The Water Fix

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
adria5

The Water Fix

Post by adria5 »

I am 50 and have been suffering from RLS for at least 33 years. These days, I get RLS mainly while lying in bed trying to get to sleep. The following technique almost always puts an end to my "RLSed bed legs" on the spot and I have been using it for the past 15 years. It has empowered me with wonderful control over this insidious syndrome and has allowed me to get a good nights rest!

The Water Fix:

1. Take a relaxing hot shower making sure to spray hot water over the entirety of both legs, from upper thighs to feet.

2. At the very end of the shower, switch the water temperature to cold and spray both legs from the knee down to the feet. Take at least 10 seconds to cover the shins, calves, area behind the knees and the top and bottom of feet. Do not spray cold water above the knees.

3. Towel-dry off legs with an upward motion from the feet up.

4. Enjoy RLS-free legs and get a good night's sleep!

This technique may have the effect of pumping stagnant blood upwards similar to the hot/cold footbaths taken after a sauna. People with painful legs due to vein disorders may also find relief. In any case, it has the effect of "resetting" my legs back to a tranquil state

The Water Fix has changed my life. I hope that it works for you too!

ViewsAskew

Re: The Water Fix

Post by ViewsAskew »

So glad it works for you!

Funny story... I read this in 2004 or 2005, maybe a post by you many years ago, and tried it. I almost fell out of the shower I had such a strong reaction! The cold water makes my sensations go crazy, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Before using medications I used cold water in a large bucket as a temporary fix. I'd put my feet and legs in for about 20 minutes and get enough relief to let me get over to sleep. However this was prior to my insomnia being as severe as it would be at present.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I've used the hot and cold water technique and I think it worked for a night or 2, but that is it.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I have to stay away from cold, it makes the symptoms worse.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

It's so interesting how one thing helps someone's WED and the same thing makes another's worse. This damn thing is so confusing!!!!!!!!

badnights

Post by badnights »

With at least 6 different genes involved, and no one of us having all of them, there's going to be a lot of variety out there in the details of the disease, the peculiarities in how it manifests itself. Definitely interesting.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.