried Zoloft and Paxil which greatly exacerbated my RLS. I am currently on .125 of Mirapex which completely controls my symptoms. I've recently experienced some traumatic personal events and am seeing my psychiatrist Wed. I believe I'll need an add'l antidepressant, at least for the short term, but concerned about my RLS becoming bad again. Is there anything besides Wellbutrin that really does not worsen symptoms. (FYI this is not anxiety so I won't be expecting benzos--in this case they'd worsen the depression. Thanks for your time. Meighan

ViewsAskew

Re: Antidepressant add-on

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Meighan,

So sorry you're having a rough time.

The studies show that the SSRIs can all worsen it, but that they do only 2-10% of the time. You could try one and not have a a problem...or have a problem.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

Thank you, Views Askew! I am just so reluctant to endure trial/error with SSRIs because of how low/sleep deprived I am already due to this spiraling depression. I researched online and rad that Lyrica is increasingly being prescribed off-label for depression. I've taken that successfully for bad RLS episodes in the past, so maybe will ask my shrink about it? Does anyone have experience with Lyrica for acute depression? It's something I'd hope to take only for a few months, until I can get back to normal and come to terns with the sudden/ traumatic changes in my life. Thanks.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't any experience of lyrica so can't help you there.
But would like to let you know that I've been taking citalopram for about 2 years without any obvious side effects.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

:thumbup: I took it for nerve pain and as a side effect i told my wife that i felt better. Lighter (eased depression) Hope it helps even if just a bit!

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

Thank you so much everyone, for your responses. This has always been such a kind and helpful community.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I also take Citalopram 10 mg. Any higher exacerbates the WED.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jittery girl

Post by jittery girl »

thank you for posting this question, I have the same concerns and will read with great interest.
"Life is a process. Your participation is required."

jittery girl

Post by jittery girl »

I have used Lyrica in addition to anti depressants. I asked my shrink about it for RLS, he said it was also good for depression so I use it along with Lexapro and recently Latuda. I have come to terms with always needing an anti depressant so I don't have a timeline for being off meds. My priority is not having episodes of RLS. So far the Ultram with Lyrica work, so I am not messing with it.
"Life is a process. Your participation is required."