Horizant Shortage

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
fraujoolie

Horizant Shortage

Post by fraujoolie »

Has anyone FOUND a pharmacy that has Horizant on the shelves?!
Apparently XenoPort and GSK have had a falling out over money, and we are the ones to suffer without medicine. There is no word when it will be available again. It's disgusting how Big Pharma only cares about the Almighty $$$.
I've called dozens of pharmacies.
Doc suggests quartering my dose and supplementing with regular gabapentin, until my Horizant runs out (next week). Doc is hoping for "50% coverage of symptoms." I take that to mean, "You are going to be miserable. Don't call me to complain."
This is going to suck...I just want to cry.
Julie

rthom

Re: Horizant Shortage

Post by rthom »

Julie
That's horrible. Didn't this happen about a year ago too? Thought I read something about that. If so maybe it's good news, they got it straightened quickly and everthing worked out==if I got the right med and the right country. I'm not sure it wasn't overseas--I think it might have been in Europe somewhere. Are you in the US?

rthom

Post by rthom »

Dugh your location is right here, ignore that question. Wish i was cloer and of more help, but maybe someone else will know more, Anne maybe?

tigers9

Post by tigers9 »

I have the same problem. Unable to find it anywhere (called multiple pharmacies). I feel so annoyed & aggravated as I am out. Tried unsuccessfully for 3 weeks to find it. It is impossible!
Liz

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It just isn't available.

Julie, Dr B had some samples a month or so ago when I was visiting. Maybe he has some?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Can it be aquired online--like from Canada? I don't know the rules etc.
Did they pull it again to make adjustments???

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

The shortage is expected to last until June. I would check with your doctors to see if they have any samples to help you get by until then.

I cannot imagine what you are going thru.

fraujoolie

Post by fraujoolie »

Dr B didn't have any more samples. I wish he would have notified his patients- I found out the hard way, unable to make a refill. One of the pharmacists told me that there are only 4 major vendors to pharmacies, so no need to call all of them, if they are out, everyone is out. He said the major drug chains (Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens) all use the same vendor, Target has their own, etc. He suggested calling the hospital pharmacies direct, in case there are any on the shelves. I called all the hospitals in Portland (I need to update my profile! I moved to Portland, OR last summer).

I called GSK and XenoPort and gave them a piece of my mind. I got the standard BS about, "Well, these things happen, there are recalls all the time." I interrupted her, "This isn't a recall. This isn't about patient safety. This is about your greed, pure and simple." Gah. Remember when Horizant came out and GSK asked me to be a patient "ambassador" and shill their drugs? They offered me a small stipend, then it was mysteriously absent from their 30 pg contract they asked me to sign. Basically, they wanted me to work for free, taking time off from my regular job, out of the kindness of my heart. No thanks. Multi-billion dollar drug company. They said that after all, it would be a conflict of interest to compensate me for endorsing their product. Are we to think that Wilford Brimley didn't get paid for endorsing oatmeal? Florence Henderson didn't get paid for endorsing adult diapers? Julie's got to get paid, too. Show me the money.

Anyways.

The XenoPort rep said that Dr B wasn't in their database, but if his office called, he'd be streamlined into the samples route. She was reluctant to even give June as an estimate. Anyways, I called Dr B's office and passed along the info.

Needless to say, I'm miserable and disgusted with the Horizant folks. I am also bandaged up and miserable from having an abscess finally "incised and extracted" today from my neck. It's been quite a week, and I'm pretty sure all this stress (mentally and physically) of Horizant has something to do with this awful infection I got (I have never had anything like this in my life, awful). Off to pop those ineffective substitutes!! Bye!!
Julie

fraujoolie

Post by fraujoolie »

877-936-6778 is their number, if you want to tell your docs to get on the database, or if you want to give them h*ll, too. :)
Julie

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

fraujoolie wrote:Dr B didn't have any more samples. I wish he would have notified his patients- I found out the hard way, unable to make a refill. One of the pharmacists told me that there are only 4 major vendors to pharmacies, so no need to call all of them, if they are out, everyone is out. He said the major drug chains (Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens) all use the same vendor, Target has their own, etc. He suggested calling the hospital pharmacies direct, in case there are any on the shelves. I called all the hospitals in Portland (I need to update my profile! I moved to Portland, OR last summer).

I called GSK and XenoPort jand gave them a piece of my mind. I got the standard BS about, "Well, these things happen, there are recalls all the time." I interrupted her, "This isn't a recall. This isn't about patient safety. This is about your greed, pure and simple." Gah. Remember when Horizant came out and GSK asked me to be a patient "ambassador" and shill their drugs? They offered me a small stipend, then it was mysteriously absent from their 30 pg contract they asked me to sign. Basically, they wanted me to work for free, taking time off from my regular job, out of the kindness of my heart. No thanks. Multi-billion dollar drug company. They said that after all, it would be a conflict of interest to compensate me for endorsing their product. Are we to think that Wilford Brimley didn't get paid for endorsing oatmeal? Florence Henderson didn't get paid for endorsing adult diapers? Julie's got to get paid, too. Show me the money.

Anyways.

The XenoPort rep said that Dr B wasn't in their database, but if his office called, he'd be streamlined into the samples route. She was reluctant to even give June as an estimate. Anyways, I called Dr B's office and passed along the info.

Needless to say, I'm miserable and disgusted with the Horizant folks. I am also bandaged up and miserable from having an abscess finally "incised and extracted" today from my neck. It's been quite a week, and I'm pretty sure all this stress (mentally and physically) of Horizant has something to do with this awful infection I got (I have never had anything like this in my life, awful). Off to pop those ineffective substitutes!! Bye!!
What I find sad is the amount of waste in doctors giving samples. My neuro gave me 10 bottles of samples and I took 3 pills. I can't return them and I cannot donate them and I cannot send them to people who could put them to good use.

I hate needless waste, especially as expensive as that stuff is.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jakesmom wrote:
fraujoolie wrote:Dr B didn't have any more samples. I wish he would have notified his patients- I found out the hard way, unable to make a refill. One of the pharmacists told me that there are only 4 major vendors to pharmacies, so no need to call all of them, if they are out, everyone is out. He said the major drug chains (Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens) all use the same vendor, Target has their own, etc. He suggested calling the hospital pharmacies direct, in case there are any on the shelves. I called all the hospitals in Portland (I need to update my profile! I moved to Portland, OR last summer).

I called GSK and XenoPort jand gave them a piece of my mind. I got the standard BS about, "Well, these things happen, there are recalls all the time." I interrupted her, "This isn't a recall. This isn't about patient safety. This is about your greed, pure and simple." Gah. Remember when Horizant came out and GSK asked me to be a patient "ambassador" and shill their drugs? They offered me a small stipend, then it was mysteriously absent from their 30 pg contract they asked me to sign. Basically, they wanted me to work for free, taking time off from my regular job, out of the kindness of my heart. No thanks. Multi-billion dollar drug company. They said that after all, it would be a conflict of interest to compensate me for endorsing their product. Are we to think that Wilford Brimley didn't get paid for endorsing oatmeal? Florence Henderson didn't get paid for endorsing adult diapers? Julie's got to get paid, too. Show me the money.

Anyways.

What I find sad is the amount of waste in doctors giving samples. My neuro gave me 10 bottles of samples and I took 3 pills. I can't return them and I cannot donate them and I cannot send them to people who could put them to good use.

I hate needless waste, especially as expensive as that stuff is.

I recall a person or two here who've shipped those samples to others in need at times (and filled scripts, too). It's not legal and I'm not suggesting anyone do it. It seems to have made those who've done it feel a lot better, though.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

fraujoolie

Post by fraujoolie »

:)
Julie

jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

I recall a person or two here who've shipped those samples to others in need at times (and filled scripts, too). It's not legal and I'm not suggesting anyone do it. It seems to have made those who've done it feel a lot better, though.

I know it would make me feel better, but it's that pesky word "illegal" that gets me. I totally sympathize with those people who need this medicine and can't get it and I feel for them, but I have too many paranoid delusional thoughts in my brain as it is. I'm not saying anyone would tell; I know they wouldn't, and I would happily check the local pharmacy to see if they have any and can fill a prescription or give out my neuro's number to see if she has samples left.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't imagine anyone could prove anyone did anything wrong if they mailed it the items to someone in a different container (not the pharmacy bottle if a script) or in the sample bottle and included a note that said, "Dear X, You forgot these the last time we visited. I hope you didn't run out. Love X."

My guess is that the post office is much too busy to check packages for drugs when mailing them isn't illegal!

If someone was very concerned, they could always include a fake return address. You'd risk the items being lost if something went wrong, but that probably doesn't happen all that often.

Managing Your RLS

rthom

Post by rthom »

Ann
you are a sneaky one--lol.
In the words of a great pizza maker-----"I think somebody underestimated the sneekyness"