Gabapentin, cough and husky voice

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Angierob

Gabapentin, cough and husky voice

Post by Angierob »

Hi all

I've been on Requip for about two and a half years and was getting near to the maximum dose you can take, so went to my GP, armed with some helpful docs re RLS/PLMD medicines which I found on this amazing site, and the upshot is that I've started taking Gabapentin while reducing my intake of Requip by .25mg per night. So far, so good, no nightly twitches much to my relief, but just a couple of days after starting on Gabapentin, my throat started sounding husky and now, about a week later, I can barely talk and have a cough. I read on the leaflet that this can be a side effect of Gabapentin. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, does it wear off? Am hoping it's just a bug!
Would be so grateful for anyone's thoughts.

Angie

rthom

Re: Gabapentin, cough and husky voice

Post by rthom »

I had that happen and for me it came and went, didn't stay just on and off--never figured out what triggered it maybe when i was more wore out, just don't know. Anyway it was an annoyance for me not an ongoing problem--just on and off. Good luck with it!

Angierob

Post by Angierob »

Ah, thanks rthom, was really hoping it was a one off bug cos it's really quite severe. I sound like I've got laryngitis! Will have to see how it goes and maybe revisit my GP if it doesn't go away. Sigh.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I had to walk around with a bottle of water-to help keep my throat moist sometimes.

Angierob

Post by Angierob »

Doesn't sound good. I'm actually off work today cos I feel so lousy. Sounds like it's back to the drawing board for me!

rthom

Post by rthom »

Sure you are not sick?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Feeling lousy sounds like more than a husky voice.
Hope it passes soon.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Angierob

Post by Angierob »

Hi Polar Bear
This may sound strange, but I hope I am just sick and this is not a reaction to Gabapentin! Have headache, cough, husky voice and blocked up nose, plus a fever last night, all of which can be side effects apparently. Think I'll have to leave it another week and see how I am ...
Angie

rthom

Post by rthom »

I bet you are sick----to have all the side effects like that together would be a stretch. Here's hoping for your sake it is....

Angierob

Post by Angierob »

Ha ha! Yes, don't often hope to have a bug but this time I really hope I do!

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I never experienced a cough or voice change. Just vertigo and lethargy at the start. Both had passed within a week.