Piggybacking

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Rubyslipper

Piggybacking

Post by Rubyslipper »

I am piggy-backing on the below post about "what do you do". I know and have heard of some very talented people who have WED/RLS. No idea whether the disease brought out the creativity or not (probably not) but it is interesting. So what I want to know is this--what do you do during those long nights in the creating area. Some people paint, write, make jewelry, pottery, quilt...the list is a long one. How long have you done this and do you sell your creations? If not, would you be interested in doing so?

I have kicked around an idea for several years--a market place for these creations. Another person has contacted the Foundation about the same idea so I don't feel so weird about asking. I have already thought of all the problems associated with this idea (ok, maybe not ALL of them) and right now they outweigh the good. But I am not giving up the idea just yet. If we had a site to promote our items with maybe a small percentage going to the Foundation, it would be a great awareness tool for WED/RLS and help out a little financially.

As I said, there are lots of things to think about but wanted some feed-back first to see if there was any interest.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Re: Piggybacking

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting idea.

I stopped doing the dangerous things - stained glass and hot irons and sharp glass - when the WED got really bad. Plants never hurt me!

So, nothing created by me, unfortunately. Just 400 extra plants that need good homes. They could be sold, actually.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I do lego--custom builds or sets if folks don't want to build themselves. I've made lamps, bathroom stuff, picture frames, pen holders and some more interesting things. Am currently working on a floor. :lol:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

excuse me sounding frivolous - but how would you ever clean a lego floor - with all those little bumpy bits sticking up :crazy:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

I am going to try to durathane it or maybe find another more plyable substance to help keep it from wanting to crack. Will take a lot though. That was my first question too--seemed undo-able until i thought about the clear coats. I love Lego and am finally able to build my own room dedicated to it. It's making me nuts because the fun is in the set-up but it would be dumb to set up all the room without doing the walls and floors. Don't want to have to take it all down in order to finish it---lol. So patience is the word of the day. (not my favourite of course.)

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks for asking--PB

badnights

Post by badnights »

I am not very creative when I can't sleep :( . Mostly I read.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

rthom, even if your lego floor has clear coatings there will still be a certain amount of dust and debris that will gather in between the sticky up connection buttons on the surface of normal lego brick, which is how I assume would be the final surface of a lego floor. How would you propose to deal with that as its not a surface that lends itselt to brushing and using a vacuum nozzle would take forever. :?:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

I had thought about that, but came to 2 options. 1 to use the smooth lego on top--blah, or 2 to clear coat several times on a base that has been sealed to the walls, over and over--like an ice rink till it gets deep enough to cover the buttons. I would need to buff in-between coats but it would work--very expensive at $60 a gallon though. So. i'm still pondering my final option. I used to do hardwood floors so i am used to working with these products some.
Any ideas or questions are appreciated to help me get this thing finished as good as is possible.
The other part of course is the glue to keep it in place--this also helps keep the clear coat lessened---if that makes any sense. :wtf: :shifty: :crazy: :roll:

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Why not cover it with plexiglass or some other clear thing like that? Then if you ever wanted to take it apart you could.

To answer my own question, I paint craft items like wine glasses for weddings, I have had two short stories published (I love to write), I do counted cross-stitch and my own form of scrapbooking.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

rthom

Post by rthom »

I did look into that too but the problem was going to be scratching and the folks that sell it don't think it will stay clear if i top coat it with the durathane. But good one, thanks.

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

I do something between "artistic" and technical......I play the "draw me" game with random (and sometimes perverted!) opponents on my iPhone!! It's quite entertaining.
jy13131

rthom

Post by rthom »

lol, good one! I bet it can be a riot.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I think this is a great idea. You could open up an Etsy store and state that all proceeds go to the RLS foundation. I have sold things on eBay though and it can be quite a job to keep track of orders and get them shipped off. People could mail their own creations to the buyers, but then you have no control over the product and customer service. I guess it depends on how many products we would be selling, I'm obviously working off of the assumption that it will be a runaway success. :P I think we can definitely make it work though no matter how big or small!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It's certainly an interesting idea. A bunch of diseased people who can't sleep at night, and do creative things instead, is interesting and certainly would have drawn me in with curiosity even if I didn't have this disease myself. It would raise awareness too; people would be drawn to the idea of helping out (plus getting the item of interest) and then they would find out that this terrible WED, that they're helping to find a cure for by buying something, is really Restless Legs Syndrome which they had heard about and thought was a joke...now they know better
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.