Pramipexole Problems

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Re: Pramipexole Problems

Post by debbluebird »

Jakesmom, what are your cardiac symptoms? I was wondering. I want to compare with mine. Thanks

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

debbluebird,

My heart races, with resting heart rates of 115. Then it will drop to 60. My biggest problem is sudden drops in blood pressure to the extreme that I pass out. My blood pressure cuff will show error if it is too low to read, but my lowest on record is 65/40 heart rate 39. I literally pass out. I know it is coming, as I have done it quite a few times. Sometimes it will drop when I am asleep and the nausea wakes me up and I have fight the desire to walk to the bathroom before I take my blood pressure. Because the fainting spells aren't common, I have a heart monitor implanted and it tracks my heart rate constantly. If it goes below 40 or above 175, my cardiologist will get a fax to alert him. But, since I sometimes have elevated blood pressures, due to weight gain, my cardiologist is reluctant to treat me for low blood pressure, which I totally understand.
Before I found this group, I thought I was a fat, drug seeking, whiner. My family constantly told me if I would just lose weight I would feel better. I can't get them to understand that until I have control over my eating compulsion, I can't. It is so comforting to know I am not alone and there are people who have the similar stories.

Sorry I am long winded deb, I can't have sleep meds and pramipexole gives me insomnia. I am curious if you have had similar heart issues.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You thought you were a fat.. drug seeking .... whiner....
sounds like you could be talking about me. :)

I take a sleep med. I am also up during the night for hours. Last night I went to bed at 12. Got up at 2. Phoned my son in Oregon ( which is 8 hours behind me here in N. Ireland) and spoke with him for over 2 hours. When I went to bed eventually at 6am I left a big note on the floor to tell my hubby Do Not Wake Me Up. However, I awoke before him with jumping twitchy legs and had to get up anyway. The point I am eventually getting to here is that in the middle of the night it is like Big Time - Eat Time !!! I have eaten entire packs of cookies + + + + and thoroughly enjoyed every one. But then I did feel bad.
So I am with you on the feeling fat bit,

As for drug seeking...... I would do just about anything to have my WED meds. I am in no way a violent or bad tempered person.... but I would definitly do whatever it took to have relief for my symptoms.
Hmmmm... a whiner ??? We are all whiners at some point. And we are entitled to be so.
I have whined.... many times. And in turn you will find yourself supporting others when they are having a bad time :)

We are all in the same boat.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Thank you Polar Bear!!!!!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Ok. I have a question. When I refilled my pramipexole this last time it was pink. It has always been white. Anyway, it is making me very lethargic and I just figured out why. My blood pressure is 80/52. Would it be rude to call the pharmacy to see if that is the manufacturer they are going to start carrying?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Maybe your cardiologist could talk to the doctor who gives you pramipexole to get it stopped. But then, he probably won't do it. Sometimes you have to persevere in telling a doctor your concerns. My only issue is high blood pressure. But I have several family members with heart issues. So I know it could get worse for me. I decided to get off it. It is ok to ask a pharmacy drug questions. That's their job. Also they can give you information about drug interactions, with other drugs. If you decide to stop pramipexole it won't be easy. You will need an opiod during that period and maybe afterwards. I believe Ann say it can take 1 week to 2 months. It's like going through a withdrawal. It's been about a month for me. I got through the worst part. Now I have good nights and then bad nights. I am interested in how I will feel after a second month. I put on 50 pounds with the drug. I'm already starting to loose weight. I can see a difference in my appetite and the portions that I eat. I feel better. But you must do what is best for you.
As far as the different color of pill, it's probably a different manufacture. It's possible to be slightly differnt, but you can ask the pharmacy. There can be a difference between the generic vs brand. The active ingredients must be the same but the inactive ingredients can differ, according to the FDA.

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I called and spoke to the pharmacist. The one I spoke to is the same one I talked to when I picked up the medication. Turns out the new prescription for 1.5 mg that I will take twice daily is coming from a 3rd pharmaceutical company. So, their inert ingredients will likely be totally different. I was afraid to drive far due to sleep deprivation. With a blood pressure this low, I can't drive at all. Surely this will convince the neuro to get me off this medication.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I just can't believe a neurologist has you on pramipexole AND Sinemet, and knows so little about augmentation that he's put you on Neupro - this guy needs an education! omg I feel like shouting I am so mad. It is not 1980, we have knowledge, knowledge so easily available that you and I can look it up and learn it. This man is supposed to be a neurologist, that's his professional specialty, and RLS/WED is a common neurological disease, how is it that he does not know how to treat the MOST COMMON problem that RLS patients have, which is augmentation?? and we do know? something is wrong with this picture.

sorry, that's my rant. A little ticked off with the people who thought you just needed to lose weight to feel better, but perhaps regular folk have an excuse for their ignorance, not a neurologist, though. He should retire.

I hope your new GP is open-minded and eager to learn. Maybe she can replace the neuro!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I echo Beth's post entirely.
Betty

alaska3356

Post by alaska3356 »

Hi all,
I haven't been on here much, but I can relate to some problems with Mirapex.....I overshop for groceries (you should see my pantry!) plus I have gained about 35 pounds since all of this started. I began having problems when I had my last pregnancy (twins) at the age of 40. I walked all night during the last part of the pregnancy, as many of you have experienced. So it was hard to tell what was leftover baby weight and what came from RLS drugs. I started on Sinemet, then switched to Mirapex and have been on that for about 13 years. I'm wondering if Gabapentin would be any better for me.....trying to lose the weight!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

alaska3355 wrote:Hi all,
I haven't been on here much, but I can relate to some problems with Mirapex.....I overshop for groceries (you should see my pantry!) plus I have gained about 35 pounds since all of this started. I began having problems when I had my last pregnancy (twins) at the age of 40. I walked all night during the last part of the pregnancy, as many of you have experienced. So it was hard to tell what was leftover baby weight and what came from RLS drugs. I started on Sinemet, then switched to Mirapex and have been on that for about 13 years. I'm wondering if Gabapentin would be any better for me.....trying to lose the weight!

Wow, how lucky to have been on it for this long without problems.

I am assuming no problems, that is.

Has your dose increased at all during this time? Or your symptoms worsened?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

alaska3356

Post by alaska3356 »

No problems, except for the weight gain and the excess spending. What other problems have others experienced on Mirapex long term? My dose has increased slightly over the years....I started out at 1.0 mg and I am now at 1.5 total for the day. Symptoms are worse than they were five years ago......I have heard that exercise is supposed to help, but the little I do exercise, I haven't seen a difference.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

alaska3355 wrote:No problems, except for the weight gain and the excess spending. What other problems have others experienced on Mirapex long term? My dose has increased slightly over the years....I started out at 1.0 mg and I am now at 1.5 total for the day. Symptoms are worse than they were five years ago......I have heard that exercise is supposed to help, but the little I do exercise, I haven't seen a difference.

Many people eventually experience a worsening of symptoms. They are still learning about it. They used to think that this only happened when you first started taking the drug (less than two years, for example), but more and more, they are finding that it can happen to people who've been taking the drugs for many years.

You are on a high dose based on today's standards. Not sure it matters since you've been stable for a long time. That it's worsened in the last five years could be that it's just naturally gotten worse. I wouldn't worry too much unless it really starts to ramp up - moves to other body parts, happens much earlier in the day, etc.

But, not good that you are spending too much. That is a noted issue. How bad is the overspending?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

alaska3356

Post by alaska3356 »

Oh, I just stock up on sale items and like to buy clothes at thrift stores. I live in WA state where there is a lot of fruit, so I have a lot of canned fruit, jam that I make, frozen fruit.....etc etc. I end up giving a lot of jam away! So I think I do overspend but not terribly.....no debt on credit cards, so I guess I can manage it.