Recipe's ?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
rthom

Recipe's ?

Post by rthom »

Ok so I am boared out of my tree and was thinking if I cooked a really good selling breakfast maybe my wife would smell it, want it and get up---lol? Any rate got me to wondering if it would be inappropriate use of a thread to see what peoples favourite recipes are--something to share/do to pass the time. So for the moderators what do you think? And everyone else, you want to?

ViewsAskew

Re: Recipe's ?

Post by ViewsAskew »

Works for me. I like everything :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Sure !

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'll look forward to this.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Shall we start with a particular type, dinner, breakfast, desserts, meats ? Or just favorites ?

rthom

Post by rthom »

I'm all for just favourites

rthom

Post by rthom »

Ok So I guess I'll start. I appologise in advance for the complication of this recipe, given our lack of sleep and all.

First make a good basic (italian i use but whatever you like) meatball recipe. Mine is garlic, salt, peper, italian seasonings etc. with beef and pork or sausage.
Cook them small size about a tablespoon around.

Then when they are about cooked combine in a saucepan one jar of welches grape jelly and one jar of salsa (i use med heat but whatever you like) then just add the balls to the sauce and use as a great orderve or add them to the top of a bowl of rice--never fails-I take this to gatherngs and it never comes home :-(

A buddy of ine hosts the rural christmas party every year and uses this same thing--it never is overlooked--he gave the recipe to me. P.s. Don't tell anyone ok? :mrgreen:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My mom makes a similar one - a jar of chili sauce and a jar of apple or currant jelly - I always liked it. Salsa would be easier to find than chili sauce, I imagine.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

my wife found one about an hour ago in a chinese cookbook, with chilisauce, jelly and vnegar and br sugar--sounds like this one gets around!!! loll
Think I should tell my buddy and burst his bubble? lol

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

OK, here's one we love.

Cook 8 ounces of pasta - penne is what I usually use - and set to the side.

While it's cooking, break up some Italian sausage into small chunks and fry in a pan - 6-8 ounces for 3-4 servings. if you like onions, garlic and mushrooms, throw in some of those, too. I leave the onions in rough chunks, not small pieces.

Remove the sausage mixture (and if a lot of fat, take out all but a tablespoon or less) from the pan and set with the cooked pasta
Into the same pan, add
1 c of veggie or chicken stock
1/4 cup of fresh chopped tomatoes (I've also used canned)
a few chopped sun-dried tomatoes (or 1-2 T of tomato paste if you're out of sundried - this gives it depth)
Cook this until it is the tomatoes are broken down a bit and it's thickened some

Add
chopped spices like basil, oregano, parsley (fresh is great in the summer, but dried work, too)
at least 2-3 cups of chopped veggies- I like zucchini, yellow squash, and kale or spinach)
Cover and cook until the veggies are still a bit undercooked but close to done- with these, it usually only takes a 1-2 minutes.

Add
one can of rinsed/drained Cannelini or other white beans and heat until hot - one minute or so.

Throw in the pasta and sausage, mix, and serve. It's meat, veggies, and pasta all together and it's delicious! Can also make vegetarian very easily. Hubby prefers it when I add a olive oil to the veggies when they cook.

It's one of our favorites in the summer when it's too hot to cook much and we have fresh tomatoes and herbs from the garden.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

rthom wrote:my wife found one about an hour ago in a chinese cookbook, with chilisauce, jelly and vnegar and br sugar--sounds like this one gets around!!! loll
Think I should tell my buddy and burst his bubble? lol

It does :-). But, that's only because it's so easy and good!

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

maybe the grape jelly (vs other sweetener) is the "family secret
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:maybe the grape jelly (vs other sweetener) is the "family secret

Considering so many are used, that well could be - my mom preferred currant jelly (very hard to find these days). My MIL prefers grape :-).

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Here is the "Gringo" version of Chicken Enchiladas:
Chicken about 5 breasts, no bones
Onion 1/2 to 1
Broth 1/2 cup
2 small chopped green chili
2 cans mushroom soup
1 can chicken soup
1 or 2 Package Corn tortillas
Cheddar Cheese
Amounts, just depend on how much you need to fill up the pan. I just guess.

Boil and cut up Chicken breasts
Saute Onion
Fry tortillas in oil. Just a few minutes, not hard. Drain on paper towel. I usually put a towel inbetween each one.
Shred Cheese, or buy bag already shredded
13 x 9 pan
I tear up tortillas, four or five pieces, or leave whole. Just layer and alternate tortillas, chicken, onion, cheese, soups. You can have it sort of mixed up, or just the layers.
Cheese on top as last layer.
Oven 350 degrees until cheese melts and whole thing bubbles. Maybe 30 min. Check it

Now Mexican version:
Chicken - green chili Enchiladas
Cook chicken, boil, cut up
Put in blender can tomatoes, or fresh, cans of green chili, or fresh. This is the main sauce.
Mix this sauce with sour cream and salt.
Fry tortillas, drain.
Dip tortillas in sauce/sour cream one at a time, put in cooked chicken and roll up with a little cheese and onion
Put in 13 x 9 pan in a row.
Layer in pan, tortillas, sauce and sour cream, stacked two times
Shredded cheese on top
Some people put foil, back, or leave foil off.
350 degrees, cheese melts and bubbles. If you think cheese will possible over cook, then put foil
Sorry amounts aren't too clear, you just have to play it by ear, and to taste.

Rice to go with Enchiladas

1 Cup rice
chicken bouillon about 1 teasp
onion about 1/2
can tomatoes, chopped
salt pepper

Drain tomatoes, keep liquid
Saute onion in oil, small amount of oil
Add uncooked rice, brown it a little
Add water to tomato liquid to add to rice. Follow rice directions on package for amount
Add chicken bouillon, dissolve
Add tomatoes, salt
Bring to boil, turn down heat, put on lid, cook following rice directions

Another choice is to add raw chicken, four or five pieces, just after adding tomatoes, bring to boil, etc. turn down heat, put on lid
Chicken will be cooked by the time rice is done.

We always have beans with these too.
Pinto Beans
Sort out rocks
Soak pinto beans over night,
Cook several hours with salt.
Let water cook down after beans have cooked/soft

Any questions, just ask. Sorry it's not exactly.
We put sour cream and cheese on the beans after cooked.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Perfect--I love true mexican food--haven't had it for over 20 yrs. And great that you provided both recipe's! :D