Sudden-onset photosensitivity--anyone familiar?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
pedrime

Sudden-onset photosensitivity--anyone familiar?

Post by pedrime »

Hi everyone -- I hope you are well. I've been pretty fortunate managing my RLS but every now and then I have my unexplained bouts here and there. And as always I am SOOO gratefulnthis wonderful group exists.

Just wondering, since you all are so resourceful and knowledgeable, if anyone is familiar with this condition. I am seeing a dermatologist and my eye dr., but I value personal experience above all.

Mid-June I began to have a reaction to any sun exposure at all on my left eyelid--even wearing sunscreen, sunglasses and a visor. The morning after sun exposure, my eyelid is extremely swollen, red and flaky. Gradually improves in 2-3 days. Worse with each exposure and now experiencing a little on the other eyelid.

Dr. ordered 'ANA' bloodwork which was negative, ruling out lupus/ autoimmune disorders, which can be an underlying cause. She also told me to keep a journal and look back at my calendar.....drug- or chemical induced photosensitivity is the most common cause for this. I realized I started using a wacky aersol hairspray when this problem began and I would spray the hell out of my bangs with it any time I went out. Reading the hairspray can the ingredients sound beyond toxic. Also, I never put sunscreen on my eyelids in my life....thought I was helping keep them protected but dr. says the ingredients in the sunscreen could have made it even worse.

Anyway my question is, if anyone is familiar with this craziness, does the photosensitivity go away after the chemical is withdrawn? Fortunately I only used the spray/ sunscreen for a short time period. But I know from experience (taking Zoloft triggered my RLS) sometimes a trigger causes permanent bodily changes.

Thanks for your time!
Meighan

pedrime

Re: Sudden-onset photosensitivity--anyone familiar?

Post by pedrime »

Sorry, I meant to post this in the 'everything else' forum--if a moderator could make the correction for me I'd appreciate it!

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Lupus was my first thought as well, but people can develop an allergy to the sun. It's just so strange that it's only the one eyelid.....
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Shoot - I moved it and forgot to respond to it! I wish I had some info to help you....but I've none at all. Just glad the ANA was negative. My best friend has lupus. While it's manageable much of the time, she has some pretty bad times.

My sister, who has WED, had moderate photosensitivity. I've always had mild. No idea why. But, yours definitely tops our experience.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.