Swollen legs and ankles exacerbates RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
kickyknees

Swollen legs and ankles exacerbates RLS

Post by kickyknees »

It is interesting to read some of the new posts since I last logged in. Have had great success for at least 2 years on my 1.5 ropinirol 3x/da -- plus 2 hydrocodone (7.5/325) with each ropinirol dose. I am of the firm conviction that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, within the past few months I have had some new symptoms -- most prevalent, an intermittent extreme itching on feet, between my toes, and lower legs that I could only describe in discussion with my neuro as "systemic;" as distinct from a surface itch. At neuro's suggestion, I tried replacing my hydrocodone dose with tramadol, formerly not so well tolerated. The itching diminished, but didn't stop.

Always had slim ankles, but they have been showing signs of swelling for a few months. A few days ago my left leg ballooned so significantly it worried me that it might be a blood clot. Wore TED hose until I could get to a vascular surgeon. Just had a venous doppler on both legs today so I still don't have the results. However, the doctor gave me some new insight toward my RLS.

He asked if my symptoms have gotten worse lately. At first I said no, but almost immediately I recanted upon reconsideration that I have been getting jumpy just before some of my pill times and have been going into my "stash" to alleviate symptoms; also taking an extra .5 at night just to get through to morning with undisturbed sleep. When I told him all that, he said that the swelling contributed to exacerbation of the RLS, and also contributed to the itching. He said many doctors miss that relationship, but that his experience with RLS patients is that they get worsening symptoms with introduction of vascular issues.

I am a 68-yr old female, 40-50 pounds overweight and more sedentary since my TJR surgeries of the past 3 years, but I am now motivated to start moving again. Need to walk in order to exercise my veins, wear my TED hose or compression stockings, lose some weight, and hopefully the itching, swelling, and increasing RLS symptoms will decrease. :wink:

UPDATE MAY 18: I don't know if I made my point that vascular insufficiency can lead to swelling/varicose veins. That's my problem, not enough exercise, so valves in veins whose job it is to push blood back to the heart have gotten weak, so I guess I'm in early stages of problems associated with varicose veins. The swelling is from blood pooling at the lower extremities causing swelling, which in turn, may be exacerbating the RLS. Sorry for any confusion on tying the two together. Getting old is SUCH fun! :cry:
Last edited by kickyknees on Fri May 18, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

jy13131

Re: Swollen legs and ankles exacerbates RLS

Post by jy13131 »

Good information! I would like to see it posted in the pharmaceutical section as well!
jy13131

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Huh. I'd not heard that before. But, many of the vein doctors think there is something vascular going on in some cases. Could be that that the vascular issues do not trigger it, but simply exacerbate it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Really interesting.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Paridoxically, some of the drugs to treat WED cause swelling. Such a vicious circle we live in.

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

Just short of a year later, another update. Have no idea what prompted the itching but seems to have gone through its cycle, reappearing only every few months on single occasions. Mostly wear TEDs now (because I can't afford the high cost of compression stockings) but give myself breaks every now and then. If I wake up with lower leg pains, I put them on. Swelling persists. No weight loss and still need to exercise :-( Unfortunately, there's no magic potion!

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day