Foam Rollers

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
TimG

Foam Rollers

Post by TimG »

I'm an exercise geek, and am often trying out new exercise equipment. I recently picked up a foam roller, which is touted as a good way to exercise and stretch leg and back muscles. I purchased a good quality foam roller from Trigger Point Therapy, which has various sections on the roller that have a different feel on the muscles. I'm hoping it will help relieve muscle soreness after exercise.

Has anyone tried foam rollers to help with WED symptoms? I'd be curious to know how you use it and if it worked okay for you. I know that each person's mileage varies on what works and what doesn't.

Polar Bear

Re: Foam Rollers

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't heard of this, but given my age and my attitude to strenuous exercise I'm not likely to have heard.
It will be interesting to hear if any of our members have tried this and what their opinion will be.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They use the rollers for triggers points and physical therapy, too. I haven't tried them, but I bet it would help. I either pound my muscles or use a hard, firm pushing motion with my palms. The roller would mimic that.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tigers9

Post by tigers9 »

I have the same roller which I really like, however, I have had no improvement with my WED. Nothing helps. My legs feel better while I'm using it, but as soon as I stop, I feel like crap again 24/7.
Liz

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Foam rolling has been very helpful for me. I use a simple hard black foam roller. I find that the harder ones work better for me. I have severe RLS and foam rolling can be painful. I sometimes have to do it more than one time a night and on different parts of my leg. I have to search around to see which parts need it the most. The more painful, the more I need to use it in that spot.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

I also want to say that I use foam rolling in combination with a massage stick. I find that the massage stick can find areas that I don't seem to get with the foam roller. The knots in the muscles from RLS are typically more difficult to get out. I often have to massage the same area over 100 times to get the knots out and even then they may not be completely out.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

If it is accomplishing what you want.... then it's a good 'un.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I find a lacrosse ball to be more effective than a foam roller. My physio therapist recommended it to me as the best way to work out the knots I have in my muscles as a result of osteoarthritis in my hip and spine. I will occasionally use a foam roller to get at the muscles in my quads, but I think probably a device like The Stick will do a better job for me.

I noticed a couple of years ago that when my muscles in the hip area are very tense, I will have increased WED symptoms. Relieving the tension is an important part of my coping strategies now. I release the tension in my muscles, hop into a hot bath, and then I'm off to bed. When that doesn't work, I know I'm in trouble...

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

There are different hardnesses of foam rollers. I use the black ones that are the hardest. I use massage sticks sometimes as well -- but I have to push hard with them and I can more easily get a higher amount of pressure on the area for an extended period of time with the foam roller. Using a lacross ball sounds like a great idea -- something to try out. What you are saying about releasing tension is what I find to be helpful as well. I have also found hot baths to be helpful.