Traveling over the holidays

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rthom

Re: Traveling over the holidays

Post by rthom »

Is this a calf raise or something different?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Not sure just what you mean by a 'calf raise'... I am 'walking' in one place, both balls of the feet never leave the ground and heels go up and down alternately just barely touching the ground as they go down. Can't do anything near 200.... wow...
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

ok, calf raises exercise the calf. You stand still lifting your weight (either on one leg or both) up onto the balls of your feet--thus using your calf muscles. You can do it on the edge of a step and when you slowly lower yourself back to the floor--you go right down to stretch the muscle--(over the edge of the step) :roll:
Clear as mud I bet

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Nearly same thing - just not down over the edge of the step.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

Ah, ok sounded like--the edge of the step thing is meant mostly for muscle building--so you wouldn't want to use it for WED relief. I also spend alot of time stretching my calfs when the symptoms are bad--the muscles cramp badly and nearly drive me batty sometimes, otherwise it's just a constant state of tension in them that is annoying--kind of feels like a bad bruise all the time.