Traveling over the holidays

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jul2873

Traveling over the holidays

Post by jul2873 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm flying to the West Coast tomorrow--a six hour, later afternoon/evening flight. I know, I know, terrible time, but we're meeting our daughter in L.A. who is coming in from Honolulu, so it was the only way we could work it.

I'm trying to be ready, and it's my hope that perhaps if we all post our little tips for traveling, we could help each other. So: I'll wear compression stockings, have plenty of advil available, have warm slippers in my carry-on bag, and have my new iPad mini (early Christmas gift!) with me. It's loaded with books and videos and should be a good distraction. Also, my doctor gave me one valium to take if I needed it. I have never taken one before and it's a 2mg. so I am nervous about that. Perhaps I'll cut it in half.

I'm at the level with RLS now that I'm usually comfortable during the day but need to move around in the evenings. And I usually wake two times in the night and need to move around a bit. I haven't started medication yet, although I will probably have to if it gets much worse.

Anyway, I would be glad of any other tips. I'll post after the flight and let you know how it goes.

badnights

Re: Traveling over the holidays

Post by badnights »

I kick my shoes off and sit cross-legged, then switch to sitting on my legs, and keep moving around like that. Not much help if you're not flexible or have bad knees. :(

I am shocked that your doctor gave you Valium for this condition. S/he must have a dangerously poor understanding of what the condition is. Valium is a sedative, which is the last thing you want when your RLS/WED is acting up. It will not stop the sensations, but it will make you sleepy, which means you'll be groggy while being tortured. Does your doctor think you're just nervous or something? Excuse me but I'm about to call him or her an idiot, which isn't fair, so I won't; he's probably just ignorant of the nature of the disease. But isn't it incumbent on him to look it up before he prescribes something that might make it worse? He's supposed to be helping you, not torturing you, for goodness' sake. ARGH

Perhaps I'm wrong and your case is mild enough that the Valium will put you to sleep for the flight and you won't notice your legs. But I personally would never, ever take a sedative without also taking medication to control the WED symptoms, and your doctor should not be taking that chance with you. At all. It says in wikipedia (not the greatest source of info) that valium is used for RLS. I wonder if anyone has had success with it in that way - I only know of horror stories, including my personal ones, involving benzodiazepenes and untreated RLS.

Is this the same doctor who suggested Neupro - that was your neurologist - I'm guessing this is a different doctor, probably your GP?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some other strategies for coping on the plane:

Music (I-Pod or similar)
Aisle seat
Clothing that works for you. Tight clothing can set it off for some. On the other hand, support hose helps others, so do what you find works for you
If coffee or alcohol bother you, avoid them
If you can, add some Suduko or other puzzle type stuff to the I-pad - solving problems can work better then passive reading or watching videos.

Have you taken Valium before? Does it help your symptoms? Benzos do help some people, but not that many. If you know it helps you, great. If you don't know if it helps you, this probably isn't the best time to test it to find out. Once you are on that plane and symptoms start, you will be miserable! As Beth said, Valium is sedating and being tired can set off symptoms. It's too late to ask for something else, but depending on what's in your medicine cabinet, it could work out OK. Opioids, from dental pain/surgery or other surgery, work for most people. Do NOT take them if you've never taken them before, only if you have a script for yourself and have used them before.

Good luck - I hope you don't need any of this info....or the medication!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies, esp. the info. on the valium.

It was the neurologist who specializes in RLS who gave it to me, and I was wondering about it. Actually, I've wondered about that doctor as he was ready to put me on the Neupro at the first visit, before any tests at all. I had to keep telling him that I wanted to wait to see what the tests showed. And, even though I kept telling him throughout my visits that I was very hesitant about using meds he never suggested any other things, or medications, that I could use--except this valium for the plane ride. I will surely not use it now. And I think that if I do decide I need meds I'll find a doctor who is more willing to work with me. I made sure to get a copy of all the testing he did, so I can just show that to another doctor.

And I love the suggestions about crossing my legs, sitting on my legs etc. That sounds good. There was only one aisle seat on this flight and I gave it to my very large husband, but I can always climb over him. I chose the window seat, figuring that middle seat would be the last to go. As of last night it was still empty, although the flights are probably all going to be full this week. If someone is in it, I'm sure they'll be glad to change for the window, and my husband will move to the middle if I ask him.

Thanks again to everyone. What a great thing this site is--something else to be thankful for, this Thanksgiving. We're meeting up with our three adult children and their families (five grandchildren!) in L.A. for a week, so I'm sure that thought will help me get through this flight.

Happy Thanksgiving everyrone.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

On a 9 hour flight, before I had medications . .... I walked and walked. I walked practically every mile from the UK to Western Canada.
I went up to near the kitchen area of the plane and did little circles.
Just said to the cabin crew that I had a movement disorder. They didn't mind.
And it was a continental airline plane..... not known for their leg room or space :)

For the return journey I begged and borrowed Codeine and had a more or less peaceful flight.
Absolutely not to be recommended without medical supervision..... just saying what I did in desperation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Again, thanks to everyone. The flight was better than I expected. When I got uncomfortable, I got up in stood in the long restroom line (love those long lines!) and used the technique of "climbing" described by Ajt0. It worked really well for me, and I was fine the last three hours of the flight. I also used that technique last night and it worked again. I don't know how long it will continue to work, but I am certainly enjoying it now.

Love this forum!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's great when you find a simple something that helps, isn't it? The collective wisdom on this board is incredible!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

:D :D I hope you're having a fantastic weekend with all your kids and kids' kids!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

jul2873 wrote:Again, thanks to everyone. The flight was better than I expected. When I got uncomfortable, I got up in stood in the long restroom line (love those long lines!) and used the technique of "climbing" described by Ajt0. It worked really well for me, and I was fine the last three hours of the flight. I also used that technique last night and it worked again. I don't know how long it will continue to work, but I am certainly enjoying it now.

Love this forum!

What is the "climbing" technique?
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

Valium?

Post by doety »

I thought Valium was in the same drug category as clonazepam -- something most of us have taken or take. What's the difference?
The last time I had to fly (always a nightmare unless I go early in the morning), I stood in the back. The best is when I can strike up a conversation with someone in the restroom line or (even better) someone else who has problems. When we were experiencing bumps, the attendant told me I'd have to sit down. I just pretended to be deaf. Finally they ignored me.
I also worked with my therapist on walking the aisles....along the lines of I won't ever see these people again, they're really not looking at me like I'm nuts, etc.
When I do try to sit down, I'm sure I drive my seat-mates crazy when I want to have a conversation. I do it anyway. Hear some fascinating stories. Distraction like that works best for me.

rthom

Post by rthom »

ditto, I wonder if WED folks are prone to be talkers?

doety

Post by doety »

ha!! Maybe so. Plausible as anything else.
I live in a condo, on the first floor, people coming and going. When my back starts hurting, I'll go to the main office and find someone to talk to. I also work on the weekends at a museum as an "ambassador," greeting people and showing them around. I get tired, but almost always no pain or RLS.
Maybe I should live in a grocery store?

rthom

Post by rthom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Chipmunk, I'm sorry, but I just saw your question about what the "climbing" technique is. It's when you stand on the balls of your feel and first lower one heel and then the other, without ever letting your heel touch the ground. I need to hold on to a counter or something while I do it. I do about 200 at a time, although sometimes I break them up.

I still use it in the middle of the night. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I sort of do this.... just let my heel briefly brush the floor.
It sort of keeps me sane until my meds kick in (if I've been late in taking them).
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation